The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mau5
To be fair we actually need the Racists to do Everton in the semi's otherwise we might get screwed out of a European spot. I'm not too confident of them doing it mind but they must be the luckiest side in the league so hopefully they can scrape through.

You post good stuff on the music section but really post a load of rubbish on the football forum don't you :colone:
Reply 5541
I want Kenny in charge for at least one more season. Hes won a trophy this season, so he deserves a chance. If he gets sacked, I would only except it, if hes replaced with a better manager. If he wins the FA cup, he should definetly not be sacked.

Kenny is a good manager, its just he's been out the game so long. He needs time to adjust as the league is different now compared to 20 years ago. It's like when Fergie first came to United his first few seasons weren't so great. He was given time to adjust and look where United are now.

If Kenny goes I don't want Rafa back, as despite having a good spell(apart from the last season), going back to Rafa will just be a step backwards, as then what was the point of sacking him in the first place.
Original post by mau5
To be fair we actually need the Racists to do Everton in the semi's otherwise we might get screwed out of a European spot. I'm not too confident of them doing it mind but they must be the luckiest side in the league so hopefully they can scrape through.

i dont get it, if liverpool progress and beat everton, how comes our european spot will be in jeapordy?
Reply 5543
Your support was abysmal today, not a peep from you all game.
Original post by Taurus
I want Kenny in charge for at least one more season. Hes won a trophy this season, so he deserves a chance. If he gets sacked, I would only except it, if hes replaced with a better manager. If he wins the FA cup, he should definetly not be sacked.

Kenny is a good manager, its just he's been out the game so long. He needs time to adjust as the league is different now compared to 20 years ago. It's like when Fergie first came to United his first few seasons weren't so great. He was given time to adjust and look where United are now.

If Kenny goes I don't want Rafa back, as despite having a good spell(apart from the last season), going back to Rafa will just be a step backwards, as then what was the point of sacking him in the first place.

Kenny is a very good manager, and you can tell by some of the style of football played that his tactics are legitamate and work, however players lack the technical competence to execute them, hence why we have a midfield who cant midfield, strikers who cant score, and wingers who cant cross.

My problem with him is that he has spent millions and millions of the clubs money on ****ing lame and useless servants. if it was hodgson, he would be gone by now. I feel sorry for gerrard, he has gone from playing with players like alonso, mascherano, torres and arbeloa, to the likes of carroll, downing, henderson and charlie adam. From the season we can tell that this buy british policy is complete ****.

Our team is absolute **** from top to bottom, buy midtable, statistic signings/flavour of the months, and this is what you get, absolute garbage of the highest order. last summer, we had the makings to launch a genuine assault on the league, but bad bad business in the transfer window has cost us

Newcastles transfer policy makes ours looks amateurish/non existant

I'd like to see over the summer:
OUT
Henderson - 10-12m
Adam - £2-3m
Carroll - £8-14m
Kuyt - £6-10m (Good player but not good enough for a regular start)
Downing - £9-10m

About 50m

No more english players, two wingers, a holding midfielder, and A ****ING STRIKER.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by James A
i dont get it, if liverpool progress and beat everton, how comes our european spot will be in jeapordy?

Because Everton would take the European spot as losing finalists. Unless they can win it. Reina getting sent off was a terrible thing for both teams.
Reply 5546
Original post by DannyBoy123
Gerrard is obviously awesome but we can't build a team around him now. Realistically we have 7 or 8 players who are good enough to play for Liverpool FC out of a squad of 25.

Henry might give a new manager a bit of a war chest to play with but look at City - £450m or whatever it is spent and they still can't walk the league.

It looks like United, Chelsea and Arsenal will all spend big this transfer window, as well as City as per usual, and no one knows what Spurs will do - if they hold on to Bale and Modric they'll certainly be sniffing around next season too. It's a pretty depressing state of affairs all told, and I'm not sure anyone has an answer at the moment. :frown:

Obviously we can't build a team completely around him, sarf was just talking about core players, and I still think Gerrard is one of our core players.

-------------Reina-----------
Johnson-Agger-Skrtel-Enrique
-------------Lucas----------
-------Gerrard-----?---------
?-----------?---------Suarez

I think that's a pretty good core personally.
Original post by Sephiroth
Because Everton would take the European spot as losing finalists. Unless they can win it. Reina getting sent off was a terrible thing for both teams.

ah i see!

lol.

