The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Does Manchester allow resits DURING GAP YEAR?

hey, best i am hoping for is AAB... worst I am looking at it BBC... which is not good enough.

if i resat TWO MODULES in my gap year (i am taking a gap year) - not enrolled at school just doing a2 modules - would that go against me a lot?

course = zoology (biological science)...

typical offer AAB-ABB
When universities like Cambridge/UCL/Durham accept it then somewhere like Manchester will too.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
But obviously only Manchester and maybe UCL would accept AAB.
Well a guy came back to my school to take an extra year and he got into Manchester, so I'm guessing thats a yes! He actually also got into Oxford. I'm not entirely sure what his grades were beforehand but Im pretty sure he didn't have 3 A's.
Reply 4
Original post by A level Az
When universities like Cambridge/UCL/Durham accept it then somewhere like Manchester will too.

Original post by A level Az
But obviously only Manchester and maybe UCL would accept AAB.

Original post by Platostolemysocks
Well a guy came back to my school to take an extra year and he got into Manchester, so I'm guessing thats a yes! He actually also got into Oxford. I'm not entirely sure what his grades were beforehand but Im pretty sure he didn't have 3 A's.

thanks guys! wow i never knew oxbridge allowed it! :s-smilie:
Yes, but some courses will put up the offer by a grade, e.g. without resits you would have been offered AAB, but with resits, the offer would be AAA. I'm not sure if this is the case for Zoology though.
Reply 6
Original post by laseine
hey, best i am hoping for is AAB... worst I am looking at it BBC... which is not good enough.

if i resat TWO MODULES in my gap year (i am taking a gap year) - not enrolled at school just doing a2 modules - would that go against me a lot?

course = zoology (biological science)...

typical offer AAB-ABB

I am in this exact situation with a Biomedical science offer, and AAB prediction and a BBC grade by the end of exams (most probably) ]=

I'm going to apply for all 5 offers at Manchester :biggrin:

Am i affected if i've already got an offer and miss it and then reapply?
Original post by YB101
I am in this exact situation with a Biomedical science offer, and AAB prediction and a BBC grade by the end of exams (most probably) ]=

I'm going to apply for all 5 offers at Manchester :biggrin:

Am i affected if i've already got an offer and miss it and then reapply?

That's a very high risk, low reward tactic - if you're rejected from one, then it's likely you'll be rejected from them all. Why not just apply to some other unis as well?
Reply 8
Original post by Origami Bullets
That's a very high risk, low reward tactic - if you're rejected from one, then it's likely you'll be rejected from them all. Why not just apply to some other unis as well?

Because I don't want to go anywhere else :frown::frown:
Reply 9

If i did my first year in my firm uni and maybe privately entered for 1 or 2 modules, bumped my grade up and all, would they let me transfer?
Original post by YB101
Because I don't want to go anywhere else :frown::frown:

Why is that? Is it something specific about the course, the university or something else?

Honestly, I think there are other places where you'd be just as happy, and if you're going to be rejected by Manchester then there's no point being rejected five times over if you have to reapply.

Why not change two of your choices to somewhere like Leeds or Birmingham?

Original post by YB101
If i did my first year in my firm uni and maybe privately entered for 1 or 2 modules, bumped my grade up and all, would they let me transfer?

I'm not aware of any universities letting people just do one or two modules, other than the OU. For people who transfer, normally any conditions are based on doing the whole first year.

But then (apart from the fact that there's still no guarantee they'd accept you) you'd be settled at your other uni, have made friends etc., and you'd probably be better of staying there anyway.
Reply 11
Why is that? Is it something specific about the course, the university or something else?

Honestly, I think there are other places where you'd be just as happy, and if you're going to be rejected by Manchester then there's no point being rejected five times over if you have to reapply.

Why not change two of your choices to somewhere like Leeds or Birmingham?

I'm not aware of any universities letting people just do one or two modules, other than the OU. For people who transfer, normally any conditions are based on doing the whole first year.

But then (apart from the fact that there's still no guarantee they'd accept you) you'd be settled at your other uni, have made friends etc., and you'd probably be better of staying there anyway.

haha it's funny that you brought that up! I actually applied to both Birmingham and Leeds. The Leeds Life science department was very impressive, I can't lie about that but I just didn't get a good vibe from the faculty, they didn't seem too.. how does one say "upbeat" about the course. Birmingham is a great university also but there was just something about it that didn't impress me. Before hand I has spent a day in Manchester, Open days and interview days and call it love at first sight. The life science department was just full of people who had a real passion (without sounding to cheesy) for science, I spoke to several people for a good hour about what they had been learning and the course and I knew there was no other option. The fact that you can build up your degree around what YOU want to learn, not what anyone says you have to learn apart from the basics obviously. eg I hate plant science/love cardiovascular science and they had many modules on this. Also, everytime I've contact them or visited, they've been wonderfully helpful, polite and informative. Fell in love with my interviewer (prof ... I can't remember his name :colondollar:), we had a heated debate about the most vital component of the human body which I thought was very interesting. he ended up sending me a letter of recommendation however I don't really know what this means :/

don't even get me started on the city itself...

I know I sound desperate but it's all I really want to do, otherwise I don't think I see me going to uni :/

yeah call me a baby :frown:

ps. when I said about the modules I meant ALevel not university :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest