The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If you do Spring weeks in your first year of a four year course, will you be disadvantaged if you apply again for SW's in your second year?
* Subscribes*
Original post by i_hate_teeth
If you do Spring weeks in your first year of a four year course, will you be disadvantaged if you apply again for SW's in your second year?

I highly doubt it. However, what I found out from talking to IB recruiters is that your first year grade or percentages are highly important as they look at them before even further processing your application.
Original post by Zweihander
The things 100 has mentioned wont get you a spring week but are rather "prerequisites" for getting a spring week.

Getting AAA+ wont get you a spring week, especially at the top unis where everyone has AAA+. You're just expected to have good grades and in practice that means at least 3 As.

Also, going to Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, ICL and Warwick, I might add, wont get you a spring week either, but the vast majority of FO grads & interns come from those unis so going to one of those greatly improves your chances.

If you want to get a spring week the most important thing to do is to differentiate yourself. You need to do things that make you stand out, and you can do this by:

-getting relevant work experience
-getting involved in a wide range of extracurricualr activities (leadership positions, team sports, volunteering etc)
-getting involved in entrepreneurial ventures and other business initiatives

amongst other things, and reading a hell of a lot about banking, finance and the industry. That's how you get a spring week.

So you really need to get AAA+ in order to be considered? What about an AAB+ student from LSE or Warwick? *PS* check your inbox :smile:
Original post by iheartmondays
So you really need to get AAA+ in order to be considered? What about an AAB+ student from LSE or Warwick? *PS* check your inbox :smile:

Most banks have UCAS point requirements (340 is the norm), and your grades usually dont have much significance beyond ticking that box, unless you have exceptional academics (eg. 6 A*s at A level). More weight is given to work experience and evidence of core competencies (eg. through ECs), but at the target unis 3As is the minimum most applicants will have.

resend your pm, I'm having somes issues with my inbox.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm on track for A*A*A*AAB at A-level, does that mean I don't need as many EC's because of my exceptional academics?
Reply 47
I'm on track for A*A*A*AAB at A-level, does that mean I don't need as many EC's because of my exceptional academics?
Why are you so worried? Aren't you the guy who 'secured work experience at GS and JPM' already?

Chump.
Original post by Spurs657
Why are you so worried? Aren't you the guy who 'secured work experience at GS and JPM' already?

Chump.

This thread is about Spring Weeks, not pre-uni work experiance.
Original post by Zweihander
Most banks have UCAS point requirements (340 is the norm), and your grades usually dont have much significance beyond ticking that box, unless you have exceptional academics (eg. 6 A*s at A level). More weight is given to work experience and evidence of core competencies (eg. through ECs), but at the target unis 3As is the minimum most applicants will have.

resend your pm, I'm having somes issues with my inbox.

I've done it :smile: Thank you
Reply 50

Is that why you have a conditional and an unconditional? Did you get high enough for the UCL course (AAB probs) but not for the Imperial course (A*AA probs) so took some A2s that you'd done the AS in and some more full A levels to get the Imperial offer?
Reply 51
Just one of your relatives or close friends is bound to own a business, go there for a week without pay and impose yourself on the business. write financial market wrap ups for their industry everyday and hand them out to all staff, help them set up some kind of futures contract, build some kind of quantitative model for their business. don't wait to be asked to do things, impose yourself and your ideas on them, even if the staff don't ask for the thing or find it useful, do it and put it on your c.v. Thats how to build a good spring week c.v.
Original post by orca92
Is that why you have a conditional and an unconditional? Did you get high enough for the UCL course (AAB probs) but not for the Imperial course (A*AA probs) so took some A2s that you'd done the AS in and some more full A levels to get the Imperial offer?

I took some A-levels early, which exceeded UCL's entry requirements (AAB incl maths). I performed well in my interview so I was given an unconditional.

Imperial require 'A' in F. Maths and Physics at A2, which are the conditions of my offer.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think its good you guys are starting early! I left it late and only made 3 applications about 4 days before each deadline so I was very shocked when I got one haha!
Also start practicing your psychometric tests! Its never too early to start doing that and it doesn't matter how amazing your application is, no-one will even read it if you don't do well on the tests.

OP: You missed out Nomuras Womens Immersion programme as well, and GS isn't just IBD and Securities theres Technology, Finance and IA, Operations and GIR and maybe others I forget

And for those of you with the 3/4 year course issue only do the Spring Week if you can do the summer internship next summer. We got our offers today and some 1st years on a four year course WOULD have been offered one IF they had been graduating in 2013 but now they have to re-apply.

After you hit the minimum requirement at A Level, any surplus is irrelevant.
Original post by ChapterEleven
After you hit the minimum requirement at A Level, any surplus is irrelevant.

If I am an employer and I have the choice between a guy who has the minimum requirement or a guy who has 8A* which one do I chose?
hey I am in my first year @ UCL studying a 4 year course, I would really like to go into banking or atleast have some kind of work experience there, what happens if I dont get an internship in my second year?? is that it my chances of getting into IB over??? also do your first year grades matter? thanks
Original post by Frenchous
If I am an employer and I have the choice between a guy who has the minimum requirement or a guy who has 8A* which one do I chose?

If I'm an employer and I have a choice between someone who's 6 feet tall and someone who's 5"6 who do I choose?

Statistically tall people make more money. Just like statistically people with better grades make more money. Correlation =/= causation and any half-decent employer knows that.

There is always differentiating critieria.
Reply 58
Original post by Frenchous

The employers always going to have some sort of preference as to who he/she wants to have in their organisation. They'd probably choose whoever they'd like to work with the most.
Original post by ChapterEleven
If I'm an employer and I have a choice between someone who's 6 feet tall and someone who's 5"6 who do I choose?

Statistically tall people make more money. Just like statistically people with better grades make more money. Correlation =/= causation and any half-decent employer knows that.

There is always differentiating critieria.

Original post by orca92
The employers always going to have some sort of preference as to who he/she wants to have in their organisation. They'd probably choose whoever they'd like to work with the most.

you forgot that people who just get minimum requirements don't go to target universities

so it's pretty clear that the minimum requirement are not enough

Latest

Trending

Trending