On another note. Was sad to see Reina get sent off. Always been one of my favourite players. Plus i've not met someone who doesn't like him!
Reply 5549
Original post by TM94
Your support was abysmal today, not a peep from you all game.

Not surprised with the state we're in + how away fans are tucked away in the clouds.
Pathetic. Manager is very average, as is your squad.

Can some of you apologise to WHW and acknowledge that yours truly was right about the appointment of Kenneth Dalglish?

Bring back Woy.

I'd love to see his stats with Liverpool compared with Dalglish's in his current reign as Liverpool boss.

Dalglish needs to either call it a day and resign, or the board need to show balls and fire Dalglish. Sad for Liverpool fans that it's come to this.
Reply 5551
Original post by Gob Bluth
You post good stuff on the music section but really post a load of rubbish on the football forum don't you :colone:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ A 2nd placed award in the football awards I'll have you know.:colone: To be honest I just wanted to see the usual L18 meltdown, doesn't look like he's around though so I hope he hasn't taking it too badly. Bless him, the poor lad was still claiming champions league qualification last time he started biting.
Original post by mau5
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ A 2nd placed award in the football awards I'll have you know.:colone: To be honest I just wanted to see the usual L18 meltdown, doesn't look like he's around though so I hope he hasn't taking it too badly. Bless him, the poor lad was still claiming champions league qualification last time he started biting.

Fair enough lol. I guess it's easy to wum a top club in crisis. Can't believe Liverpool were so close to 4th not too long ago. Club in Crisis.
Incidentally, James Perch is ****ing pathetic. Reina overreacted, but for a grown man to go down that easily is laughable. I'm in no way a Liverpool fan, but that's a joke.
Original post by Deshi
Reina, Skrtel, Agger, Gerrard (yes I'd still have him in this bracket, form is temporary class is permanent), Lucas, Suarez. Johnson/Kelly and Enrique are good enough as well imo.

I'm not convinced by Enrique/Suarez. With the latter, he has that spark you want but I'm not sure where he should fit in. He doesnt score enough to be the main striker, he doesn't seem to like to play with a partner up front and he can't play off a striker because he doesn't pass enough.

Original post by Mr.Messy
Minus his last season with the club, he was always on the money (except a few questionable transfers and tactical decisions). I think he can lead us to better days, and at least CL football.

We played better football, we looked more hungry and we had fighting spirit. How I miss those days when he would conduct a post match interview and talk about our character after going 2 goals down but winning. :daydreaming:

Oh if it was my choice, I think I'd take Benitez. He knows the club pretty much in side out, even it might have changed somewhat in 2 years. He knows most of the senior players and was tactically spot on most of the time.
He got quite a lot of stick from the media and fans after his Ferguson 'its a fact' press conference tbh but he was good for the most part.

I'm also putting his name forward because I cant see another top class manager that is available, or someone of a high calibre that we can attract.
Reply 5555
Original post by ArcticRed
Kenny is a very good manager, and you can tell by some of the style of football played that his tactics are legitamate and work, however players lack the technical competence to execute them, hence why we have a midfield who cant midfield, strikers who cant score, and wingers who cant cross.

My problem with him is that he has spent millions and millions of the clubs money on ****ing lame and useless servants. if it was hodgson, he would be gone by now. I feel sorry for gerrard, he has gone from playing with players like alonso, mascherano, torres and arbeloa, to the likes of carroll, downing, henderson and charlie adam. From the season we can tell that this buy british policy is complete ****.

Our team is absolute **** from top to bottom, buy midtable, statistic signings/flavour of the months, and this is what you get, absolute garbage of the highest order. last summer, we had the makings to launch a genuine assault on the league, but bad bad business in the transfer window has cost us

Newcastles transfer policy makes ours looks amateurish/non existant

I'd like to see over the summer:
OUT
Henderson - 10-12m
Adam - £2-3m
Carroll - £8-14m
Kuyt - £6-10m (Good player but not good enough for a regular start)
Downing - £9-10m

About 50m

No more english players, two wingers, a holding midfielder, and A ****ING STRIKER.

I honestly think the transfers were more down to Commoli and the owners. I agree, the owners buy British policy is terrible.
It's only since new year things have went really bad. I believe the players don't have the desire anymore.
We need to buy some foreign talent in the summer. They better not go out and buy some more english ****.
Instead of Hendo, we should've got Mcarthy. Yes hes british, but hes a hell of a lot better than that henderson. Henderson is just so crap.

