The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

I have a quick question on the EPQ _ it needs to be handed in tomorrow so I cant ask my teacher:

You know the 'evaluation of sources' - do you evaluate all the sources that you have cited and referenced in the report or just the ones in the bibliography?

Any help will be appreciated - kind of stressing out now! :/
Original post by harricarter11
I have a quick question on the EPQ _ it needs to be handed in tomorrow so I cant ask my teacher:

You know the 'evaluation of sources' - do you evaluate all the sources that you have cited and referenced in the report or just the ones in the bibliography?

Any help will be appreciated - kind of stressing out now! :/

You just pick five or six sources and evaluate their reliabilty and say how you used them :smile: mine was 1500 words long.

Have you done your activity log? If so how detailed was it?
Can someone really quickly tell me what is and isn't included in the AQA EPQ Word Count?
Reply 2683
Original post by FallenMan
Your presentation is marked out of 10 (at my college anyway, it may differ), which goes towards your final grade for the EPQ-therefore it is a must to do it. I get nervous too, but if you really feel you can't do it in front of loads of people, ask your teacher if it can be just them and a few of your friends-that way it is a more comfortable setting for you. And practise it loads, if you know what you're going to say, you'll feel more confident in it.

haha mannn i got no close friends at my new college. i ain doin it.haha jus gona drop out. but cheers for the advice! maybe someday il not be such a pu ssay and gain some confidence in public speaking!
Original post by Blaze008
i was forced into doing this last yr cos i never got any work experience. i thought it would be easy doing a 5000word essay. BUT i dont want to do a presentation. i cant present. :frown: i get all scared and nervous like im bout to have a fit. lol.. Does anyone know whether its a MUST to present?

Hey, don't worry. The presentation is the easiest part. I was as nervous as you are now before I did mine. I didn't even know what to talk about and how to introduce it, especially since I kept changing my title so frequently, and the fact that I hadn't finished my essay at the time, but I watched a couple of presentations a week before I began writing mine and it gave me a lot of confidence. Just ask if you could sit in and watch, then you'll realise it's not very hard. I suppose for you, the thing you need to overcome is your fear of public speaking? Well, my best advice there is just to practice, practice and practice. Practice in front of the mirror by yourself, in front of family and maybe a few friends when you're ready. The time goes by very quickley and then you'll feel an amzing surge of relief about it being over. Trust me, it's not that hard once you overcome that fear.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2685
Original post by Pensivedore
Hey, don't worry. The presentation is the easiest part. I was as nervous as you are now before I did mine. I didn't even know what to talk about and how to introduce it, especially since I kept changing my title so frequently, and the fact that I hadn't finished my essay at the time, but I watched a couple of presentations a week before I began writing mine and it gave me a lot of confidence. Just ask if you could sit in and watch, then you'll realise it's not very hard. I suppose for you, the thing you need to overcome is your fear of public speaking? Well, my best advice there is just to practice, practice and practice. Practice in front of the mirror by yourself, in front of family and maybe a few friends when you're ready. The time goes by very quickley and then you'll feel an amzing surge of relief about it being over. Trust me, it's not that hard once you overcome that fear.

Good luck! :smile:

haha thanks for the advice :smile: but mmy fear of public speaking is intense! lol. i try practicing it but wen i end up having to actually do it my mind goes blank and i end up stuttering! man i dono wat wrong with me. i might have something wrong with me. i bunked like 100+ lessons this term! wenever theres a presentation task or anything like that im either 'sick' or some1 in my family has passed away.lol sick excuses to bunk but they always work! my tutor is an old lady so its all good! :smile: x
Original post by TheBigDog
You just pick five or six sources and evaluate their reliabilty and say how you used them :smile: mine was 1500 words long.

Have you done your activity log? If so how detailed was it?

Yep I've finished the log just have to check it now - spell check isn't included in the Log Book word document, which has shown how awful my spelling is!

Mine isn't that detailed, about 6600 words. Ive written about a page for each of the 'reviews' and a page and a half for the reflection.

Just finished the evaluation - only written 600 words but oh well
Hi guys can anyone explain what to put in the summary?
I am really confused as what to do :smile:
Original post by harricarter11
Yep I've finished the log just have to check it now - spell check isn't included in the Log Book word document, which has shown how awful my spelling is!

Mine isn't that detailed, about 6600 words. Ive written about a page for each of the 'reviews' and a page and a half for the reflection.

