The Student Room Group

Dropping an AS-Level half way through the year? Advice

Alright so with my subject choices I'm fine with three of them, however, the fourth one (History) I hate. I don't have a clue on why I picked that. I barley went into lessons due to me not being able to change it early on, and now it seems as if It will just harm my other subjects if I concentrate on it now.

Would it be sensible to to drop AS History and carry on with three AS's for now (Maths, Physics, Chemistry)? I know most universities i.e. UCL/Imperial ask for four AS's so I was planning to do three AS's now and then do three A2's and one intensive A2 next year (whole of Further Maths)

What should I do?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kravez
Alright so with my subject choices I'm fine with three of them, however, the fourth one (History) I hate. I don't have a clue on why I picked that. I barley went into lessons due to me not being able to change it early on, and now it seems as if It will just harm my other subjects if I concentrate on it now.

Would it be sensible to to drop AS History and carry on with three AS's for now (Maths, Physics, Chemistry)? I know most universities i.e. UCL/Imperial ask for four AS's so I was planning to do three AS's now and then do three A2's and one intensive A2 next year (whole of Further Maths)

What should I do?

I do virtually the same subjects as you (Bio, Chem, Physi & History) and how did you find the first half of the year? If it went alright but you just hated it then stick with it, but if you think you may have done badly in the January exams you may want to drop it as it might pull your other grades down in the future. However, if you drop it you stand not as great a chance of being accepted into uni compared to others. Nevertheless, 3 As (for example) at AS would be much better than something like an a B and a C, with a C or D in history. If you think that it will drastically affect your other subjects, drop it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
In my opinion if you drop history now, half of your year will have been wasted. Just try and survive AS level and then drop it for A2 so this way you will have something to show for all the time you have spent in AS level so far in history
Reply 3
If you hate it AND you do badly then drop it.
If you hate it BUT you do okay then keep going, it will be much better for getting Uni offers.
I was in a similar situation but physics was the one I hated. Keep with it, it helps boost your UCAS Tariff and you've only really got another 2 or3 months of putting up with it.

Quick Reply