The Student Room Group

Tom Daley: British Diver

Did anyone watch this documentary on the BBC? It's on Iplayer right now if anyone wants to, I recommend you do.

I never realised how much of an inspiration he really is, he lost his father, got all As and A*s in his GCSEs and got all As in his A Levels and still trains full time for diving in such a short period of time.

Let's hope he kicks Qiu Bo's arse
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As unconvincing as this sounds, it was a typo because I knew how to spell his name but thanks for pointing that out :smile: Fixed :biggrin:
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure he's gay tbh.
Reply 3
I know he has been through alot with his dad and that and he has done well with his exams. But I actually don't like him that much.
I'll definitely watch this later when I more time, Tom is just sooo :sexface: .
Reply 5
he's sexy, no homo
Original post by RtGOAT

What's that got to do with anything.
Original post by RtGOAT

Whats your point?
I'm not familiar with diving, is he favourite for any of the diving events or are the chinese/americans odds on to win?
Reply 9
Original post by RtGOAT

He isn't, he's just a little camp.
Reply 10
Original post by RtGOAT

he could be. but then he seems to be the face of Team GB and the whole nation is in love with him - including his fanbase of extreme and loyal teenage girls. and if he comes out, that will destroy his fanbase and he would lose a lot of money, alongside Team GB with the sponsors and attention from media

it's sad, but it's how the world works today. if Bieber was gay then he certainly wouldn't be as successful as he is today due to lack of money and fans

maybe one day people won't judge so harshly on homosexuality
Reply 11
I don't know why he gets so much attention. When the British athletes were walking in yesterday they zoomed in on him more than any other athlete and now they have a documentary on him. Loads of British athletes are more likely to win gold.
Reply 12
Original post by internet tough guy
I'm not familiar with diving, is he favourite for any of the diving events or are the chinese/americans odds on to win?

The Chinese is favourite to win
Reply 13
Original post by Deshi
I don't know why he gets so much attention. When the British athletes were walking in yesterday they zoomed in on him more than any other athlete and now they have a documentary on him. Loads of British athletes are more likely to win gold.

It's probably because he became so commercial as he started off so young. And he's the face of London 2012 anyway so naturally he'd be looked at more.
Original post by #JayJay
he could be. but then he seems to be the face of Team GB and the whole nation is in love with him - including his fanbase of extreme and loyal teenage girls. and if he comes out, that will destroy his fanbase and he would lose a lot of money, alongside Team GB with the sponsors and attention from media

it's sad, but it's how the world works today. if Bieber was gay then he certainly wouldn't be as successful as he is today due to lack of money and fans

maybe one day people won't judge so harshly on homosexuality

yeah its a good job that freddie mercury never came out, that had potential to ruin Queen. However I guess we will never know his true sexuality now that he is dead.
Reply 15
He seem's like a nice guy and its nice to see that he hasn't let his passion for diving affect his grades. Though I'm sure the fact he was part of a top independent school/college helped him achieve those grades.
Original post by Miracle Day
got all As and A*s in his GCSEs

got all As in his A Levels

GCSEs, in the long run, are worthless. Getting 3 As in A Levels is average for top candidates. He only did three A Levels, one of which is a very poor subject 'Photography', and he didn't get any A*s! :rolleyes:

You are wise, whoever thumbed me up. To dissent from popular opinion is essesntial. The masses are, most often, wrong.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Luxray
He seem's like a nice guy and its nice to see that he hasn't let his passion for diving affect his grades. Though I'm sure the fact he was part of a top independent school/college helped him achieve those grades.

Exactly! This is by no means remarkable for a private school student. It is actually quite average.
Reply 18
Original post by EnigmaticSpirit
GCSEs, in the long run, are worthless. Getting 3 As in A Levels is average for top candidates. He only did three A Levels, one of which is a very poor subject 'Photography', and he didn't get any A*s! :rolleyes:

He did 4 As levels, and got all As it said so in the documentary.

He did Maths, Spanish and Photography.

The first two are difficult, and he'd be received into a top university with them.. the third being his 'soft subject'
Original post by Miracle Day
He did 4 As levels, and got all As it said so in the documentary.

He did Maths, Spanish and Photography.

The first two are difficult, and he'd be received into a top university with them.. the third being his 'soft subject'

So? People study Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry and get all A*s. He is nothing special. Plus, his education being that of an independent school gave him the extra advantage.

Quick Reply

Latest