The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Bournemouth University applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Hey Ratul!!

I hope I'm not too late in replying to your message but I'm Benny and I just finished my first year in Games Technology! Following on from what Patricia said, it is expected to do independent study/ research but they do ensure that the basics are covered to allows us to do so. As you may imagine, the course is very hands-on meaning the focus is using the actual software but it is balanced with the theory ( more so in programming in the first year). There was a lot more programming basics covered in the first year than Modelling and Level Design but at least it allows you to figure out which part of the gaming industry you would like to work for. It would be very helpful to have knowledge in Maths as one unit ( Computer Graphics for Games) do require a decent knowledge on it. Overall it's a fun course and I'm definitely coming back for second year ( Loads more fun stuff to do in second year but it'll be harder for sure)
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Original post by Bella2806
Thank you! Congratulations to you too! :smile: Yes I'll do that I'll try ringing them tomorrow, silly me. I really can't wait to start! Will your placements be around Bournemouth or have they given you Yeovil or Poole etc?

Congratulations on getting in. I start in September but my placement is in Dorchester. Where are you based? :smile: x
Hey Benny thanks a lot for your suggestions. That does help a lot.A question though.Do they expect me to have knowledge of programming beforehand or do they teach that to me from the scratch?
Considering putting myself in Clearing (if I don't end up there anyway) to apply for the BA Advertising course.

Can anyone tell me what the university is like? I'd be on the Talbot campus. Also how far is it from the city?

Hi there,

Is there any other Adult Nurses starting in September going to be based in Salisbury????
Original post by emiloujess
Considering putting myself in Clearing (if I don't end up there anyway) to apply for the BA Advertising course.

Can anyone tell me what the university is like? I'd be on the Talbot campus. Also how far is it from the city?

the talbot campus is like a 10/15 minute bus ride from town (so I've read) and you get a bus pass included in the price of your accommodation. you can either choose accommodation in town, or closer to the campus. From what I sensed at the open day, it's really nice there, people are so so friendly, also the facilities are pretty good too. I know people who have just finished their degree, 2nd and 1st year there and they all love it. I'm told it's a very sociable place to be!:h:
Original post by dragonsonmars
the talbot campus is like a 10/15 minute bus ride from town (so I've read) and you get a bus pass included in the price of your accommodation. you can either choose accommodation in town, or closer to the campus. From what I sensed at the open day, it's really nice there, people are so so friendly, also the facilities are pretty good too. I know people who have just finished their degree, 2nd and 1st year there and they all love it. I'm told it's a very sociable place to be!:h:

Friendly people? Sociable? I spent a year there and couldn't wait to leave. The students are stuck up beyond belief. If you consider an occasional "you alright?" from a student once in a while the epitome of sociability then sure it's very "sociable".

The place is a nightmare. Students don't even make eye contact and they stick to their own little cliques until they finish their degree.
Original post by candymonster
Friendly people? Sociable? I spent a year there and couldn't wait to leave. The students are stuck up beyond belief. If you consider an occasional "you alright?" from a student once in a while the epitome of sociability then sure it's very "sociable".

The place is a nightmare. Students don't even make eye contact and they stick to their own little cliques until they finish their degree.

When you say stuck up, do you mean in relation to economics/social class, or rather kind of like looks and popularity based stuff? I guess from your comment about cliques it's popularity based? I'm quite curious - I had enough of that crap in secondary/sixth form tbh. I don't want to be excluded for not fitting conventional ideas of beauty or group hierarchy. I hope where you're studying now is much better for you!
Original post by dragonsonmars
When you say stuck up, do you mean in relation to economics/social class, or rather kind of like looks and popularity based stuff? I guess from your comment about cliques it's popularity based? I'm quite curious - I had enough of that crap in secondary/sixth form tbh. I don't want to be excluded for not fitting conventional ideas of beauty or group hierarchy. I hope where you're studying now is much better for you!

