The Student Room Group

British businesswoman arrested in Dubai for 'having sex' in back of taxi

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2145142/Rebecca-Blake-arrested-Dubai-having-sex-Conor-McRedmond-backseat-taxi.html

A British businesswoman faces up to three years in jail for allegedly having sex in a taxi in Dubai while she was drunk.
Rebecca Blake, 29, and Conor McRedmond were arrested after an all-day drinking binge.
They were held for five days and accused of having sex outside marriage and being drunk in a public place both criminal offences in the strict Islamic state.
Miss Blake, a recruitment consultant, met Irishman Mr McRedmond at The Irish Village, a hotel bar where patrons pay £10 a head for an all-you-can-drink brunch event. After drinking for 12 hours, the pair hailed a cab towards Dubai Marina.
Minutes later they were spotted in a passionate embrace by the driver in his rear view mirror, according to police reports.
Incensed by their behaviour, the driver stopped and complained to police in a patrol car parked nearby. When he returned with an officer, they saw Miss Blake having sex on the back seat of the cab with Mr McRedmond, it is alleged.
A source said: ‘They were completely drunk, started kissing and then got carried away. That’s when they started having sex.
‘When the police officer went over, he found the woman was completely naked and they were having sex on the back seat.’
Consumption of alcohol is punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to £340.

The case highlights the difficulties faced by more than 100,000 Britons who live in Dubai. Officials in the Gulf state have prosecuted several Britons for indecent behaviour over the past five years.
In 2008, Vince Acors, of Bromley, Kent, and Michelle Palmer, of Oakham, Rutland, were given three-month jail terms for having sex on Jumeirah Beach. They claimed they had simply been ‘kissing and cuddling’ and the sentences were suspended on appeal.
In 2010, estate agent Charlotte Adams and Ayman Najafi were jailed for one month by a Dubai court for kissing and fondling each other in a restaurant a breach of strict decency laws.

Not been, would never go. Dubai is flacid compared to other Islamic states, yet its laws like this one are outrageous. Foreign tourists should be exempt from these ridiculous laws.

Now, you can say that foreigners who come here must obey our laws yet many don't and continue their illegal cultural practices here, which is then ignored by the police, so why not in Dubai? The place is a hotspot for western tourists, its about time they changed their laws to accommodate so. They, despite being an islamic state sell alcohol to people (at £10 all you can drink?), enough to get them slaughtered (although it is apparently illegal and carries fines) yet woe betide you get seen in public drunk. On the other hand, this woman was careless and Dubai is one of the last places you would engage in this behaviour. Doesnt mean their laws arn't dictatory and ridiculous.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Meh, the dirty slut broke the law of the land, which she should have known about and adhered to. A country has no obligation to change its laws to accommodate foreigners, tourists, or immigrants. A notion I'd wish the UK would adopt.
I can't agree. Such behaviour would leave you liable to arrest for outraging public decency even in the UK. People visiting such countries should be fully aware of the laws and the way they are enforced and, bearing in mind the likely punishments, should take care not to contravene them.

The same applies to visitors or immigrants to the UK, of course.
I did say that the woman was careless and should have been aware of the laws. It also sounds like shes been accused of having sex when that isnt the case. She said she was arrested for having alcohol in the taxi and not having sex.
Original post by Algorithm69
Meh, the dirty slut broke the law of the land, which she should have known about and adhered to. A country has no obligation to change its laws to accommodate foreigners, tourists, or immigrants. A notion I'd wish the UK would adopt.

Diving in with the 'lets call the white woman a slut' are we?
Reply 5
Original post by badcheesecrispy

Why are you always bringing in race ? The only thing you could bring in here is religion. Race is COMPLETELY irrelevant.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2145142/Rebecca-Blake-arrested-Dubai-having-sex-Conor-McRedmond-backseat-taxi.html

A British businesswoman faces up to three years in jail for allegedly having sex in a taxi in Dubai while she was drunk.
Rebecca Blake, 29, and Conor McRedmond were arrested after an all-day drinking binge.
They were held for five days and accused of having sex outside marriage and being drunk in a public place both criminal offences in the strict Islamic state.
Miss Blake, a recruitment consultant, met Irishman Mr McRedmond at The Irish Village, a hotel bar where patrons pay £10 a head for an all-you-can-drink brunch event. After drinking for 12 hours, the pair hailed a cab towards Dubai Marina.
Minutes later they were spotted in a passionate embrace by the driver in his rear view mirror, according to police reports.
Incensed by their behaviour, the driver stopped and complained to police in a patrol car parked nearby. When he returned with an officer, they saw Miss Blake having sex on the back seat of the cab with Mr McRedmond, it is alleged.
A source said: ‘They were completely drunk, started kissing and then got carried away. That’s when they started having sex.
‘When the police officer went over, he found the woman was completely naked and they were having sex on the back seat.’
Consumption of alcohol is punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to £340.

