The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0404343m
At the risk of making you all insanely jealous, I don't really have to worry too much about the library (although for everyone else's sake I'd still like to do what I can to make the place a good place to work in again) as I have my own office on campus. New i5 computers, 19" display, printer, scanner and a few shelves, filing cabinets. The view from my window is the QM fire escape though, so I'm sure I'm still deserving of some sympathy...

...about as much sympathy as I give to the second years' essays I most recently marked. Seriously, if you're the kind of person that thinks citing infoplease.com at the end of second year is a good idea, you really should have anticapted the E that came your way.

An E?! Ooooh :frown:

I like the library when it's quiet :smile: Strathclyde's was really depressing.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
An E?! Ooooh :frown:

I like the library when it's quiet :smile: Strathclyde's was really depressing.

To be fair, he could probably spell anticipated better than I managed to.

Glasgow's library is still damned good by comparison with probably 100 of the other 120 libraries (although seven years ago, I'd have said 115/120). It's still got more books than virtually anywhere else. That being said, it also used to be a good place to go and get the head down to work. Adding in the social areas and trebling the computers have made it into a place to hang and maybe do work if there's nothing on FB or you have no friends to chat to. My sympathy levels for the people who want the luxury of having more convenient places and ways to avoid work is pretty low.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
It's almost as bad as citing wikipedia...

Interesting fact: Glasgow University, 1991 (the year before polytechnics became universities) had a total of 14,000 students, of which 1,900 were postgraduates and under 20% were non-Scottish. In 2011 it has 26,500 students, of which 6,500 are postgrads and 40% are non-Scottish. My own take on this (and the take of at least one Prof who has been there since the 1970s) is that standards are going down, not up, in the sense that for every extra very good student they get, they add two to the ever-lengthening tail of zoomers, and rather than a seminar of 7-8 students with one tube, there's 12 students with four that would be lucky to say one smart thing all term.

...and, according to a recent table, this is a place that's 11th out of 129 institutions for entry standards. I often wonder what it's like at Bolton or somewhere. Are they trying to stick pencils up their noses?

Could be worse mind you. My experience of an un-named university in a small town known for golf on the east coast is even worse. Lots of students with lots of As who went to a school where they were expected to get even more As and thus actually are the stupidest ones from their peer group at school, ending up there instead of where their cleverer mates went. Bloody good education, but no brain cells. Takes less to get them to write polished essays, but twice the effort to get them to use the grey matter in a semi-useful way.

To which, I cite this: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=419733

"So we have to put more effort into recruiting overprivileged students who aren't bright or diligent enough to get three As despite all the money poured into their private education but who manage to scrape two As and a B. They are probably a lot less sharp than the students who get an A and two Bs in struggling comprehensives and come to us, but needs must. Where can we find the recruiting team to send out to the fee-paying schools?"

Nail-on-head.

But aye, while most of my students were at least competent, there are some absolute nutters out there.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5183
RANT ALERT: The library is no longer a good place to study, it's full of people who are there because their conscience tells them they should be, but don't really have any intention of using the resources for more than about five minutes every hour. I reckon the average productivity of people in the library is about 20%. Went to pick up a book, literally the majority of people on level eight at a PC were on Facebook, iPlayer, Amazon or generally not typing an essay/taking notes/reading a pdf. Maybe I just caught them all on a hard-earned 11.42am break or just happened across the one row of PCs where the lazy people were sitting*.

Countless times have I searched every level of the library for a free computer in vain, because as you say most people are looking at Facebook photos of their partying hijinks or suchlike. I've stopped doing it because I believe the misanthropic hatred it instills in me is damaging to my mental health.
I'm pretty sure if you walked into a seminar at some Unis there would be a kid in the corner chewing lego.

/Undegrad Glasgow Uni snobbery.
Reply 5185
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Not so sure about that. When I'm on fb in the library it's normally because I have fb groups for all my courses and it's useful looking at questions there etc.

But then again I normally take my laptop to the library :yep:

Exception.
Reply 5186
RANT ALERT:

I've given up going. The one time I actually sat next to someone doing any work, she was so incredibly annoying I had to leave - she kept going "aaargh!!" and frantically typing backspace, getting a bit of paper out, writing something, scribbling it out furiously and ripping the paper up, going back to the computer, getting chewing gum out and chewing so angrily I'm surprised she didn't choke.
Finally left, somehow found another computer, started typing and realised somebody had been munching and the keyboard was all greasy and there was a Milky Button melted onto the table :frown:

these things are funny except when you have an exam coming up:P
had a wee argument with a girl over a computer. so frustrating.

haha i'm pretty sure i was seated pretty close to celtic anthony on the 7th floor today.
Original post by Cressida
had a wee argument with a girl over a computer. so frustrating.

haha i'm pretty sure i was seated pretty close to celtic anthony on the 7th floor today.

You weren't, sorry. I decided to go for post-exam pints rather than studying.

You should have said hi, anyway. That would have been funny.
Original post by Celtic_Anthony
You weren't, sorry. I decided to go for post-exam pints rather than studying.

You should have said hi, anyway. That would have been funny.

I did. :K:
Original post by Cressida
I did. :K:

Wish I'd seen that.
Reply 5191
Interesting fact: Glasgow University, 1991 (the year before polytechnics became universities) had a total of 14,000 students, of which 1,900 were postgraduates and under 20% were non-Scottish. In 2011 it has 26,500 students, of which 6,500 are postgrads and 40% are non-Scottish. My own take on this (and the take of at least one Prof who has been there since the 1970s) is that standards are going down, not up, in the sense that for every extra very good student they get, they add two to the ever-lengthening tail of zoomers, and rather than a seminar of 7-8 students with one tube, there's 12 students with four that would be lucky to say one smart thing all term.

...and, according to a recent table, this is a place that's 11th out of 129 institutions for entry standards. I often wonder what it's like at Bolton or somewhere. Are they trying to stick pencils up their noses?

Could be worse mind you. My experience of an un-named university in a small town known for golf on the east coast is even worse. Lots of students with lots of As who went to a school where they were expected to get even more As and thus actually are the stupidest ones from their peer group at school, ending up there instead of where their cleverer mates went. Bloody good education, but no brain cells. Takes less to get them to write polished essays, but twice the effort to get them to use the grey matter in a semi-useful way.

To which, I cite this: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=419733

"So we have to put more effort into recruiting overprivileged students who aren't bright or diligent enough to get three As despite all the money poured into their private education but who manage to scrape two As and a B. They are probably a lot less sharp than the students who get an A and two Bs in struggling comprehensives and come to us, but needs must. Where can we find the recruiting team to send out to the fee-paying schools?"

Nail-on-head.

But aye, while most of my students were at least competent, there are some absolute nutters out there.

It really frustrates me in seminars, particularly History ones. It was worst in first year - there'd be about three of us that would ever say anything. The rest just turned up and sat there doing nothing. It hasn't been as bad this year, probably because everyone has to do a seminar paper so everyone has to talk for at least one week, but I find it really frustrating when I'm interested and I've done the reading and can talk, I hope intelligently, about the topics and no one else says anything at all.
Original post by d123
It really frustrates me in seminars, particularly History ones. It was worst in first year - there'd be about three of us that would ever say anything. The rest just turned up and sat there doing nothing. It hasn't been as bad this year, probably because everyone has to do a seminar paper so everyone has to talk for at least one week, but I find it really frustrating when I'm interested and I've done the reading and can talk, I hope intelligently, about the topics and no one else says anything at all.

It gets quite heated in English Lit. Only when everyone's read the book of course. If it's something massive and no one's bothered the deathly silence is pretty awkward.

It was hilarious last semester when I said something completely random about the text that I hadn't even read and our tutor said "OMG Arcadia, you have perfectly summated the ending of the novel!!11!11" and I just sat there like ... :K:

But yeah seminars make me nervous as I'm not sure what counts as meaningful contributions :colonhash:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by G8D
Only one of my tutorials has even been graded and I think that it's come as quite a shock to certain ( the majority) people. Tutorial preparation should have some sort of weighting on the final grade in all courses tbh.

All our English Lit ones are and I think that's why some people are too afraid to speak out. They'd rather say nothing than be 'wrong' (when there isn't even a right or wrong answer).
Reply 5194
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
All our English Lit ones are and I think that's why some people are too afraid to speak out. They'd rather say nothing than be 'wrong' (when there isn't even a right or wrong answer).

N'aw, your tutorial grade barely counts for anything, I think people are afraid to speak simply because it's an intimidating environment - especially at the start of term when you don't know any of the other people in your group or if your tutor isn't very friendly. But there are also plenty people who don't talk not because they're afraid, but because they can't be bothered to read the book or do any of the extra reading and would rather spend the whole tutorial texting.
Reply 5195
tutorials were dull as ****, the whole idea of them in maths anyway was that you attempt a question sheet, then any problems you have you can bring up in the tutorial and have them go over for you to try and help you understand

that leaves three types of people

the people who can do the question sheet without tutorial help
the people who attempt the question sheet but can't do it so need tutorial help
the people who haven't bothered with the question sheet at all so are wasting tutorial time

so with only maybe a third of the tutorial at most really wanting/needing to be there, the environment doesn't really work well
i stopped signing up for them in 4th year so they couldn't mark me down as absent. nobody ever noticed. i still turned up on occasion to a tutorial when i needed help, just told the guy taking it I couldn't make my own at such and such time because i had a doctor's appointment or something and is it OK to crash their party. always fine.
I find I get very little out of tutorials unless they're quite structured and there is specific reading set by the tutor each week. I've had whole semesters of tutorials where it has been a case of the tutor randomly firing questions out and we just have to jump in with an answer if we can think of one. What I prefer is a bit of that, mixed in with group discussions and a bit of lecturing from the tutor... just a bit of info we might not have found in the reading or a quick refresher or something.

Or, my problem might just be that I often haven't done the reading, and the only reason I think the above is that what I've described is what my Politics tutorials were like this semester, a semester I loved and actually did the reading for and had an active interest in. Which made a nice change from the previous year and a half.
Original post by d123

I didn't let my first years away with keeping quiet. If they hadn't said anything in a while, I'd ask them what they thought about something. If they didn't know, I'd ask them about what it said in the reading on that point in its most general terms. If they didn't know that, I'd ask them what they knew about the reading. If it was nothing, then I'd call them out on why they thought it was OK to not bother with doing the work. Crashing and burning infront of ten of your peers usually gets some sort of response from people that aren't complete idiots, and they tended to pick up from there. None of the classes I've taught (except a really, really dismal bunch at Caledonian) have been too guilty of it.

We gave ESH students a 1200 word paper due at the end of week two based on a critical review of two journal articles that disagreed with each other. This was 12 days after being assigned it. We lost around twice as many students as usual as some just didn't fancy having to work. One even came to my office to tell me that 'this isn't history', which was amusing. The papers were of a pretty low quality, but the scare factor meant that the essays we received six weeks later were a lot better than first year essays usually were, so I think it's a worthwhile experiment. It's also good to mark up essays that show thought and effort and go hard on carelessness and laziness. I've handed out low Cs and sometimes Ds for essays that it's clear the student just isn't trying very hard. When they can't proofread three pages of text before handing it in and get everything from the introductions in two books, they should expect low grades.

There are a lot of tutors though that don't know how to teach seminars. I probably talk more than I should, but I often play devil's advocate to lose arguments by setting up controversial theories (like Imperialism being a good thing for the natives) that gets the students to engage with the point. They always have opinions on people, so getting them to bitch about what they think about JFK is sometimes an avenue into discussion. This being said, the awkward silence can be a good tactic by tutors. No one likes them, so being prepared to sit there and not provide answers until someone uses their brain and lungs can work well in making students realise that I won't be handing out answers on a plate and if they want help they have to work a bit for it. I might be wrong, but I strongly suspect that at least some of them might be grateful that I got them into good habits of reading and writing before honours rather than allow them through unhindered to get Cs and Ds in honours.
Reply 5198
I didn't let my first years away with keeping quiet. If they hadn't said anything in a while, I'd ask them what they thought about something. If they didn't know, I'd ask them about what it said in the reading on that point in its most general terms. If they didn't know that, I'd ask them what they knew about the reading. If it was nothing, then I'd call them out on why they thought it was OK to not bother with doing the work. Crashing and burning infront of ten of your peers usually gets some sort of response from people that aren't complete idiots, and they tended to pick up from there. None of the classes I've taught (except a really, really dismal bunch at Caledonian) have been too guilty of it.

We gave ESH students a 1200 word paper due at the end of week two based on a critical review of two journal articles that disagreed with each other. This was 12 days after being assigned it. We lost around twice as many students as usual as some just didn't fancy having to work. One even came to my office to tell me that 'this isn't history', which was amusing. The papers were of a pretty low quality, but the scare factor meant that the essays we received six weeks later were a lot better than first year essays usually were, so I think it's a worthwhile experiment. It's also good to mark up essays that show thought and effort and go hard on carelessness and laziness. I've handed out low Cs and sometimes Ds for essays that it's clear the student just isn't trying very hard. When they can't proofread three pages of text before handing it in and get everything from the introductions in two books, they should expect low grades.

There are a lot of tutors though that don't know how to teach seminars. I probably talk more than I should, but I often play devil's advocate to lose arguments by setting up controversial theories (like Imperialism being a good thing for the natives) that gets the students to engage with the point. They always have opinions on people, so getting them to bitch about what they think about JFK is sometimes an avenue into discussion. This being said, the awkward silence can be a good tactic by tutors. No one likes them, so being prepared to sit there and not provide answers until someone uses their brain and lungs can work well in making students realise that I won't be handing out answers on a plate and if they want help they have to work a bit for it. I might be wrong, but I strongly suspect that at least some of them might be grateful that I got them into good habits of reading and writing before honours rather than allow them through unhindered to get Cs and Ds in honours.

I'm quite lucky, I think. I've had good seminar tutors on the whole. I really like the history department at Glasgow, it's the main reason I'm now going to do single honours. Need to finalise my course choices though - picking 16 courses is hard work, though mostly because there's so many I want to do putting them in order of preference is proving impossible.
Original post by d123
I'm quite lucky, I think. I've had good seminar tutors on the whole. I really like the history department at Glasgow, it's the main reason I'm now going to do single honours. Need to finalise my course choices though - picking 16 courses is hard work, though mostly because there's so many I want to do putting them in order of preference is proving impossible.

16? Is it four per semester now? When did that happen? I've been so focussed on pre-honours teaching and PhD work that I haven't been paying attention to honours structure. Last time I checked it was three 20 credit modules in each term, so you picked six per term in order of preference and they allocated you in. Senior honours was another one course, special subject, and 15,000 word dissertation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending