The Student Room Group

2012 Uni Applicants for Photography

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joan-of-Arc
Take what you feel is strongest. I would at least put some pieces in from your mini portfolio :smile:

Also don't take tons and tons, you will just get sore arms!

I have an interview for ECA next week too, just wondering how much artwork, painting, drawing etc you would recommend to take versus photographic work? I know GSA is big on seeing a very broad portfolio when applying for photography but I wasn't sure if ECA is the same.
just sort of a random question to everyone, how are the facilities at university of brighton for photography and art in general?
Original post by Astroknots
I have an interview for ECA next week too, just wondering how much artwork, painting, drawing etc you would recommend to take versus photographic work? I know GSA is big on seeing a very broad portfolio when applying for photography but I wasn't sure if ECA is the same.

If your applying for first year entry I would say put drawing and painting in, but I would put a stronger focus on your photography (or at least show how your paintings and drawings have some sort of connection to the photographic medium)

Also! If you are direct entry applicant, everyone seemed to be different but I had just pure photography within the portfolio (I was offered 1st year GSA and 2nd year ECA with the same portfolio)

Hope that helped :smile:
Original post by Senika
Sounds awesome, thanks! Do you have a lot of practical classes or is it just essay writing? I read somewhere on TSR that "some tutors treat talented students like competition are try to bring them down" :confused: Is that true?

Its mainly practical and self negotiated. Visual culture (which is essay writing and lectures) is only once a week -an hour lecture and an hour tutorial which is not too bad. When it comes to second year second term you get to pick electives (You get a choice of around 5 subjects and do one)

As for the tutors, the main head David is a sweetheart and the technicians are lovely. There is one lecturer who is a complete pain in the ass but you do not get her very often (she mainly deals with post grads) . I think all art schools are going to have at least one horrid tutor!

:smile:
Reply 304
Its mainly practical and self negotiated. Visual culture (which is essay writing and lectures) is only once a week -an hour lecture and an hour tutorial which is not too bad. When it comes to second year second term you get to pick electives (You get a choice of around 5 subjects and do one)

As for the tutors, the main head David is a sweetheart and the technicians are lovely. There is one lecturer who is a complete pain in the ass but you do not get her very often (she mainly deals with post grads) . I think all art schools are going to have at least one horrid tutor!

:smile:

Thank you for your answers :smile: If I get into both ECA and Napier I'll have really hard time deciding...
Anybody got an interview for Photography at Falmouth? I submitted an online portfolio and not heard anything ( a month later.)

Does anyone have an interview for photography at Brighton? :smile:
Original post by squishbish(:
Anybody got an interview for Photography at Falmouth? I submitted an online portfolio and not heard anything ( a month later.)

Does anyone have an interview for photography at Brighton? :smile:

I have an unconditional from Falmouth so be able to help. Think they are being slow because they have been interviewing people as well - might be worth just dropping admissions an email though. Falmouths facilities are in my opinion the best in the country though - well worth seeing if you get to interview :smile:

Marcus
Original post by MarcusHoare1
I have an unconditional from Falmouth so be able to help. Think they are being slow because they have been interviewing people as well - might be worth just dropping admissions an email though. Falmouths facilities are in my opinion the best in the country though - well worth seeing if you get to interview :smile:

Marcus

Oh wow, that's great :smile:. Ah ok, does it all depend on when i applied because i was only a few days before deadline. I've heard it's the best or one of them. Are you definitely going there? What was the interview like? Did you just take photography work? Sorry 21 questions :biggrin:

Amie
Original post by squishbish(:
Oh wow, that's great :smile:. Ah ok, does it all depend on when i applied because i was only a few days before deadline. I've heard it's the best or one of them. Are you definitely going there? What was the interview like? Did you just take photography work? Sorry 21 questions :biggrin:

Amie

Well I applied for Marine and Natural History Photography but I took 15 A3 prints , 2 photobooks and a sample of my written work. They should send through a yellow sheet telling you what to bring .
100% going there amazing facilities amazing location and its one of only 2 wildlife photography courses in the country already firmed it with ucas.

My interview was slightly strange because they seemed more interested in me as a person than my portfolio - asked questions like would you settle in - why did you apply - where else did you apply, had to talk about my favourite image from my portfolio - they seemed really laid back.
Feel free to ask anything else
marcus :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
If your applying for first year entry I would say put drawing and painting in, but I would put a stronger focus on your photography (or at least show how your paintings and drawings have some sort of connection to the photographic medium)

Also! If you are direct entry applicant, everyone seemed to be different but I had just pure photography within the portfolio (I was offered 1st year GSA and 2nd year ECA with the same portfolio)

Hope that helped :smile:

Thanks so much for this! Helps a lot as I'll be applying for second year entry and I'm already studying for the HND, really wasn't sure what to include in the way of drawing, painting.

I had an interview for Napier earlier this week but still haven't heard any result yet :-/ A lot of people seem to have heard back the same or next day.
just had an applicant day with eca, holy crap the facilities are awesome, just had to say that
Reply 311
Original post by madrassnuff
just had an applicant day with eca, holy crap the facilities are awesome, just had to say that

How did it go? I sent my portfolio on a CD, I hope they got it on time.
Original post by Senika
How did it go? I sent my portfolio on a CD, I hope they got it on time.

it was really nice, the student ambassadors were cool and they just showed you around in groups according to the course you applied to, and you just get to see all facilities, which were really good I thought. After we had the Q and A session, where the guys who looked at the portfolios answered questions and whatnot, and explained the course structure. It was nice, I really liked it.
Reply 313
it was really nice, the student ambassadors were cool and they just showed you around in groups according to the course you applied to, and you just get to see all facilities, which were really good I thought. After we had the Q and A session, where the guys who looked at the portfolios answered questions and whatnot, and explained the course structure. It was nice, I really liked it.

Original post by Senika

they do, with what looks like everything you could possibly want or need, they even have studio medium format cameras, so that's cool too if your into studio photography.
Reply 315
they do, with what looks like everything you could possibly want or need, they even have studio medium format cameras, so that's cool too if your into studio photography.

Sounds awesome!

I have a phone interview at Napier today, I'm crazy nervous :frown:
Reply 316
I got in!!!
Original post by Senika
I got in!!!

to napier? congrats!
Reply 318
to napier? congrats!

Yes :smile: Thank you!
Reply 319
Original post by Senika
I got in!!!

Congratulations! I have an offer for Napier aswell for second year entry, my interview was a couple of weeks ago. I went to the applicant day at ECA yesterday too so now I just have to wait.

Quick Reply

Latest