The case highlights the difficulties faced by more than 100,000 Britons who live in Dubai. Officials in the Gulf state have prosecuted several Britons for indecent behaviour over the past five years.
In 2008, Vince Acors, of Bromley, Kent, and Michelle Palmer, of Oakham, Rutland, were given three-month jail terms for having sex on Jumeirah Beach. They claimed they had simply been ‘kissing and cuddling’ and the sentences were suspended on appeal.
In 2010, estate agent Charlotte Adams and Ayman Najafi were jailed for one month by a Dubai court for kissing and fondling each other in a restaurant a breach of strict decency laws.

Not been, would never go. Dubai is flacid compared to other Islamic states, yet its laws like this one are outrageous. Foreign tourists should be exempt from these ridiculous laws.

Now, you can say that foreigners who come here must obey our laws yet many don't and continue their illegal cultural practices here, which is then ignored by the police, so why not in Dubai? The place is a hotspot for western tourists, its about time they changed their laws to accommodate so. They, despite being an islamic state sell alcohol to people (at £10 all you can drink?), enough to get them slaughtered (although it is apparently illegal and carries fines) yet woe betide you get seen in public drunk. On the other hand, this woman was careless and Dubai is one of the last places you would engage in this behaviour. Doesnt mean their laws arn't dictatory and ridiculous.

lol, is this the first time I've seen this statement actually go the other way? XD.

And how can this if anything be used to say laws in other countries should be excused?

Although I do find it funny about alcohol being sold though :tongue:

Not sure on the background of its source and whether it was sold on "private" land etc so can't really comment on that much as I'm not familiar with practice of selling alcohol there.
(edited 11 years ago)
i think the taxi driver shouldnt have gassed!

I would define any woman who goes on an all-day drinking binge and then sleeps with a virtual stranger in the back of a taxi as a 'slut', regardless of skin colour.
(edited 11 years ago)
I would define any woman who goes on an all-day drinking binge and then sleeps with a virtual stranger in the back of a taxi as a 'slut', regardless of skin colour.

So what do you call the man, then?
Reply 10

There was no reference to the woman being white, I'm sure she was called a slut due to the fact that she'd had sex on the back seat of a taxi (still in the presence of the driver) with a man that she'd only just met in an all you can drink hotel bar.. if she's not a slut then what is she?
Reply 11
TrueLadette
Original post by sabre2th1
Why are you always bringing in race ? The only thing you could bring in here is religion. Race is COMPLETELY irrelevant.

I could have said 'lets call the british woman a slut', yet it would mean pretty much the same thing.

its this status quo-

'An immoral white english woman engaging in typical drunken slutty behaviour, should be punished for outraging those poor muslims/arabs/dubaiers whatever'

Anyway, I didnt say its a racial issue it isnt. Its a mismatch of culture and if you arnt a conservative who never engages in pre marital sex or alcohol you should stay away from long periods in these parts, its just asking for trouble with such a dictating law.
Original post by ThumbsUp
There was no reference to the woman being white, I'm sure she was called a slut due to the fact that she'd had sex on the back seat of a taxi (still in the presence of the driver) with a man that she'd only just met in an all you can drink hotel bar.. if she's not a slut then what is she?

Why does having sex make a woman a slut? Why have no other posters mentioned the mans sexual deviancy?

Oh, wait, only women can be sluts.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
Reply 15
Was she allowed to finish? :cookie:

But not the man?

The story may not be true but, white or not, anyone (male or female) who spends the whole day getting drunk and has sex with a stranger in public in the back of a taxi, in the presence of another stranger, despite the fact that the police are on their way, is a complete idiot and asking to be called a slut. Her employer won't be happy either, so she is likely to lose her job.
Reply 18
by your ****ed up logic, the uk should allow us europeans to drive on the right.
Reply 19
She should have respected the law, we expect immigrants to adhear to ours (well, some of us expect them to, you know what I'm talking about), so we should do the same.

Latest