If we have a poor season next year, then sack Dalglish, but who do you think should replace him?
Original post by Zerforax
I'm not convinced by Enrique/Suarez. With the latter, he has that spark you want but I'm not sure where he should fit in. He doesnt score enough to be the main striker, he doesn't seem to like to play with a partner up front and he can't play off a striker because he doesn't pass enough.

Liverpool need a clinical finisher; Suarez is fantastic in the trequartista role; someone like an in-form Michael Owen would fit perfectly into Suarez's style of play. I think Suarez can still be a top player, but Liverpool need to build the side around him. In all fairness, his partner thus far has been Carroll, who has been a colossal failure.
Original post by white_haired_wizard
Pathetic. Manager is very average, as is your squad.

Can some of you apologise to WHW and acknowledge that yours truly was right about the appointment of Kenneth Dalglish?

Bring back Woy.

I'd love to see his stats with Liverpool compared with Dalglish's in his current reign as Liverpool boss.

Dalglish needs to either call it a day and resign, or the board need to show balls and fire Dalglish. Sad for Liverpool fans that it's come to this.

I think people can't deny that Dalglish has only been given this long because of his reputation at Liverpool. Given Benitez got forced out despite nearly winning a title, Villas-Boas left Chelsea after six months and Liverpool outed Hodgson in December (?), it seems utterly incongruous that Dalglish has been allowed to waste so much money to do so badly.
Original post by KingMessi
I think people can't deny that Dalglish has only been given this long because of his reputation at Liverpool. Given Benitez got forced out despite nearly winning a title, Villas-Boas left Chelsea after six months and Liverpool outed Hodgson in December (?), it seems utterly incongruous that Dalglish has been allowed to waste so much money to do so badly.

It's the huge problem you get when a club legend like Daglish gets the reins. It should have always been temporary, and he would have lost no reputation, only gained if he did. You have to remember Liverpool have won a trophy (albiet Carling Cup) and in the semi finals of the FA Cup. It's not all awful. I mean, a lot will be forgotten in a sense if Kenny wins the FA Cup and manage to finish 7th. Though i struggle to see him being manager next season.
One thing I know is that up untill recently our league form had been indifferent and ever since Arsenal killed any of our hopes for fourth, our league form has been in absolute freefall. This makes me think that the players just cannot motivate themselves to give 100% in every game for every minute because they know a win and the 3 points are literally ''meh''. This is cringeworthy and a horrendous attitude to have.

Andy Carrolls dive has ended any hope I had for him. I was skeptical but optimistic about the transfer in the first place and Carrolls just confirmed everything I was worried would happen with him. Average, average footballer. Sad that he wears the number 9 after great goalscorers like Torres, Robbie and Rush.

I don't think we need a complete overhaul like people are suggesting, as in sell every new signing bar Enrique. We are trying to build a squad not a first 11. No I think Downing and Henderson are solid squad options. Adam too, when played in the right place. I think Carroll needs selling. Him and 35m pricetag are just a burden we need to get rid, pronto.

We do however, need two new strikers, a wide (right) player, a central midfielder in the Adam mould but 100x better and maybe a new centre half. I don't think we'll get a new centre half though. Maybe a new DM too to cover for Lucas. I don't know if any of this will happen. I don't know about the owners ambition. I don't know if they'll give the money needed to fund the transfers. I don't know if Kenny will not just go spend 40m on Grant Holt and Steven Fletcher and maybe throw in an extra 20m for Matt Jarvis. I don't know, I don't know, I don't know!!

I just feel like Kenny really has no idea how to fix us. We have been suffering from the same problem ever since the first game of the season. The draw at home to Sunderland. Missed penalties, missed chances, great football no end product, hitting the woodwork etc etc. Except now we're exceeding ourselves and looking ridiculous at the back as well. It's costed us dearly. And it doesn't seem like there have been any real attempts to fix it. This is what troubles me most about Kenny. Not the signings, not the transfer fees, not the football, not his interviews about Suarez. The fact that when something is just not working, we don't change. It's like Einstein (I think?) said.. it's foolish to keep doing the same thing expecting different results.

I don't know if Liverpool as a force are coming or going and it ****ing hurts saying it.

Latest