The Student Room Group

Psychology Applicants (2012 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iammichealjackson
Cut down lancaster and birmingham in my opinion. Birmingham is a good uni but i didn't like the place much :P

see from looking online I really liked the look of Birmingham D:
however lancaster is a campus uni right? I think I'd want to go to an inner city one so I'll probably cut that out, but I'm not gonna cut any out till I've been to an open day there :P
Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
see from looking online I really liked the look of Birmingham D:
however lancaster is a campus uni right? I think I'd want to go to an inner city one so I'll probably cut that out, but I'm not gonna cut any out till I've been to an open day there :P

Birmingham is a campus too! Its a lovely campus actually, but theres a pretty grotty train ride into/from the city centre. Lancaster isn't as good at psychology as the other ones...
Birmingham is a campus too! Its a lovely campus actually, but theres a pretty grotty train ride into/from the city centre. Lancaster isn't as good at psychology as the other ones...

ooo is it? I didn't know it's a campus!
yeah, I think the ones I'm not certain on atm are Oxford (idk if I'm clever enough tbh), Lancaster, Leicester, Nottingham, but that could all change when I go to open days, so far I've only been to Manchester and I loved it, I really like the fact the buldings are mixed into the city centre :biggrin:
ooo is it? I didn't know it's a campus!
yeah, I think the ones I'm not certain on atm are Oxford (idk if I'm clever enough tbh), Lancaster, Leicester, Nottingham, but that could all change when I go to open days, so far I've only been to Manchester and I loved it, I really like the fact the buldings are mixed into the city centre :biggrin:

If you've got a good background knowledge, i.e. read alot around the subject, and are really interested in psychology, then you might as well apply. If your not that interested in applying to oxford though don't let people on TSR make you apply, but its worth considering when you get your grades back in August, most people who apply to oxbridge has pure A* GCSES and 100 UMS marks on everything! Cambridge don't have a "psychology" course per se, but every subject from archaeology to chemistry is lumped together in "triposes", where you begin with a broad base, but most people find the pure psych route more appealing.

Yeh Birminghams's a campus, does that cancel it out? I personally loved Sheffield, the city was really nice and the uni is right in the centre. I'm kicking my self for not putting it as my insurance over York, which was higher in the league tables.
(edited 12 years ago)
If you've got a good background knowledge, i.e. read alot around the subject, and are really interested in psychology, then you might as well apply. If your not that interested though don't let people on TSR make you apply, but its worth considering when you get your grades back in August, most people who apply to oxbridge has pure A* GCSES and 100 UMS marks on everything! Cambridge don't have a "psychology" course per se, but every subject from archaeology to chemistry is lumped together in "triposes", where you begin with a broad base, but most people find the pure psych route more appealing.

By the way, Cambridge has PPS which is Politics, Psychology, and Sociology.
Original post by punctuation
By the way, Cambridge has PPS which is Politics, Psychology, and Sociology.

As I said, you start off with a broad tripos and then focus on psychology or chemistry or whatever you want to do in the chosen tripos. Its changing from PPS to SST (social sciences tripos) to avoid confusion about the courses. For PPS you don't have to study all the PPS subjects and you can do things like biological anthropology in your first year which really compliment psychology. I don't know if many psychology applicants applied through the natural sciences route though, since you do no psych in the first year. Instead you do maths and other hard sciences then in the second year you can do psych.
(edited 12 years ago)
If you've got a good background knowledge, i.e. read alot around the subject, and are really interested in psychology, then you might as well apply. If your not that interested in applying to oxford though don't let people on TSR make you apply, but its worth considering when you get your grades back in August, most people who apply to oxbridge has pure A* GCSES and 100 UMS marks on everything! Cambridge don't have a "psychology" course per se, but every subject from archaeology to chemistry is lumped together in "triposes", where you begin with a broad base, but most people find the pure psych route more appealing.

Yeh Birminghams's a campus, does that cancel it out? I personally loved Sheffield, the city was really nice and the uni is right in the centre. I'm kicking my self for not putting it as my insurance over York, which was higher in the league tables.

I'm veryveryveryvery interested in Psychology and I do read about it alot extra rofl,
idk, I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it there too, my next door neighbour went to St Andrews and said some people were very snobby and cause he wasn't posh he felt very isolated and idk how much oxford would be like that?
I'm veryveryveryvery interested in Psychology and I do read about it alot extra rofl,
idk, I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it there too, my next door neighbour went to St Andrews and said some people were very snobby and cause he wasn't posh he felt very isolated and idk how much oxford would be like that?

If you're thinking of Oxford, please join our 2012 applicant thread! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1573912 We're very nice and always manage to keep on-topic (not).

Anyway, it reaaally depends on the college. A lot of them like Corpus Christi are very friendly and small, very inclusive. However, if you're going to the colleges at the top of the Norr' tables, like Madgalen, you may feel it's 'snobbier'.

So it's vital to pick a college that's right for you. :smile:

St Andrews... lawl. I went their and hated it straight away. Oxbridge people ive spoken to are actually all really nice, not snobby at all. People i know with offers their are all good too, even though Oxford has really high private school intake really smart people tend to be quite nice actually from who i know! St Andrews is probably worse for snobbyness, maybe because its so isolated or Prince William went their I don't know.
St Andrews... lawl. I went their and hated it straight away. Oxbridge people ive spoken to are actually all really nice, not snobby at all. People i know with offers their are all good too, even though Oxford has really high private school intake really smart people tend to be quite nice actually from who i know! St Andrews is probably worse for snobbyness, maybe because its so isolated or Prince William went their I don't know.

thats put my mind at ease, thankyou!
and I must admit the college stuff confused me, I've only started looking at Oxford recently because my friends convinced me I could have a chance, were could a get a breakdown of all the colleges?
thats put my mind at ease, thankyou!
and I must admit the college stuff confused me, I've only started looking at Oxford recently because my friends convinced me I could have a chance, were could a get a breakdown of all the colleges?

Search 'Oxford Colleges' on the top right of the TSR page and go to articles and you should find a comparison page. When i applied i used:

http://www.ousu.org/prospective-students/ap/

Click colleges :wink:

I picked the one with the cat (somerville college). Swapped to PPS though few days before the UCAS deadline.

P.s. i just realised your the same person from another psych forum on forensic psych lol!
(edited 12 years ago)
Search 'Oxford Colleges' on the top right of the TSR page and go to articles and you should find a comparison page. When i applied i used:

I picked the one with the cat (somerville college). Swapped to PPS though few days before the UCAS deadline.

P.s. i just realised your the same person from another psych forum on forensic psych lol!

hehehehe, this is how obsessed with psychology I am ;D

Did you decide to go to Cambridge instead for PPS?
Did you decide to go to Cambridge instead for PPS?

Yes, I wish sometimes that i applied to that oxford college with the cat though sometimes! I got an offer for PPS in the end though, so tis all good.
Yes, I wish sometimes that i applied to that oxford college with the cat though sometimes! I got an offer for PPS in the end though, so tis all good.

Haha, I see. Which college did you end up going to in Cambridge?
Haha, I see. Which college did you end up going to in Cambridge?

Corpus. Hopefully ill get in, abit worried about physics.
Corpus. Hopefully ill get in, abit worried about physics.

Good luck! :biggrin:

Also, a random question but can I ask why in your username 'michael' is spelled incorrectly? It's been bothering me for a while. :lol:
Good luck! :biggrin:

Also, a random question but can I ask why in your username 'michael' is spelled incorrectly? It's been bothering me for a while. :lol:

Oh crap. I've never been able to spell Michael (that looks wrong to me), and no i didn't notice untill now!
Haha that's fine. I was wondering if it was on purpose or not.

Why did I get neg rep for this post?!
If you're thinking of Oxford, please join our 2012 applicant thread! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1573912 We're very nice and always manage to keep on-topic (not).

Anyway, it reaaally depends on the college. A lot of them like Corpus Christi are very friendly and small, very inclusive. However, if you're going to the colleges at the top of the Norr' tables, like Madgalen, you may feel it's 'snobbier'.

So it's vital to pick a college that's right for you. :smile:
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle :smile:

Quick Reply