The Student Room Group

Last.fm

Sorry to sound woefully ignorant, but what exactly is it? I've noticed a lot of people talking about it and was just wondering what it does?
Most importantly, is it worth signing up for?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Basically, it logs all the music you listen to on your computer and builds up a chart. From that, it can find users with similar music tastes who you can send messages to if you want. You can also type in a band or artist and comes up with a list of similar artists to listen to..It can recommend new music you might like and so on...definitely worth getting if you're into your music. I'm sure someone else could explain it better than me, but I hope that gives you a basic idea!

*700th post :smile:
Reply 2
Ah I understand. Sounds good, maybe I'll give it a go.
Thanks!
Reply 3
Take the Last.fm tour. That should explain. If you're really into your music then it is more than worth signing up for. :smile:
Reply 4
Malkmus
Take the Last.fm tour. That should explain. If you're really into your music then it is more than worth signing up for. :smile:

or if you just like looking at charts....
Or click any of the musical signatures here in this thread!
It only really becomes good after a few thousand songs because then you can look back and see trends and things - i am on about 6k but i imagine when i am on 12k my chart will look a lot different because i go through phases.
Reply 7
Cheers everyone, I've set up a profile and will probably stick it in my sig once I've figured out how!
Reply 8
Assuming you're anything like me, it's good for at least two reasons.
all of that bizzarro stuff shouldn;t be unexpected for Profesh - 54,000 + songs is a good effort - probably the highest I have seen so far

Did you sign up right at the start?
Reply 10
Clubber Lang
all of that bizzarro stuff shouldn;t be unexpected for Profesh - 54,000 + songs is a good effort - probably the highest I have seen so far

Did you sign up right at the start?

November 2004; so, more or less. I seem to recall their being still only "affiliated with" Audioscrobbler at the time.
I signed up in early 2005, I think it was still audioscrobbler then, rather than last.fm.
LostRiot
or if you just like looking at charts....

This is why I like last.fm. I can discover weird facts about my listening habits by analysing wackily presented data.
Reply 13
Profesh is the first person I've found with more listens that me (I have 43000) but I did join earlier.....by 2 months. :biggrin:

There are 2 really annoying things about last.fm firstly that if you give your laptop to your mum for a week to do some work on and she listens to nothing except james blunt he can pop up in your profile for ever (true story-but I think he's gone now).

Secondly and much more annoyingly, I used to go through phases of listening to about 5 bands all day every day for about a week, as a result they are now firmly planted at the top of my chart for what seems like eternity because I will never listen to a single band so much I am able to remove them, I haven't listened to Milburn in years but there they are a haunting reminder of the mistake I've made.....
LostRiot

Secondly and much more annoyingly, I used to go through phases of listening to about 5 bands all day every day for about a week, as a result they are now firmly planted at the top of my chart for what seems like eternity because I will never listen to a single band so much I am able to remove them, I haven't listened to Milburn in years but there they are a haunting reminder of the mistake I've made.....

I do that as well.
Hey guys.. you can now listen to Sound Devastation Radio, and preview a whole track off every release we have out (and a few that are coming out soon..) check it out :cool:

Click
Yep, I can't shift Athlete off mine, I've had that profile waaaay too long. I keep getting tempted to clear it and start again but surely that would be cheating! Love the charts though, I find them strangely addictive. I also find myself trying to stop listening to embarassing things after less than 2 minutes to stop them showing up- surely thats gotta be a good thing...encourages me to turn off rubbish quite quickly!!
PinkPigeon
I also find myself trying to stop listening to embarassing things after less than 2 minutes to stop them showing up

thats cheating more like! but i shouldnt comment... as ive just reset mine. I hadnt used it in over a year though so i think its fair enough... :rolleyes:
I think I'm quite addicted to last.fm. I'm even a subscriber, it's something I quite like having around.
they gave me a free subscription once.. dunno why, but it was good :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest