The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you think Prostitutes deserve Respect?

Poll

Do prostitutes deserve respect??

Simply put, do you think prostitutes deserve respect?

Well, it is supposed to be the world's oldest profession and I see no problem with prostitutes who aren't being coerced into sex by a pimp/gang.Unfortunately, many prostitutes are basically slaves who have been sold into the sex trade.They are putting their lives in danger as the only means of survival. Legalizing prostitution may help combat this problem, but I'm not sure.

As William Blake said:Prisons are built with stones of law; Brothels with the bricks of religion.

But how could you respect someone who doesn't respect themselves?
Some may argue, selling your body is not respecting yourself your lessening the value of who you are and it speaks volumes about your character.

Lets take an example, two people in great need for money. The first one, walks into a shop, shoots(kills) the owner and grabs all the cash from the till. The second one however goes into prostitution.

In the end who has a worse reputation? The first person’s mistakes would be forgotten after a while.As the way society has been built, the second one would have a worse reputation terming her a "whore".

Do you think this is right? What are your opinions on this topic?

Are you able to respect prostitutes?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, of course. It would be foolish to assume all prostitutes are morally corrupt individuals. Even if they willingly choose to become prostitutes, it is their decision and should be respected.

I'm totally for legalising prostitutional so it can be regulated for those involved.
Original post by OnlyMe!
Yes, of course. It would be foolish to assume all prostitutes are morally corrupt individuals. Even if they willingly choose to become prostitutes, it is their decision and should be respected.

I'm totally for legalising prostitutional so it can be regulated for those involved.

That's exactly what I was going to say!
'Respect' is a strong word. It's just unskilled manual labour. Literally anyone who possesses some kind of orifice could do it, it's not really anything admirable or impressive.

I'm for legalising and regulating it - although I can guarantee you that legislating prostitution won't 'save' the neediest - the neediest will be pushed into unregulated, underground black-market prostitution. Just for even lower wages than before because they need to undercut the licensed brothels.
Reply 4
They’re fools! They’re letting their bodies get all used up and their not even keeping the majority of the money!

There’s a difference between a woman that’s selling her body on the street and one that’s more exclusive.

There’s a huge difference between one that’s even selling her body for money and one that’s selling it for something else, like crack.
Reply 5
There job isn't respectful, but they're humans caught up in bad situations so they deserve just as much respect as anyone else
Original post by 99luft Balons
Lets take an example, two people in great need for money. The first one, walks into a shop, shoots(kills) the owner and grabs all the cash from the till. The second one however goes into prostitution.

In the end who has a worse reputation? The first person’s mistakes would be forgotten after a while.As the way society has been built, the second one would have a worse reputation terming her a "whore".

What the hell. No one's going to forget if you've killed someone. :K:
Yes. I think any job where you aren't hurting anyone and are making money legally should be respected.
Reply 8
Some certainly deserve our respect. Most probably deserve our sympathy.
Reply 9
Erm Yes ? They are still human you know..
Reply 10
Nah, screw 'em.
Yes, most of the time they don't deserve respect because frankly there is no self-respect, but sometimes, if the prostitute is broke and it is the only way to provide for their family, I think in those situations it's quite hard to say if they deserve the respect.
What do you mean by respect?

I believe they deserve respect for their rights, they deserve to be treated as human beings, as opposed to possessions/commodities, but respect for actions or abilities should be earned on a individual level.

Prostitution should be a career choice (even if it's something I don't particularly agree with), and I'd support freedom for prostitutes from the system most are currently trapped in (by making it legal), but respect for the profession as a whole? I'm not sure.

Original post by wtfCharlie
Yes. I think any job where you aren't hurting anyone and are making money legally should be respected.

Though technically it's still illegal... :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hearty_Beast
What do you mean by respect?

I believe they deserve respect for their rights, they deserve to be treated as human beings, as opposed to possessions/commodities, but respect for actions or abilities should be earned on a individual level.

Prostitution should be a career choice (even if it's something I don't particularly agree with), and I'd support freedom for prostitutes from the system most are currently trapped in (by making it legal), but respect for the profession as a whole? I'm not sure.

Though technically it's still illegal... :wink:

It is legal, just brothels are illegal, which is kind of silly.
I think the wording of the title can come off as a bit misleading. As respect is something that people earn e.g. Soldiers, entrepreneurs, and I wouldn't necessarily say voluntary prostitution is an admirable career choice imo. However what I would say is that they deserve not to be disrespected and it should be legalised (having a red light district would be pretty interesting :colonhash:), not sure why it's not already tbh.
Reply 15
Original post by cgraham15
There job isn't respectful, but they're humans caught up in bad situations so they deserve just as much respect as anyone else

Exactly this.
Reply 16
Respect as in fair treatment and rights or respect as in looking up to them?
I don't really understand the context of the word respect. I don't just respect random people I pass on the street. I think they deserve to be treated as any other human being would.
Respect -A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

They allow people to stick their dick in them for money. Can't really see an achievement there or a quality than a orifice, or ability other than dick taking ability (Superbad reference :colone:).

Respect as people yes, as a profession no.
I don't know which "respect" you mean we should give to girls who go into prostitution, I voted no because if we gave them too much respect what's to prevent them from finding it a decent way to earn money. It could be legalised I agree with that to give them a safer place but we have to deter it as a form of work, just like how we tax alcohol/cigarettes.

Latest