The Student Room Group
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales

Glamorgan - studying in Treforest, living in Cardiff

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mkb230
I will be living there as well, what was your first choice?

First choice was the new halls on Glamorgan Campus, I couldn't get The Bakery as it was full so I've put a deposit down for Cambrian Point. Looks like I will be catching the train into University.
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales
Reply 21
Original post by owentho1
First choice was the new halls on Glamorgan Campus, I couldn't get The Bakery as it was full so I've put a deposit down for Cambrian Point. Looks like I will be catching the train into University.

Same FML :angry: It's £450 for an annual train pass.
Reply 22
£450 Geez. I can drive but I am going to see what works out cheaper, petrol cost might add up to be too much.
Reply 23
Original post by owentho1
£450 Geez. I can drive but I am going to see what works out cheaper, petrol cost might add up to be too much.

If you find some people who's on your course living in Cambrian Point you could organise a car share scheme and split the petrol, I'm sure a lot of people would be glad to do that if it meant not having to get the train. I'm not sure which would be cheaper though, you never know with petrol these days :shifty:
Reply 24
Original post by rosiegarden
If you find some people who's on your course living in Cambrian Point you could organise a car share scheme and split the petrol, I'm sure a lot of people would be glad to do that if it meant not having to get the train. I'm not sure which would be cheaper though, you never know with petrol these days :shifty:

Should work out quite ok for transport in the car if I split petrol cost. It should cost around £4-£5 to get to Trefforest and back.
Reply 25
I'll be living in Cambrian point.. quite happy with that really as I want the city life.. freshers should be wild!
Reply 26
Original post by Graceyy
I'll be living in Cambrian point.. quite happy with that really as I want the city life.. freshers should be wild!

I haven't been allocated a room yet but I will be living at Cambrian point. Buzzing for freshers week :biggrin: Should be good considering that Cardiff is one of the best places to party :cool:
Reply 27
And me, should be mental :biggrin: ! Add me on facebook: www.facebook.com/Graaceyx
Reply 28
Original post by mkb230
Same FML :angry: It's £450 for an annual train pass.

FFS... Thats ridiculous! I've got to travel from Cambrian Point up to the Glyntaff campus so i can't really not get one... Is that with the 33% off through the uni? Gaaaahh.. -.-
Reply 29
Original post by marymop
FFS... Thats ridiculous! I've got to travel from Cambrian Point up to the Glyntaff campus so i can't really not get one... Is that with the 33% off through the uni? Gaaaahh.. -.-

Yeah it's with the discount, I don't think I would be able to afford one without the discount.
Reply 30
Original post by mkb230
Yeah it's with the discount, I don't think I would be able to afford one without the discount.

I can't with the discount!
Reply 31
Well I think it's just the exact same discount you get as a Rail card... it cost i think 5.50 for a return and 3.65 when I used my rail card.
and isn't it like 780 for 3 years pass thing ?? or was I just really badly informed ?
Reply 32
Original post by todsy
Well I think it's just the exact same discount you get as a Rail card... it cost i think 5.50 for a return and 3.65 when I used my rail card.
and isn't it like 780 for 3 years pass thing ?? or was I just really badly informed ?

It is pretty much the same discount as a railcard (33% vs. one third) but you can't use a railcard at peak times (before 10.30am I think) so the pass would be worth getting even if you have a railcard.

I have no idea about the actual price though, sorry!
I lived in the Bakery during my first year, and I have to say I had a fantastic time there. If anyone has any questions about the uni, Medical Sciences or The Bakery feel free to ask (you might need to quote me for a response!)

Since many have been asking about trains, here's some info about the pass and the trains:

Prices:
1 year season pass: £800 (Can't say what uni prices are - all I can say is that mine was £250 last year)
Return fare: £5.50 (£3.65 with railcard)
Single fare: £3.50 (£2.30 with railcard)
Railcard discounts can be used after 10AM on weekdays and throughout the weekend.

Advantages:

You'll get your money's worth if you make 4 or more journeys a week.

You can get on and off anywhere on the route, so if you need to go to somewhere else on the route (e.g. Llandaf) it's still valid.

Cardiff train stations have ticket barriers, and the queues can be quite long during peak hours - it'll save you some time by not having to queue for a ticket.

You might do better academically - at £5.50/3.65 a pop, would you go in for a single one hour lecture?

Disadvantages:

If you're on a course with very limited hours, it may not be worth it.

You're required to pay upfront for the pass, so if you drop out you may not get the money back.

Some more info about the trains:
There are 6 trains every hour, and you can take any of the following:

XX:06 - Treherbert

XX:11 - Aberdare

XX:26 - Merthyr Tydfil

XX:36 - Treherbert

XX:41 - Aberdare

XX:56 - Merthyr Tydfil

All southbound trains from Trefforest travel through Cardiff Central. The first train leaves Cardiff at 5:26, and the last train leaves Trefforest at 23:12. Journey times are 24/26 minutes (Merthyr trains stop at Trefforest Estate and take a little longer). Trains for Trefforest depart platform 6 (and sometimes 7) at Cardiff Central and platform 1 at Queen Street. There is a limited service on Sunday.

Route: Cardiff Central - Cardiff Queen Street - Cathays - Llandaf - Radyr - Taff's Well - (Trefforest Estate) - Trefforest - (Routes diverge on to Treherbert, Merthyr Tydfil and Aberdare).

WARNINGS:

Some trains skip Queen Street, Cathays and Llandaf and go via the city line instead - check the boards before stepping onto the train if you intend to get off at one of these stops.

Arriva Trains Wales drivers are notorious for going on strikes. Keep an eye on information boards at stations and on the National Rail website.

The Valley lines can sometimes be quite unreliable; signal failures and high winds seem to be a problem for the trains.

I hope this helps anyone who needs it (I wish I'd known all of this before starting tbh). As I said, if there's anything else someone wants to know, don't hesitate to ask me! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by chrisbontnewydd
I lived in the Bakery during my first year, and I have to say I had a fantastic time there. If anyone has any questions about the uni, Medical Sciences or The Bakery feel free to ask (you might need to quote me for a response!)

Since many have been asking about trains, here's some info about the pass and the trains:

Prices:
1 year season pass: £800 (Can't say what uni prices are - all I can say is that mine was £250 last year)

Advantages:

You can get on and off anywhere on the route, so if you need to go to somewhere else on the route (e.g. Llandaf) it's still valid.

Cardiff train stations have ticket barriers, and the queues can be quite long during peak hours - it'll save you some time by not having to queue for a ticket.

You might do better academically - at £5.50/3.65 a pop, would you go in for a single one hour lecture?

Disadvantages:

You're required to pay upfront for the pass, so if you drop out you may not get the money back.

All southbound trains from Trefforest travel through Cardiff Central. The first train leaves Cardiff at 5:26, and the last train leaves Trefforest at 23:12. Journey times are 24/26 minutes (Merthyr trains stop at Trefforest Estate and take a little longer). Trains for Trefforest depart platform 6 (and sometimes 7) at Cardiff Central and platform 1 at Queen Street.

Route: Cardiff Central - Cardiff Queen Street - Cathays - Llandaf - Radyr - Taff's Well - (Trefforest Estate) - Trefforest - (Routes diverge on to Treherbert, Merthyr Tydfil and Aberdare).

WARNINGS:

Some trains skip Queen Street, Cathays and Llandaf and go via the city line instead - check the boards before stepping onto the train if you intend to get off at one of these stops.

Arriva Trains Wales drivers are notorious for going on strikes. Keep an eye on information boards at stations and on the National Rail website.

The Valley lines can sometimes be quite unreliable; signal failures and high winds seem to be a problem for the trains.

I hope this helps anyone who needs it (I wish I'd known all of this before starting tbh). As I said, if there's anything else someone wants to know, don't hesitate to ask me! :smile:

If I buy a return ticket can I use it twice in one day ???
say i bought one then came back.. then decided to venture into cardiff again in the same day. would I have to buy a separate ticket ??

thanks (:
Original post by todsy
If I buy a return ticket can I use it twice in one day ???
say i bought one then came back.. then decided to venture into cardiff again in the same day. would I have to buy a separate ticket ??

thanks (:

You'll get 2 tickets - one for each way and you can only use them once, so you'd have to buy tickets twice. You can, however, split your journey into multiple parts and board the train at any station along the way.

For example:
A return from trefforest to central will allow you to travel to queen street, then from queen street to central and then from queen street back to trefforest.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36

Prices:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

All southbound trains from Trefforest travel through Cardiff Central. The first train leaves Cardiff at 5:26, and the last train leaves Trefforest at 23:12. Journey times are 24/26 minutes (Merthyr trains stop at Trefforest Estate and take a little longer). Trains for Trefforest depart platform 6 (and sometimes 7) at Cardiff Central and platform 1 at Queen Street.

WARNINGS:

You sir are a legend ! Rep for you :smile:
Reply 37

Prices:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

WARNINGS:

Good advice for people going to Glamorgan

Just to add as nobody has mentioned you can buy a-
Valleys Student Railcard - This gives a 26% discount on Standard Day and Cheap Day Single and Return fares (AND Weekly Tickets) on the Valleys Lines.
It costs only £9, which is great giving you a 26% discount.
You can buy it at the ticket offices at Pontypridd, Cardiff Queen Street or Cardiff Central Stations.
Pdf for info- http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=184&libID=202

This will save you £1.43 each time so will pay for itself after 7 uses. Seems a much better deal than £800 stated above, unless you go up and down every day. It also has the advantage of a tiny outlay, and is especially good for those on limited hours.

Also, you'll find its very rare for all trains not to run through Queen Street. Also there are no strikes planned and I think Arriva and the drivers have agreed a new pay deal which should ensure no strikes for the next year or two at least.

Also on another transport front, since last year ended Veoila has ended all bus operations in South Wales, most routes have got new operators on them, but timetables may be different so its best to check on Traveline Cymru for the most up to date timetables if you used to catch the bus.
Original post by Sun!
Also, you'll find its very rare for all trains not to run through Queen Street. Also there are no strikes planned and I think Arriva and the drivers have agreed a new pay deal which should ensure no strikes for the next year or two at least.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that. I think there were 2 trains each way that went via the city line per day, so the chances are very slim. It was only the Treherbert trains that did this if I remember correctly.

As for the strikes; we'll see what happens, shall we? I'd like to think you're right, but I'll just expect the worst - that way, I'll be pleasantly surprised that the trains are still running.
Reply 39
Yeah I think it was the Treherbert trains, due to capacity problems at Queen Street apparently.

According to - http://www.aslef.org.uk/information/102222/102225/102366/arriva_trains_wales/ August 2012 will be when the next pay deal is due.

Quick Reply

Latest