Nothing to do with beauty or class. It's more like people stick with the people they made friends with at the beginning. They form groups and rarely socialize outside of them.
Buzzing to start in here in September!!!
Is everyone going to freshers? Feels like everyone's going and I physically can't as I'm deaf 😴
Original post by Shann199730
Is everyone going to freshers? Feels like everyone's going and I physically can't as I'm deaf 😴

It might seem like everyone is going since on facebook everyone talks about those events but don't worry, there will be still a lot of people who would rather hang out or stay in, myself included.

What are you studying and where are you staying by the way?
Original post by candymonster
Nothing to do with beauty or class. It's more like people stick with the people they made friends with at the beginning. They form groups and rarely socialize outside of them.

That happens a lot everywhere and tbh people that are kind,friendly and perhaps enough open minded not to act this way are also the people you wont find like everywhere you look so that might be the issue in meeting them, but who knows? Maybe we can get in touch with some more of those students and actually break those weird barriers.
Original post by reachmore
It might seem like everyone is going since on facebook everyone talks about those events but don't worry, there will be still a lot of people who would rather hang out or stay in, myself included.

What are you studying and where are you staying by the way?

Don't get me wrong sometimes it's nice like I've bought a wristband for me to go to at least a handful but I'd pick staying in but all my flat mates love going out! And I'm studying tourism and staying in Dorchester! Wbu?
Don't get me wrong sometimes it's nice like I've bought a wristband for me to go to at least a handful but I'd pick staying in but all my flat mates love going out! And I'm studying tourism and staying in Dorchester! Wbu?

I agree that going every now and then wont hurt anyone and you might even have a good time but I guess I was trying to say not to worry if you hear that like everyone is going to this big even and you aren't - sorry for the confusion

Thats cool, I'm studying forensic computing and security and I chose unilet
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by reachmore
I agree that going every now and then wont hurt anyone and you might even have a good time but I guess I was trying to say not to worry if you hear that like everyone is going to this big even and you aren't - sorry for the confusion

Thats cool, I'm studying forensic computing and security and I chose unilet

It's no worries! My flat mates are doing that!!

Hi Shann,

I've just graduated from BU in Media and Communications. Even though my Freshers week was 4 years ago I was very similar. I also bought the wrist band and I got involved in about 3 nights out a week but there were plenty of other activities to get involved in too. For example, there is a whole Welcome Crew who will be in bright yellow t-shirts and around the campus and halls to help you get in to the flow of university life. They put on events in Bournemouth town, gardens and beach (during the day and sometimes evening).

You will most likely receive a full timetable in the post before you arrive at BU or even on your move in day.

Enjoy every second, they'll be the best years you ever have!

Sam
Hi I'm starting at Bournemouth uni this sept studying psychology Bsc hons as a mature student with two children a part time job and commuting from home time is crutial to me and just wondered what the expectations would be as far as attendance ? Is it likely I would need to go to uni everyday ? Independant study won't be a problem as I'm used to it it's just fitting the travel and lectures /workshops around everything I'm so worried about juggling it all !!
hey everyone, i am applying to study sociology- criminology and was wondering if anyone knows the chances of me getting in, my predicted grades are CCC/CCB and i'm pretty sure they are asking for CCB.
many thanks
Original post by shannonnxoxo
hey everyone, i am applying to study sociology- criminology and was wondering if anyone knows the chances of me getting in, my predicted grades are CCC/CCB and i'm pretty sure they are asking for CCB.
many thanks

Hi Shannon

We're delighted to hear you're interested in studying our BA (Hons) Sociology & Criminology. The entry requirements are 104 UCAS Tariff points from 3 A-levels. So we'd be looking for a minimum of BCC. However, UCAS points aren't the only thing our admissions team looks at when reviewing applications - your personal statement will be just as important so make sure you highlight your passion for the subject and why you would do well on this course.

You can find more details about the full entry requirements here.

Good luck with your application.

Best wishes

Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending