Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Recommend Me A College' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1400
Original post by jhssapphire
:K: Oh wow....Thanks for the insight. Fully catered is really costly and I don't think I can stomach western style food 3 meals everyday in the long term (being bought up in Asia) I feel sorry for your experience and really, thank you for letting us know....

I believe most PG stayed in Ustinov, but I am a bit hesitant about it considering the distance from dorm to market. What do you think about St Cuth's in Parson Field? ( Thinking of putting it as my first choice.)

I am sorry for the delayed answer. In my opinion Ustinov is a very good choice. It is only for PGs so they treat you better. In Van Mildert for example they are very invasive. There is no respect about your personal space.. Basically you do not have a personal space.
My friends in Ustinov never complained. But I do not know about St Cuth's
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by toktibuglower
Hi, I'm an international MSc Marketing offer holder. Most of my lectures will be at Ushaw college (and the remaining few at Business School). I only care about the distance and the accommodation. Which college would you suggest?

Hi,
i live in van mildert college and i agree with EleS about the environment in here.
I am an international student so when I was asked to choose which college to live in i preferred van mildert because of the location. Unfortunately, almost everything in here is messed up. The worst thing? If you have any problem and want to discuss about it with the board or with any offices they just ignore you.
I would suggest for the business school, St Aidens college but it's not self-catered and i don't know your standards but here they're very low.
Ustinov is PG's based and self-catered. I believe it to be the best choice and you can easily take the bus to reach Ushaw college.

I hope this is helpful.
Hi all,I will be studying PGCE Primary in September.I'm looking for some general advice about which college is most suitable for PGCE students. I'm also wondering whether the fully catered option is recommended for PGCE students? I love the idea of saving so much time by not having to prepare meals, but I'm also worried that we would miss a lot of meals while on placement. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Can anyone recommend a college for a postgrad student, I'm doing my Masters in Social Work and have no idea which college is for me?
Hi I just got allocated to St Mary's college and from what I've seen, it looks like a very scenic college!

I was just wondering about the sport societies in Durham; is there a handball society that plays regularly and are sports clubs receptive towards new players looking to get into the sport? And how's the catered food in St Mary's? A big part of university I was looking forward to was to cook my own food and bake but I understand St Mary's is a fully catered college.
Hello!

I'm wondering if you could recommend a college to a PGCE Biology student. I'd like a strong sense of community or at least the ability to meet other teachers and mingle with people :smile: Gowned formals would be great but not a deal breaker. Maybe somewhere I could put my car or park it nearby?

Any ideas?
If you're looking for a strong sense of community and the opportunity to mingle with students from different levels including teachers then I think St Chad's might be good for you. It's very small and they organise mixed formal dinners where you sit with undergrads, postgrads and staff. But then I can't speak for other colleges so they might do the same
Original post by tashanaleigh
Can anyone recommend a college for a postgrad student, I'm doing my Masters in Social Work and have no idea which college is for me?

Hi! I'm doing a masters in IR and got allocated to St Mary's - from what I've heard its a very friendly and scenic college with a great postgrad atmosphere. Have you been allocated yet?
Original post by Hattie9
Hi! I'm doing a masters in IR and got allocated to St Mary's - from what I've heard its a very friendly and scenic college with a great postgrad atmosphere. Have you been allocated yet?

Hi, yes I was allocated Castle Collage. Wanted to be in the traditional student environment - just hope come Oct I don't change my mind!!
Reply 1409
Which college/colleges would you say have the prettiest (in terms of being old and historic) buildings and the most formal atmosphere in terms of formal dinner and occasions like the balls?
Hi, looking for college recommendations.
Looked at Grey and preferred it to St Chad's but I have social anxiety so the concept of sharing vs the pressure of sharing puts me off any colleges that have a high percentage shared.
I'm studying Modern Languages and Cultures, so the Hill is a bit of way. What would you guys recommend?
Original post by Purpletaylor
Hi, looking for college recommendations.
Looked at Grey and preferred it to St Chad's but I have social anxiety so the concept of sharing vs the pressure of sharing puts me off any colleges that have a high percentage shared.
I'm studying Modern Languages and Cultures, so the Hill is a bit of way. What would you guys recommend?

If you can provide medical evidence with regards to your anxiety, I believe most colleges will be able to make it so that you don't have to share a room (particularly not in first term, since some colleges change rooms each term, so it's possible that you might be able to share with someone you feel comfortable knowing in a later term). As far as things being "a bit of a way", nowhere in Durham is actually that far. I could walk from Butler to Elvet Riverside in less than 20 minutes, and it's probably about 10 minutes from Grey. The furthest I've ever had to walk in Durham is an hour, and that was from Butler to Gilesgate Tesco, and that was a one off journey about 3 miles.

