The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8380
Original post by sheepstick
well i may not know you but i would be sad life is worth living :smile: and your family care about you :smile: so don't its not worth it believe me and considering you would have gone through education for what don't throw it away. i felt like this a couple of years ago and i went to counselling maybe you should try this or we can always talk as no-one judges you here that's what i like about it :smile:

But... I don't even have any fun. It's all about doing work and stuff. Nothing goes well for me. My family really doesn't want me. All they care about is my brother. I don't see anything changing for me. Anything that could change it is years away. I simply can't wait that long.
Original post by Chrisofsmeg
Sorry, this has nothing to do with anything but I just noticed something in your sig and had to ask.

You have six choices in your UCAS stuff - 4 medicine and 2 non-medicine - I was just wondering how? :tongue:

I'm very pleased to see that you got offers, just so you know. Very proud of you. You deserve it.

When I get in next time around I expect much help with my studies :wink:

Hehe. Again - well done, love. You should be proud of yourself.

This is definitely one of VV's FAQ :tongue:

I got rejected from HYMS, and they allow you to have your application considered at either Hull or York for another course choice, and I agreed to have it considered at York given I have nothing to lose. Got the offer form York a few weeks after :yep:

Thank you very much, and sure I can offer help if I made my conditional offers :smile:

Thank you. Good luck! :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by avhhs
TBH I don't even see the point in life now. I'm clearly not meant to live. I just want to get out of this. Everything is too hard for me. No one cares about me at all. If I was to die right now, no one would really miss me.

Big question, is there really a point in life as a whole? Any REAL purpose? I'm an athiest, and tbh i'm fine just being a piece of meat on legs. What's wrong with just getting through life, trying to enjoy yourself? Why do we NEED a purpose, why can't we just exist for the sake of it?

Theres no point killing yourself, theres nothing to gain from it. We often have to go through a lot of **** until we reach the times worth living for, but it's just how it is.

What have u done so far to try and fight depression? Therapy, councilling, meds?

Original post by avhhs
But... I don't even have any fun. It's all about doing work and stuff. Nothing goes well for me. My family really doesn't want me. All they care about is my brother. I don't see anything changing for me. Anything that could change it is years away. I simply can't wait that long.

Also, why do you need to live for others? You can just live for yourself :smile: I know theres a desire to be wanted and needed by others, and if you want to fulfill that you could do charity or volunteer work perhaps. You often meet really nice people doing that kinda work, too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8383
Original post by avhhs

Believe me when I say that I know how it feels for things to be years away, and for things to feel completely bleak and pointless, but it is worth hanging on.

My mum completely favours my brother over me and hardly has a nice word to say to me.
I ran away for a while when I was 16 and stayed with a virtual stranger for a while before going back, I developed disordered eating (at least in part as a way of control etc.) and I've come too close to the edge more times than I like to think about, but it's always something that I've battled with and made it through eventually.

It can be a difficult mindset to break, but I find it sometimes helps to try to take a step back and look at things from a different angle.
You know when you trip over your own feet in the street and feel like a complete idiot at the time, and like nobody in history has ever felt so embarrassed?
And then think about how you feel about it a day later: you don't care anymore, because it's in the past.

Now try to apply that to bigger life events - a massive falling out with somebody in primary school; a time when you felt so sick that you thought it would be better if you could just die in that instant rather than feel any more pain/illness; a moment of complete and utter desperation when your computer deletes an essay you've been working on for a fortnight etc. etc.
All of those things ease with time, and you find yourself looking back and thinking "what was I doing? I should have known that things would get better at some point."

This is one of those things. Everything feels wrong at the moment, and unfixable, or that the solution is too far away, but when you actually reach that solution at some point in the future, everything that you are feeling now will be a distant memory, and something that you have learned from and become stronger/ different as a result.

At the most extreme end for me personally, I was in psychiatric hospital 8 weeks ago and was absolutely certain that there was no way out, no future, no alternative.
Now, 8 weeks later, I find it hard to identify with that same mindset.

I know you need to wait longer than 8 weeks, but the principle is the same.

Try to stay strong. :hugs:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8384
Original post by Meaty_man
Big question, is there really a point in life as a whole? Any REAL purpose? I'm an athiest, and tbh i'm fine just being a piece of meat on legs. What's wrong with just getting through life, trying to enjoy yourself? Why do we NEED a purpose, why can't we just exist for the sake of it?

Theres no point killing yourself, theres nothing to gain from it. We often have to go through a lot of **** until we reach the times worth living for, but it's just how it is.

What have u done so far to try and fight depression? Therapy, councilling, meds?

Also, why do you need to live for others? You can just live for yourself :smile: I know theres a desire to be wanted and needed by others, and if you want to fulfill that you could do charity or volunteer work perhaps. You often meet really nice people doing that kinda work, too.

The problem is I'm not having fun. None at all. No one clearly wants me. I have tried to make friends but I always get them advantage of. I don't need volunteering. I need friends.
I've not had anything for depression. My next appointment with the psychiatrist is next month. Nothing can help me.
Hey everyone,

Decided to come in here for a bit of a chat. Reason being I wanted some advice off you guys. What are the tell tale signs of depression? At what point did you guys decide enough is enough and go get checked out at the doctors?

I finished sixth form in 2008, and it seems ever since then I've felt more sad as each year has gone by. I know it happens to us all, but I'm getting older (now 21) and I wonder what the point in my existance actually is?

I'm at the point where I wake up in a morning, and can't see a reason for getting out of bed. Most days I stay in bed with the curtains closed, unless there is an actually necessity to be up (e.g.sign on at the dole - this makes me miserable in itself). I find that when I'm awake, I just seem to go over and over all the bad things in my life. When I'm asleep I don't have to think about stuff. My eating hasn't exactly been the best, I might have a biscuit and a few drinks, then my seem to make me cry. Or someone might say something and mean it as a jomain main in the evening - I just seem to have no appetite. I find that quite often, the smallest things ke, but I take it seriously and fly off the rails at them.

I should be bounding off the walls with excitement by now. Got a great few weeks coming up, my birthday, two concerts, a week away with the family. Instead, I just feel like I've got this huge grey cloud hanging over me that won't budge, and I don't know how to get rid of it.
Original post by avhhs
The problem is I'm not having fun. None at all. No one clearly wants me. I have tried to make friends but I always get them advantage of. I don't need volunteering. I need friends.
I've not had anything for depression. My next appointment with the psychiatrist is next month. Nothing can help me.

Hey man stay strong, didn't you recently post about you having a great time with your best friend? Just shows that you do have have at least one person that cares about you and someone you can trust right?
Hey guys, I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while.. I've not been on and not really had the motivation to do a whole lot of anything :frown:

I'm a bit concerned about something and I wondered if any of you knew anything about it.. Uni mitigating circumstances etc..?
Basically I have my dissertation presentation to be done in a couple of days. And while I've done some of it a few weeks ago i haven't done anything since the depression diagnosis.. I'm still not sleeping hardly at all, my appetite is next to nothing to the point where I'm near on fainting but I don't even care, I have no motivation to do anything and everything generally is just crap. Antidepressants haven't made a whole lot of difference yet and my cbt doesn't start til next month. I also start placement next week and I'm freaking out like hell, if im not sleeping properly and have no motivation to even shower or well, do anything..how the hell am I gonna cope on placement :frown: I'm currently considering whether it's even worth suspending my studies short term. But in the mean time what the hell do I do about this presentation.. I have my docs appointment on wed and I wanna bring it up but I really don't want her to think I'm looking for excuses :frown: I'm a good student, I always do really well but at the minute I just can't cope with uni stuff.

What do I do? :frown:

Sorry. That was quite long.
Original post by avhhs

You might not need to work, volunteer, go to social clubs etc, but those are the main ways of meeting people, because they are a means of exposing yourself to others. And personally, i find all the experiance you gain from stuff like that also makes you more interesting as a person. You need to push yourself outside your comfort zone, it's not exactly fun at the time, but it's beneficial in the long run. You need to at least dip your feet into a lot of things, even if you don't continue them.

As for trying to cure the depression, its a long process. I know people that took years of trying different things until they found something that even started to make a difference. I'm talking councilling, therapy, lots of different medication and other stuff. Again, it's a matter of trying enough things until you find something that helps.
Don't feel good at all today. Didn't sleep well last night at all, been in lots of pain today, all my joints are hurting, I want to go to bed, but still have about an hours reading to do for an essay that I have to write tomorrow morning, got so much work this week :frown:
Some help please?

Was in this thread last year... Was on Citalopram for 5 months - felt better and I came off it.

Well suprise suprise the anxiety and depression has come back even worse(its been 8 months since coming off them!)
I'm now in touch with a mental health team - had first assessment last week. However this last week has been absolute HELL! I was on placement and couldnt stop crying to they sent me home and contacted the university and i'm not allowed to go back until I see occupational health :/

I just couldnt stop crying --- for hours and hours. Initially I refused to go on meds because I remember starting up Citalopram it had a really funny reaction with me!! but anyhow things got so bad I just kept thinking I wanted to die over and over. So went to drs on thursday and he prescribed Setraline 50mg and Diazepam 2mg.
Im 5th day on the Setraline and I just feel so different like sad inside but I can’t physically cry? Makes me feel a little trapped to be honest! Not sure if I like it I really wish I was normal!And I’m convinced I have bipolar but scared to mention it to anyone!!
I'm taking an interruption to studies. Starting second year again in September... :erm:

Well, it's not 100% yet. But yeah.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Aemiliana
I'm taking an interruption to studies. Starting second year again in September... :erm:

Well, it's not 100% yet. But yeah.

Big hugs hun :hugs:
Original post by SamF1992
Don't feel good at all today. Didn't sleep well last night at all, been in lots of pain today, all my joints are hurting, I want to go to bed, but still have about an hours reading to do for an essay that I have to write tomorrow morning, got so much work this week :frown:

I had this the other night a few hours after getting to sleep, lots of fun http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proctalgia_fugax . A 30 minute episode of excruciating pain, all i could do was thrash against my bed and the wall, and i was struggling to breathe and remain concious by the end. I've had this for years now, i think i'll mention it to the doc tomorrow.

The other night i was up until 6am doing work, fun times >_> you definately aint alone lol. I'm well behind where i want to be, thinking i may need to cut corners and drop some content :\
I just don't want to anymore
Original post by Mother_Russia
I just don't want to anymore

whats wrong ?? :hugs:
Original post by kahinalouise
whats wrong ?? :hugs:

Just one of those days. Too much revision. And there's nothing to distinguish my day from the next, I don't speak to anyone. I used to love my routine, now I thi it's getting too much, and everything's turning into one blur. I can't believe I need to get up tomorrow, and I'm tempted to switch off my alarm and keep on sleeping tomorrow, but I can and that just stresses me out. I phoned my dad today, which I never do. We're both the silent types, but today we managed to talk fr 15 minutes, but I just tried to keep the conversation going, because I knew there'd be no one else to turn to when I'm off the phone. ...

...erm, I'm ranting now.

Thanks though :smile:
I'm a male and when I'm depressed I cry is it normal?
Original post by Mother_Russia
Just one of those days. Too much revision. And there's nothing to distinguish my day from the next, I don't speak to anyone. I used to love my routine, now I thi it's getting too much, and everything's turning into one blur. I can't believe I need to get up tomorrow, and I'm tempted to switch off my alarm and keep on sleeping tomorrow, but I can and that just stresses me out. I phoned my dad today, which I never do. We're both the silent types, but today we managed to talk fr 15 minutes, but I just tried to keep the conversation going, because I knew there'd be no one else to turn to when I'm off the phone. ...

...erm, I'm ranting now.

Thanks though :smile:

I really know what you mean with everything becoming a blur, its like the days don't really mean anything atm. I've been going to bed at 6am and waking up at 5pm because im so out of whack.

Don't be afraid to give yourself a break, it's much better to come back to work refreshed and prepared. If you try to work too much you just burn yourself out, and can spend a lot of time "working" but you get nothing done.

Theres always us to talk to btw :3
I started feeling slightly better when I went home for Easter, but now I'm back in my room on my own, everything has come back to me :frown:

Need to make an appointment to see my doctor and tell her the Amitriptyline has been useless :frown: