The Student Room Group

Geoscience & Geology 2016

Scroll to see replies

Well I received all conditional offers(one was an unconditional for Birkbeck but they had to change it :/)
Because of the high grades for Southampton, Royal Holloway is too far away, and Brighton is too expensive for us to live around, I have firmed for Portsmouth and Insuranced for Birkbeck for Geological Hazards and Geology respectively.
I recently accepted an offer from Portsmouth for MSc Engineering Geology (2016/17), so pleased I got onto it as the Leeds course has closed and this was the only other program that was accredited by the GSL.
Original post by NimbleNeil
Just about. I just think its unnecessary to learn the morphology of 3 types of echinoid, over 11 different bivalves and brachiopods, 4 types of trilobite etc. seems like somebody writing the OCR syllabus gets hard ons over molluscs so wrote 20% of the spec on it.

I'm away on field work in Dorset next week which should be fun so long as the tides are out :smile:

Prepare youself for it at uni then - it's a whooooooole different ball game hahaha. Gl
Original post by geolowiser
Prepare youself for it at uni then - it's a whooooooole different ball game hahaha. Gl

I'll refuse to take a single paleontology module :colondollar:
I'll refuse to take a single paleontology module :colondollar:

I wouldn't blame you mate. But if it's a standalone geology BSc in order for it to be accredited you'll need at least one year of palaeo
Did anyone do the AS global tectonics geology exam today?? If so how did it go!
Original post by geolowiser
I wouldn't blame you mate. But if it's a standalone geology BSc in order for it to be accredited you'll need at least one year of palaeo

Is that accreditted from the BGS? Or is it needed to complete the degree in general
Is that accreditted from the BGS? Or is it needed to complete the degree in general

It's accredited by the Geological Society of London, you can check to see if a course is accredited (and when that accreditation will expire) here:
https://www.geolsoc.org.uk/accreditation

When I say expire, I mean that if you are on that course within the years stated then it is accredited (and that stays with you for life), if you were on that course outside of the accreditation period then it means either it wasn't reviewed, or the modules/teaching standards weren't up to scratch to satisfy their requirements. That doesn't mean that a course isn't good if it is not accredited, simply that a course is good if it is.

You don't need to study an accredited degree, it's simply a recognition from the UK professional body for geologists, stating that this degree is of a high standard and provides an excellent basis and foundation of knowledge.

As per their website:

Accredited status provides added assurance to prospective students that a department's teaching is of the highest quality, and has been approved by an independent body of academics and industrialists.
Hey guys,
Just wanted to wish my fellow Geologists good luck with their exams in the coming weeks! Sure you'll all do great!
Anyone doing the Environmental Geology exam tomorrow?
Lobe finned fish evolved almost instanteously after graptoloids became extinct. What evidence do we have that they perhaps may have been connected?

Spoiler

Describe and explain the different morhological features of epifaunal, planktonic, nektonic & infaunal trilobites.
Original post by Pablo Picasso
Describe and explain the different morhological features of epifaunal, planktonic, nektonic & infaunal trilobites.

easy peasy but this is an entire 10 mark essay here, you've just gotta talk about the movement, eating habits, and things unique to each of the 4 trilobites (agnostus, calymene, trinucleus and diphon)
Reply 533
Anyone worrying about the geology sector in the job market after the brexit result ?

Thinking of changing to chemical engineering now
Anyone coming to the Oxford open day tomorrow or on Thursday?
Still available through Clearing at Bristol :

· Geology
· Geophysics
Anyone joining RHUL in MSc Petroleum Geosciences 2016/17 session...
Made it into Durham Uni for Bsc Geology :smile:
Hey guys...I'm doing a Foundation Year with Chemistry and Geology as my main modules... I'm hoping this means that I will be able to apply for Geochem. Does anyone know if Geophysics would be an option (or is this answer too obvious??) :colondollar: Should I add on a standalone Physics module through the OU or something? Its not available to me on my course :frown:

And, opinions please - would a double major in Geology and Chemistry be better than Geochem? Anybody know what employment opportunities are available? Just a bit worried that Geochem as a pure subject will bore me?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply 539
Original post by ClaireFad
Hey guys...I'm doing a Foundation Year with Chemistry and Geology as my main modules... I'm hoping this means that I will be able to apply for Geochem. Does anyone know if Geophysics would be an option (or is this answer too obvious??) Should I add on a standalone Physics module through the OU or something? Its not available to me on my course And, opinions please - would a double major in Geology and Chemistry be better than Geochem? Anybody know what employment opportunities are available? Just a bit worried that Geochem as a pure subject will bore me?Thanks in advance for any help!

Geophysics courses tend to ask for physics and maths a levels, so I'd expect they'd like you to major in those two subjects. Have a look at the preferred a levels for the courses at the universities you're interested in to get an idea of what they might ask for access courses.

You can also contact the admissions tutors and ask them directly. I found they're happy to talk to mature students (which I'm assuming you are!). I'd leave it a week, though. I expect they're pretty busy as A level results came out last week. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending