The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews 2016 Postgraduate Students

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HCI
I received an email a while ago asking me to go through the steps on this link: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/newpgtaught/

It includes setting up your computer account and getting your ID card ready for when you start.

It appears that most of the things we need to do are under the "Online Matriculation" section which is not open until the 23rd of August.

Oh, I've never received that email :-D thanks for letting me know!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 141
I have received another email today about the first week. It is as follows:

"Hi, According to my records you are due to start an MSc at the School of Computer Science this academic year. You are expected to attend Orientation week, which begins Monday 5th September with a Welcome to the MSc students at 9.30am. I will contact you again closer to the date to arrange an advising appointment, which will also take place during Orientation Week.

Please let me remind you that it is paramount for your studies to arrive in St Andrews on time, that is on or before the 5th September. If you have any problems that prevents you from arriving on that date, please get in touch with us as soon as possible as you will need to seek permission to arrive late both from your school and from Registry. No student will be allowed to begin their studies after the 26th September 2016.

We look forward to welcoming you to St Andrews soon."

As I expected it is very important to be at the university for the 5th. I assume it's also the day we will make module choices?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HCI

"Hi, According to my records you are due to start an MSc at the School of Computer Science this academic year. You are expected to attend Orientation week, which begins Monday 5th September with a Welcome to the MSc students at 9.30am. I will contact you again closer to the date to arrange an advising appointment, which will also take place during Orientation Week.

Please let me remind you that it is paramount for your studies to arrive in St Andrews on time, that is on or before the 5th September. If you have any problems that prevents you from arriving on that date, please get in touch with us as soon as possible as you will need to seek permission to arrive late both from your school and from Registry. No student will be allowed to begin their studies after the 26th September 2016.

As I expected it is very important to be at the university for the 5th. I assume it's also the day we will make module choices?

Ugh i didn't receive this on either :biggrin: seems like they forgot about me.
Either on the 5th or on some day during the first week I think.
2 more months to go *Wohoo*
Reply 143
Original post by BlueberryB

Not long now! May be worth emailing them asking about the emails, just incase you have been missed off the system.
Reply 144

Do you still have a conditional offer? I think you're not supposed to get these kinds of emails until your offer is unconditional.
If you won't meet your conditions until shortly before the semester starts, you can probably arrange something so that you do not miss out on information in the meantime. I had my university write a letter which made it clear I would meet my conditions in time, which gave me the more convenient unconditional status.
Original post by HCI

I have not received this email either.
Reply 146
It is like torture waiting for my official undergrad certificate to be released! Without sending this over to St. Andrews my position as an official student is still 'conditional' and it is driving me up the wall! More than anything, I am worried about not getting an accommodation offer because my choice will be all full up by that time! Anyone else just anxiously waiting?
And anyone else on MLitt Central and East European Studies course? :frown:
Original post by Diya94
It is like torture waiting for my official undergrad certificate to be released! Without sending this over to St. Andrews my position as an official student is still 'conditional' and it is driving me up the wall! More than anything, I am worried about not getting an accommodation offer because my choice will be all full up by that time! Anyone else just anxiously waiting?
And anyone else on MLitt Central and East European Studies course? :frown:

I'm anxiously waiting, but not for the same reasons. I applied only a few weeks ago because my specific programme only came into existance a couple of months ago. :P
If I don't get on the course, I have to find a job. If I get on the course, I still don't have anywhere to live, yet. I'm sure they'll try and help out students like us with accommodation, so don't worry!
Reply 148
Original post by PaulJWM
I'm anxiously waiting, but not for the same reasons. I applied only a few weeks ago because my specific programme only came into existance a couple of months ago. :P
If I don't get on the course, I have to find a job. If I get on the course, I still don't have anywhere to live, yet. I'm sure they'll try and help out students like us with accommodation, so don't worry!

Good luck with that! I'm sure you will get a positive response :smile: And hopefully so!
Original post by Elinen
Do you still have a conditional offer? I think you're not supposed to get these kinds of emails until your offer is unconditional.
If you won't meet your conditions until shortly before the semester starts, you can probably arrange something so that you do not miss out on information in the meantime. I had my university write a letter which made it clear I would meet my conditions in time, which gave me the more convenient unconditional status.

Nope my offer is unconditional :/
I'll send them an email and let them know that some people are missing out on information ^.^
Nope my offer is unconditional :/
I'll send them an email and let them know that some people are missing out on information ^.^

I also have not received the email HCI just received. Maybe it is not for all students, and just for his department?
Reply 151
Just received a welcome email today telling us to pick a first-semester module and a seminar group, and it also provided some reading lists. Still holding a conditional offer though, haha.
Original post by jonnn
Just received a welcome email today telling us to pick a first-semester module and a seminar group, and it also provided some reading lists. Still holding a conditional offer though, haha.

I also have not received this email. Is it sent by your academic department?
Reply 153
Original post by bigfroghk
I also have not received this email. Is it sent by your academic department?

Yes, though different than HCI's.
At those who got the email: Did you receive them on your office 365 account ?
Reply 155
At those who got the email: Did you receive them on your office 365 account ?

Oddly not. They were sent to my other email I used to apply.
Reply 156
Hey there, need some help.

Saw the Fresher's Week app notice on the StA website today and followed up the web version here: https://guidebook.com/guide/69088/ [actually, I downloaded the app on my phone.]

It asks for a passphrase. Can anyone help me with if it's required, and if it is where I can find it?
Starting this September for Advanced Computer Science. Can't wait! :biggrin:
Reply 158
I think there's only the Orientation guide and a mere private guide section that contains no actual private guide. Congratz to acceptees!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by erciyes
Hey, I've just received an offer for an Mlitt in Middle Eastern & Central Asian Security Studies, but I can't decide between Andrews and Johns Hopkins SAIS in the United States. Any postgrads in the IR school here?

Hi, I'm on the MECCASS course! Did you decide to accept St. Andrews? Also is anyone in Albany Park here?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending