The Student Room Group

Bath or Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Irenicis
Sure, i'll try to let you know. Did you check out the accomodations and stuff?

also, would the international fees be an issue?

Well, if the difference between two unis is marginal then it would be logical to choose the cheaper one. However, if Bristol's reputation is really as high as it is in QS rankings with employers and such then, yes, international fees wouldn't be much of a matter in the choice.

About accomadations, I didn't personally visit Nottingham as I live really far away. However, I met with the representatives in my country and they painted a really nice picture of the place and actually gave me step by step direction in which place to stay.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 61
Bath and Bristol are very similar overall and in economics so I would just go for whichever city you find more appealing.

There both very close too, so you'd still be able to go to the other sometimes if you wanted.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 62
I know that sports facilities are awesome in Bath but how about those in Bristol? Those in bristol may want to share?
I'm not too sure if Bath is indeed the more prestigious university, judging by comments from all over this forum.

any opinions on Nottingham as well?

p.s. I see you're from Bath! Enjoying every bit? No doubt the sports facilities are absolutely fantastic but are their other societies good as well?

Well Bristol is a larger university so may be more well-known, but that's not prestige. Anyway, the importance of the university shouldn't affect your choice, it's the renown of your degree/uni as a combination that counts. Some Bath degrees are tougher than their Bristol counterparts, and vice versa :smile:

I had an offer from Nottingham, but their Architecture course wasn't as good as Bath's - plus I lived in the adjacent city so I wanted more independence, so I picked Bath instead. Nottingham has an incredible campus though, all else being equal I'd have probably gone to Notts.

I don't know how good the other societies are, non-sport societies in any university are only as good as the current committee that runs them.. whereas sport societies are generally good or bad depending on their facilities. Bath is certifiably in the top 5 UK universities for sport facilities, they're hosting the 2012 Paralympic team, for one :biggrin:
Reply 64
due to rejections from my top choices of unis, i'll like to re-open this discussion.

really appreciate all those who visited the unis and cities to express their views!
Reply 65
I really like the sports facilities at bath (i go to the gym like thrice a week).

but the social life that bristol offers is :u::u::u::u:
Reply 66
Would like to point out that Bath's applications for accommodation open on Monday, just so you know :tongue:
Reply 67
Bath is like amazing :-)
Reply 68
Original post by Hemzo
Would like to point out that Bath's applications for accommodation open on Monday, just so you know :tongue:

no no! don't pressure me!!
Reply 69
Original post by mrt23498
Bath is like amazing :-)

oh my, can you describe this 'amazing'?
Reply 70
Bath xD Yeaaah boiiiii :P
flip a coin
Reply 72
actually i was just wondering which would be the more targetted university by the top City banks.
Reply 73
actually i was just wondering which would be the more targetted university by the top City banks.

Its different at Bath because of the placement year. Instead of the banks coming to you, you have the opportunity to go to them. This year 16 went to Morgan Stanley International, 9 to UBS, 6 to Goldman Sachs for placements earning between 18-34K with some earning even more (Goldman paid a student 42k!?) If you are good and can impress I don't see why Bath wouldn't be a good place for career prospects.

I do not know much about Bristol's graduate prospects but I know it has a mathematical course. I must say thought the optional modules are limited in comparison to Bath's. Nevertheless, its a cheaper alternative (living cost) and has a better nightlife no debate there (I've heard from Bath students that Bath is great too.). I would say that it wouldn't be a disadvantage and International employers will probably know more about Bristol than Bath ( this is changing?).

Don't listen to me though I've firmed Bath so I'm biased(apparently)....
Original post by Yash13
Its different at Bath because of the placement year. Instead of the banks coming to you, you have the opportunity to go to them. This year 16 went to Morgan Stanley International, 9 to UBS, 6 to Goldman Sachs for placements earning between 18-34K with some earning even more (Goldman paid a student 42k!?) If you are good and can impress I don't see why Bath wouldn't be a good place for career prospects.

I wonder how many of these people were fast-tracked to an analyst graduate role..no point earning 42k for just one year of your life..:unsure:
Reply 75
oh my, can you describe this 'amazing'?

Okay, the campus is compact close to the town centre. Bath is beautiful! Great atmosphere. Most people are buzzing.

Meanwhile Bristol is pretty much a drab.
Reply 76
Original post by Tsunami2011
I wonder how many of these people were fast-tracked to an analyst graduate role..no point earning 42k for just one year of your life..:unsure:

Lol you can check this stuff out. http://www.bath.ac.uk/careers/destinations/2008/econsandpols.pdf

That is about fours years old, the most recent graduate statistics for 2011 graduates have not been released.

It depends on you ability if you get a job offer. I would say having that experience is very valuable nevertheless.

Recent one : http://www.bath.ac.uk/careers/destinations/2010/econsandpols.pdf
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 77
Was going to choose Bath, but I'm still confused :tongue:

Does anyone know which course is more mathematical? Bristol or Bath's?
Reply 78
Original post by Hemzo
Was going to choose Bath, but I'm still confused :tongue:

Does anyone know which course is more mathematical? Bristol or Bath's?

Too close to call, can't wait to see where you choose!
Reply 79
well i got rejected by ucl and lse.

cant go to Britain anymore.

wont be able to see you guys.

Quick Reply

Latest