Just finished the evaluation - only written 600 words but oh well

Could someone PLEASE send me a copy of their activity log? I have no idea how detailed i should be or what to put in it.
Reply 2689
i am in first year college and i study- economics, accounting, i.c.t, and r.s
I need ideas for my EPQ project i am going to do a dissertation which has to be 6000 words
PLEASE HELP MEEEEEE:s-smilie:
I handed in my EPQ yesterday but realised I didn't reference any of the pictures I used, anyone know how bad this is? I referenced all text that I gained from other sources but the pictures were added in last and all came from a google search so I didn't really think to reference them in my footnotes like everything else :s-smilie:

Also, are there any examples of AQA Log books or Presentation I could take a look at? My tutor is off alll week and I am really stuck on what it is meant to include.
I CANNOT BELIEVE I HAVE FINISHED IT!!!! Just gotta do the presentation now :frown:

Original post by OSharp
Does anyone know if there's a maximum word count for the Dissertation.

Not just a recommended number ? and is this figure including references or not.

There is no maximum number :biggrin: and I think it doesn't include references but I could be wrong. I hate the way Word's Word Count automatically includes references/footnotes!
Reply 2692
My EPQ is in soon and I'm at about 4100 words but I really don't know how to get to 5000!!! I don't want to make everything all long winded!!
I think the presentation should be fine, but the log book is a nightmare (AQA) and my school has been pretty terrible I've only had 1 meeting with advisers so I am making up the whole log book thing!

Original post by HeavyTeddy
Hi guys,
I'm going to apply for Medicine in 2013 but I really don't want to do a EPQ based entirely on the NHS or anything on immunology/pathology, just because I won't be motivated and I've noticed a lot of applicants doing it. My EPQ is going to be based on Medicine evolving throughout the ages. By that I mean, discussing the influence of certain civilisations on Medicine and how it's practised today. Do you think this would be a good and original idea?

Sounds good, it relates to medicine and as long as your interested in it then go for it!!!
Reply 2693
Hey can someone confirm that you can choose your EPQ on any subject. This is because my friends supervisor said you can't do a topic your studying which sounds odd to me.

For example I'm doing antibiotics resistant and alternative ways to combat them in the future. According to my friends supervisor, I can't do this because I study Biology which happens to have a topic on antibiotics under Genes,Alleles and natural selection.
Original post by N0body
Hey can someone confirm that you can choose your EPQ on any subject. This is because my friends supervisor said you can't do a topic your studying which sounds odd to me.

For example I'm doing antibiotics resistant and alternative ways to combat them in the future. According to my friends supervisor, I can't do this because I study Biology which happens to have a topic on antibiotics under Genes,Alleles and natural selection.

You can't do anything that's covered by your subjects really, unless it's only slightly relevant and you're planning on doing it in lots more detail. The reason being, if you just do what's in your a level biology module you'll effectively get two qualifications for the same thing. But like i said if you do it in far more detail and only touch a bit on what you did in your a level you should be fine :smile:
Reply 2695
Original post by JadeVictoria
You can't do anything that's covered by your subjects really, unless it's only slightly relevant and you're planning on doing it in lots more detail. The reason being, if you just do what's in your a level biology module you'll effectively get two qualifications for the same thing. But like i said if you do it in far more detail and only touch a bit on what you did in your a level you should be fine :smile:

I see, if I alter the title so it focuses more on how to deal with resistant in the future and give a general over view of what and how antibiotic resistance develops I should get away with it. As biology only talks about how it develops.
Reply 2696
Original post by N0body
I see, if I alter the title so it focuses more on how to deal with resistant in the future and give a general over view of what and how antibiotic resistance develops I should get away with it. As biology only talks about how it develops.

That will be fine, for a level you only need to know basics but for EPQ you need to do lots of research and go into massive detail. Regardless of what you choose, using purely a level knowledge won't get you a good EPQ mark :smile:
Hi - was wondering if anyone could briefly answer these questions for me? I'm doing the AQA extended project.

1. Is there a minimum number of people required to attend the presentation?
At the moment I'll be lucky if three attend mine as the only time I could book the equipment was after school :frown:

2. In the production log, there is a summary section which requires an outline of 50-150 words of the project. Mine is currently 213 words and I'm really struggling to cut it down any further. Would this really matter?
Original post by ninegrandstudent
Hi - was wondering if anyone could briefly answer these questions for me? I'm doing the AQA extended project.

1. Is there a minimum number of people required to attend the presentation?
At the moment I'll be lucky if three attend mine as the only time I could book the equipment was after school :frown:

2. In the production log, there is a summary section which requires an outline of 50-150 words of the project. Mine is currently 213 words and I'm really struggling to cut it down any further. Would this really matter?

Hey :smile:

1) There is not a minimum number-many people in my class had only 2 or so other people there (not including the teacher)

2) Is there no way to cut it down? Remember it is only a SUMMARY of what your project was, but don't worry about it if you can't do so, it's only another 60 or so words-you won't be deducted marks for that!
Reply 2699
Hello,

I'm doing my presentation next Friday but I will be doing the rehearsal probably on Monday.

What do I need to include? The supervisor has been very vague in what I have to talk about.

Also, what sort of questions should I expect to be asked?

Thanks

Quick Reply