Basically, pick which college you think would work for you if you can supply the college with evidence regarding room sharing. I believe Butler and Hild Bede are the only two which will guarantee that you're not sharing regardless.
What colleges are close to the English department/majority of their buildings?
Original post by ctenglish
What colleges are close to the English department/majority of their buildings?

The English department operates mostly from Elvet or Hallgarth House (on Hallgarth Street), so the Bailey colleges and Mary's would generally be the closest. Hatfield and Cuth's Parsons Field site are the two which are the closest closest, but it's at most 15/20 minutes from any college.
Hey all,

I'm a 21-year-old blind EU student and willl be applying to durham for 2017 to study English with foundation. I've applied there before and got an offer for the standard BA English course, but I had to turn it down for various reasons. I've been trying and trying to take a level 3 qualification (either an A-level or an IB exam) in English literature, but Hungary isn't the easiest of places to take either the A-level or the IB - only two schools offer them and neither of them will accept private candidates. I have just discovered this 4-year English with foundation and well, it would be the ideal course for me - even better than an Oxbridge offer would have been!

When I applied in February, I made an open application. This time I want to choose a college that is
- relatively close both to the foundation centre and the English department.
- has a good support system (I will obviously need someone to tae me to classes and back, at least or the first few months!)
- 3 meals a day, 7 days a week
- relatively accessible accommodation
Original post by dorababy1995
Hey all,

I'm a 21-year-old blind EU student and willl be applying to durham for 2017 to study English with foundation. I've applied there before and got an offer for the standard BA English course, but I had to turn it down for various reasons. I've been trying and trying to take a level 3 qualification (either an A-level or an IB exam) in English literature, but Hungary isn't the easiest of places to take either the A-level or the IB - only two schools offer them and neither of them will accept private candidates. I have just discovered this 4-year English with foundation and well, it would be the ideal course for me - even better than an Oxbridge offer would have been!

When I applied in February, I made an open application. This time I want to choose a college that is
- relatively close both to the foundation centre and the English department.
- has a good support system (I will obviously need someone to tae me to classes and back, at least or the first few months!)
- 3 meals a day, 7 days a week
- relatively accessible accommodation

Hild Bede may well be the best for you! It's close to both Elvet Riverside for English and the education centre, where I believe foundation years are held, is pretty much within the college itself. No Durham colleges offer 3 meals a day every day of the week as far as I know; weekends are brunch and dinner instead, but you'll get that at Hild Bede. The only thing I'm not sure about is how accessible the accommodation is, but they have so many students and therefore so many rooms that I would be very surprised were they not able to find you somewhere that suits you.
Original post by clonedmemories
Hild Bede may well be the best for you! It's close to both Elvet Riverside for English and the education centre, where I believe foundation years are held, is pretty much within the college itself. No Durham colleges offer 3 meals a day every day of the week as far as I know; weekends are brunch and dinner instead, but you'll get that at Hild Bede. The only thing I'm not sure about is how accessible the accommodation is, but they have so many students and therefore so many rooms that I would be very surprised were they not able to find you somewhere that suits you.

Collingwood does!
Original post by clonedmemories
The English department operates mostly from Elvet or Hallgarth House (on Hallgarth Street), so the Bailey colleges and Mary's would generally be the closest. Hatfield and Cuth's Parsons Field site are the two which are the closest closest, but it's at most 15/20 minutes from any college.

Thank you!
Hey everyone

I understand that you must be a member of a college, even if you are staying at home or in private accomodation. However, there's 72 pages and I mean, come on!

I was hoping there would be a list that would weigh up the pro's and con's of each college, as in their approximate location to certain spots, sports, gym, social events (and theme), etc. Have I missed it, or does it not exist?

Thanks.
Original post by PaulieM
Hey everyone

I understand that you must be a member of a college, even if you are staying at home or in private accomodation. However, there's 72 pages and I mean, come on!

I was hoping there would be a list that would weigh up the pro's and con's of each college, as in their approximate location to certain spots, sports, gym, social events (and theme), etc. Have I missed it, or does it not exist?

Thanks.

To be fair, it can be summarised with the following points:

Everywhere is near everywhere in Durham.
The Hill/Bailey/Hill Bede split.
JoBo is completely self catered.
Castle is a castle.
The varying sizes of the colleges.

It's important to note that (unlike Oxbridge) teaching is completely centralised.

Clearly, there are other things to take account of, but these tend to be the main factors that people consider.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest