The Student Room Group

Official gap year thread- 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Hi Everyone,

We're very excited to announce our amazing BUNAC Travel Internship competition in the summer!

1 lucky person will head to North America this summer to meet our participants on North American BUNAC programmes. You’ll be interviewing, blogging, vlogging and networking your way across the continent. Sure beats a summer in the UK! If you’re outgoing, media-loving and up for an adventure, what are you waiting for? Enter below for a summer you’ll never forget…

Included in the prize is:
A 2 month Global Internship, where you’ll visit and report back on BUNACers on the following North and Central American adventures… ◾teaching children at a summer camp
working the American dream on a resort in the USA
working on a stunning mountain resort in Canada
volunteering on a sea turtle conservation project in Costa Rica

All flights and accommodation
Comprehensive medical insurance
A video camera to document your trip
A Marketing Internship in our London to write up your trip and make us all jealous afterwards!

This competition is funded by the Howard Crew Scholarship Fund. Closing date for all entries is Mon 6th April 2015.

Good luck everyone!

Sam
I'm looking to see if anyones in a similar situation to me.

Long story short ive had a crap year at school, my uni place is set for September, exams underway etc but ive had a change of heart in the last few months and I want to take a year out doing au pairing to make the most of the language skills ive learnt. I know this will be tricky as I'll have to cancel student finance and inform my uni I'm deferring.

However I'm having so much opposition towards it - multiple teachers and friends think I won't end up going to uni at all if I defer and work abroad for a year, other teachers who took a year out said it was a great way to relax before studying for another 3 years. I still have the desire to go to uni, I've thought about the implications of it thoroughly and I need to do something before studying all over again.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, I can't see any obvious reasons as to why people are against it? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feel pretty depressed atm, was working full time till end of January which I enjoyed then did on off work till late March but I've been out of work since. Can't help but feel really guilty because I haven't found a job yet and never realised how stressful it is actually not doing much at all.
Original post by CelineBean
I'm looking to see if anyones in a similar situation to me.

Long story short ive had a crap year at school, my uni place is set for September, exams underway etc but ive had a change of heart in the last few months and I want to take a year out doing au pairing to make the most of the language skills ive learnt. I know this will be tricky as I'll have to cancel student finance and inform my uni I'm deferring.

However I'm having so much opposition towards it - multiple teachers and friends think I won't end up going to uni at all if I defer and work abroad for a year, other teachers who took a year out said it was a great way to relax before studying for another 3 years. I still have the desire to go to uni, I've thought about the implications of it thoroughly and I need to do something before studying all over again.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, I can't see any obvious reasons as to why people are against it? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had quite a bit of opposition from various people when I decided to take a year out for similar reasons - they didn't want me to delay university because they thought if I did I would never want to go. However, I took a year anyway to do something I really enjoy as a break from education, and to reapply to uni for a totally different subject. It has been totally beneficial, and if anything I am even more keen to get to uni and back into education now. It's your decision - don't let anyone else make it for you! :biggrin: Plus you are better off taking a year out rather than starting first year doing something you don't really want to do, and then dropping out.

Logistically, I didn't defer my place until results day. And then I pulled out of it completely in September before submitting another UCAS application. Most universities are absolutely fine with you deferring.
Original post by The Monk
Feel pretty depressed atm, was working full time till end of January which I enjoyed then did on off work till late March but I've been out of work since. Can't help but feel really guilty because I haven't found a job yet and never realised how stressful it is actually not doing much at all.

Start a business :smile: Or YouTube channel? Or something else cool? There are tonnes of things you can do. I'm sure there are plenty of things you wanted to do or you've had good ideas, a gap year is the perfect opportunity to bring them to life.

Original post by amylouisetommo
I had quite a bit of opposition from various people when I decided to take a year out for similar reasons - they didn't want me to delay university because they thought if I did I would never want to go. However, I took a year anyway to do something I really enjoy as a break from education, and to reapply to uni for a totally different subject. It has been totally beneficial, and if anything I am even more keen to get to uni and back into education now. It's your decision - don't let anyone else make it for you! :biggrin: Plus you are better off taking a year out rather than starting first year doing something you don't really want to do, and then dropping out.

Logistically, I didn't defer my place until results day. And then I pulled out of it completely in September before submitting another UCAS application. Most universities are absolutely fine with you deferring.

Totally agree. I'm so glad I'm not doing biology anymore, really looking forward to computing next year :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Gap year has given me one year of sales experience and money to use for university first year. I also did not want to do the degree I applied for during A levels and now I have changed my course and can't wait till I start!
Original post by lllllllllll

Totally agree. I'm so glad I'm not doing biology anymore, really looking forward to computing next year :biggrin:

That's quite a significant subject change!
Original post by amylouisetommo
That's quite a significant subject change!

Ahh yes. Anything can happen if you're willing to put in the time and effort :smile:
Very dependent on how I do in my A levels...but, if I do well, I'll be going to school in Japan for 9 months and then reapply to uni for 2016 entry.
Hey people just to let you know there's a 2015/16 thread up now. Come join the party :smile:
Reply 190
I've just returned from a 4 month backpacking trip in SE Asia!

Had a great time and have decided to decline my place at uni and continue living the adventure! Heading to New Zealand in October as soon as i have enough cash :smile:

Hope everyone is having a great year.

Quick Reply

Latest