The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by groovyangel2008
I'm a bit worried as I still have not received my CRB, has anyone else not got it yet?

I also haven't received my CRB letter. When I called admissions they told me that they send them out in batches and the next batch is going to be sent in a few weeks so I think we will be waiting for a little while longer. Hope this helps! x
Reply 1841
hi guys... Can someone kindly confirm whether I am sending the "Code of Conduct" declaration inside the Health forms envelope as well. Also, I completed the Health forms etc but I'm still unsure about how to complete the Disability Form. If I have no disability, do I still complete the form with my details and submit it? Thank you so much for your assistance in advance
Reply 1842
Hey (this is mainly aimed at GEC medics looking for housing)
I've had to pull out of a house contract and there is now a space available
It's a 6 double bedroom house in Harborne, which is literally 5 minutes from Med school, and about 10 minutes from Selly Oak (the main student area)
It is being refurbished currently and is in a really nice area
You will be living with 5 female 2nd year medics (all very nice, not too loud or crazy)
Here is the property profile: http://propertysolutions.co/Student/Property-Profile.aspx?id=213

PM me if you are interested
Original post by 3rd time lucky?
I also haven't received my CRB letter. When I called admissions they told me that they send them out in batches and the next batch is going to be sent in a few weeks so I think we will be waiting for a little while longer. Hope this helps! x

Ahh thanks so much for this, very helpful :smile:
Reply 1844
Hey, is anyone going to the Birmingham living taster day?
Did you all enjoy the accommodation open day?
I hope the weather held out for you and you didn't get drenched (I've been at home in Yorkshire this weekend so I'm not sure what it was like in the West Midlands).

Hopefully yesterday will have shown you a bit more of what it is like to be a student here and it's reaffirmed your decision to spend the next 5/6 years here!
For heavens sake, I'm finding it so difficult to get hep B done, my doctor is being an absolute bum. Also do they only send out CRB once you firm Birmingham? I still have Leeds to hear from, so have not firmed Birmingham yet :s-smilie:
Hey guys, Im just trying to get my CRB done and I have a few questions. Do you have to enclose a pre paid envelope, I know it says on the letter that "You may prefer to send your documents by recorded delivery and include a prepaid envelope?" Also I'm going to send my driving licence (paper) as one of the documentation that they ask for. Do I also have to send the photocard or will the paper part of the driving licence be sufficient for the CRB check?
Many thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by groovyangel2008
Hey guys, Im just trying to get my CRB done and I have a few questions. Do you have to enclose a pre paid envelope, I know it says on the letter that "You may prefer to send your documents by recorded delivery and include a prepaid envelope?" Also I'm going to send my driving licence (paper) as one of the documentation that they ask for. Do I also have to send the photocard or will the paper part of the driving licence be sufficient for the CRB check?
Many thanks

You'll need the pre-paid envelope so they can send the documents back to you!

As long as the paper copy is sufficient as stated on the CRB website, it'll be fine.
Original post by tomtom415
For heavens sake, I'm finding it so difficult to get hep B done, my doctor is being an absolute bum. Also do they only send out CRB once you firm Birmingham? I still have Leeds to hear from, so have not firmed Birmingham yet :s-smilie:

Don't worry about Hep B unless you can get it free. The occy health people here will do any injections you miss. And yep, CRB form is sent when you firm Bham. So you should firm Bham :sexface:
Original post by gozatron
Don't worry about Hep B unless you can get it free. The occy health people here will do any injections you miss. And yep, CRB form is sent when you firm Bham. So you should firm Bham :sexface:

That makes me feel better, thanks :smile: I'll just ring up medical admissions and tell them next week :smile: and I know I should, it's excellent and I love it, but I've become somewhat attached to Leeds too :/ also, I worry about the size of they year group and the very academic nature of the course...
Original post by tomtom415
That makes me feel better, thanks :smile: I'll just ring up medical admissions and tell them next week :smile: and I know I should, it's excellent and I love it, but I've become somewhat attached to Leeds too :/ also, I worry about the size of they year group and the very academic nature of the course...

I know some Leeds medics and well which ever you choose you'll have a great time at!
Original post by coco739
accomadation day was great except the rain. i preferred those closer to the university like jarratt hall and victoria hall. I kind of panicked abit when I found out all of pritchett park flats had shared toilets and baths :redface:, that was definetly off my list. But I'm looking at it from a newcomers view, I would like to know from those who have studied there to get reliable info.

I shared a bathroom in halls, no problem at all! Vicky halls is nice, I know a lot of people who live there still in the third year they like it so much!!
Original post by coco739
accomadation day was great except the rain. i preferred those closer to the university like jarratt hall and victoria hall. I kind of panicked abit when I found out all of pritchett park flats had shared toilets and baths :redface:, that was definetly off my list. But I'm looking at it from a newcomers view, I would like to know from those who have studied there to get reliable info.

I'm panning to live in Vicky for my 2nd year, many of my friends live there in first year and I felt it was pretty good. Its very close to the medschool and uni as well, especially the GYM. And there are loads of shops close by, so thats a another + point.

I live in Mason this year and there were times when I had not gone to the main campus for months, but living in vicky I'll be going through it everyday. :smile:
Original post by coco739
what do you think of jarratts hall, i heard its rather quiet but I prefer it that way. Im not much of a party person :smile:

I've not been to Jarratt Hall I'm afraid and I know very little about it, sorry!
Original post by coco739
what do you think of jarratts hall, i heard its rather quiet but I prefer it that way. Im not much of a party person :smile:

I havnt even been to Jarrats Hall, so I cannot comment on it, but each and every hall has loads of students who don't party, so that would not be a big problem I guess.
But then again each and every hall has students which do party. Sometimes it just comes down to luck as to whether the people around you like to party or not!
Surely just select the studious/quiet option when your applying for accom?
Original post by areyouthere?
I'm panning to live in Vicky for my 2nd year, many of my friends live there in first year and I felt it was pretty good. Its very close to the medschool and uni as well, especially the GYM. And there are loads of shops close by, so thats a another + point.

I live in Mason this year and there were times when I had not gone to the main campus for months, but living in vicky I'll be going through it everyday. :smile:

Surely Mason's not that far from the centre of campus?

Do many medics choose the vale? I know it's not the nearest accommodation to the medical school but surely you can just walk with a friend - it's only once there and back in a day?

I just thought that the accommodation at The Vale was really nice and the Hub looked good - with 3000 students at the vale, hopefully it's quite buzzy and social?
Original post by *Bern1994*
Surely Mason's not that far from the centre of campus?

Do many medics choose the vale? I know it's not the nearest accommodation to the medical school but surely you can just walk with a friend - it's only once there and back in a day?

I just thought that the accommodation at The Vale was really nice and the Hub looked good - with 3000 students at the vale, hopefully it's quite buzzy and social?

I'm a Mason medic aswell and there are loads of medics on the Vale. It's already been said before but it's only 5/10 minutes extra walk and that's nothing really. You'll see when you get here but a medic on campus is rare occurrence.

Quick Reply