The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studentdoc
No, it isn't considered academic..
Again, I agree that yes, they should tell you the reason, but it is one hell of a lot easier/cheaper/less time-wasting in their eyes to send out one letter to everyone.
Last year I had a letter from another uni saying I'd been rejected on academic terms even though I had near enough the best grades possible applying, I rang and asked how that made sense and they told me they sent out a general letter.
Asking them personally is your best bet with this, good luck if you're reapplying next year.

Does anyone know if Cardiff will put some people on a reserve/waiting list of people after it has given out offers in March/April?
Reply 642
Original post by Godfrey Peters
Does anyone know if Cardiff will put some people on a reserve/waiting list of people after it has given out offers in March/April?

Not sure exactly when they give them out, but theres a fair few people on my course who got in from the waiting list.

Yes, there's about 40 this year who came off the waiting list - and cardiff don't normally manage to fill all their places unlike most unis who have a waiting list, so if you are put on the waiting list, you do still have a chance.
Reply 644
I had an interview in mid January and haven't heard anything, really panicking now....I take it it's not going to be good news.....please reply Cardiff!!! :'(
Reply 645
Original post by Rubixcube
I had an interview in mid January and haven't heard anything, really panicking now....I take it it's not going to be good news.....please reply Cardiff!!! :'(

I wouldnt worry yet! Cardiff dont usually tell anyone whos had an interview anything til late march at the earliest :smile: sure youll be fine, good luck!
Original post by studentdoc
Yes, there's about 40 this year who came off the waiting list - and cardiff don't normally manage to fill all their places unlike most unis who have a waiting list, so if you are put on the waiting list, you do still have a chance.

Thanks. Are the unfilled places because people with offers turn Cardiff down or coz they firm Cardiff but don't get the grades?
Reply 647
Thanks. Are the unfilled places because people with offers turn Cardiff down or coz they firm Cardiff but don't get the grades?

Both. Pretty much all unis do this, not just cardiff.
Reply 648
Original post by hmorgan
I wouldnt worry yet! Cardiff dont usually tell anyone whos had an interview anything til late march at the earliest :smile: sure youll be fine, good luck!

Yeah, they confuse me though. I'm pretty sure some people already got offers earlier in the cycle, when they sent out some emails that make everyone's heart sink for a second.
Original post by Elwyn
Both. Pretty much all unis do this, not just cardiff.

Thanks. So a lot of us could be in limbo right up til results in August!
Reply 650
Thanks. So a lot of us could be in limbo right up til results in August!

Yep, a few people I know had a phone call on results day to tell them.

Yeah it's because of both. They don't fill all the places because they misjudge and give out less offers - they are fined if the intake is over the allocated amount of students!
Original post by Rubixcube

The date of your interview and when you hear back from them is no indication of whether you will be offered a place or not, i didn't hear anything til april last year, and my interview was in november, so don't worry :smile:
Reply 653
Thanks all, it's such a horrible position to be in waiting on the one you want,
Hopefully I'll hear something soon.... :frown:

X
Reply 654
Does anyone know the term dates for the first year?

Thank you
Reply 655
Original post by Seb
Does anyone know the term dates for the first year?

Thank you

Are you after exact dates? Or just a rough overview?

The overview is:
~26th September - ~18th December.
~9th January - ~1st April.
Term starts back around the 22nd. But, the first four weeks will be time off for revision, then the last three weeks are taken up by exams and the odd day CPR training.
Any ideas when the last interviews are?? I really wanna hear soon, I'm going mental post-interview!!!!!!!
Reply 657
Original post by Elwyn
Are you after exact dates? Or just a rough overview?

The overview is:
~26th September - ~18th December.
~9th January - ~1st April.
Term starts back around the 22nd. But, the first four weeks will be time off for revision, then the last three weeks are taken up by exams and the odd day CPR training.

Thank you very much. Yes rough dates are good, much appreciated.
Rejected from Cardiff today. Pre-Interview. International applicant.
Boo. No feedback given.
Reply 659
Almost 5 months since my interview. 1 month to go. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest