The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Washing up in a cafe when i was 15, £4 p/h....hated it
Reply 21
I was a glass collector it was rubbish
i got my first job at about 15, and started on about £3 an hour, but it was cash in hand, and i worked my way up the pay scale ladder, but got asked to leave after over 2 years, because it was shutting down.

i then went onto a normal job that was paid into my bank that paid above minimum wage, but it meant if i earned over £100 a week, which was usual in the holidays i had to pay tax. how i miss cash in hand now!
Reply 23
Started in McDonald's when I was 16 on £4.35 an hour. Still there :redface: but on £6.43 now which isn't too bad.
Reply 24
When I was 14 I worked as a leader at a youth group (for primary school kids) at my synagogue and helped out at religion classes on a Sunday. The work at the youth group was voluntary. For the work as a 'classroom assistant' I got £27 a month!

When I was 16 I then got a job as a library casual (which I actually quite enjoyed). Think I got paid whatever min wage was back then for people under 18. £4.60/hour or something!
(edited 12 years ago)
Had a summer job at Bakers oven when I was 16 (post GCSE) and I seem to recall being paid about £4.80 an hour which was quite a bit more than the minimum wage for 16 at a time (I had a friend the same age on £3.70 an hour..). Then I worked at Sainsburys when I was 17 for a LOWER wage of £3.90 per hour (though it increased up to £6.08 over the 3 years I worked there).
Original post by ladsh
This and OP have you ever had a job?

I wish :frown: looked for one though :/ Unless an avon rep counts :smile:

Original post by Samz
Other than a paper round between the ages of 13 & 15 I worked at Woolworths, on something like £4.60 an hour. I was 16 & thought I was so rich! Aha, :smile:

Ahh, how I miss woolies :P And that probably was rich then :biggrin:

Original post by happydinosaur
I did waitressing in a pub when I was 16 (summer between year 11 and sixth form)

Got paid £5 an hour and worked Saturdays and Sundays. Only did it for about 5 weeks though because I hated it and was rubbish. It was cash in hand, and seemed like loads of money at the time (though considering it was 9 years ago, £5 an hour was probably quite good for a 16 year old)

I think it'd even be good now, considering jobs are hard to come by..
Original post by Pandabär
Age 17, got £5.68 an hour.

I was a waitress in a four star hotel which did loads of weddings and formal dinners. It was rubbish. :frown:

Why was it rubbish?
Paper rounds from 13-18 (between £5 an hour to £7 when I got older), then started work as a writer which I still do now. Probably get around £14 an hour for that but it's not fixed it depends how much I can sell my work for.
Original post by Lauren Pen
Just out of interest, what was your first job? How old were you? How much was your hourly pay?

14, working in a gift shop, £5/hour, 5 hours on a Saturday. Got made redundant tho :frown:
at 16 I started working in a petrol station, min wage.
Lifeguard, 16, about £7 an hour and I LOVED IT!!
Original post by PonchoKid
i got my first job at about 15, and started on about £3 an hour, but it was cash in hand, and i worked my way up the pay scale ladder, but got asked to leave after over 2 years, because it was shutting down.

i then went onto a normal job that was paid into my bank that paid above minimum wage, but it meant if i earned over £100 a week, which was usual in the holidays i had to pay tax. how i miss cash in hand now!

What was your first job?

Original post by LTC1409
When I was 14 I worked as a leader at a youth group (for primary school kids) at my synagogue and helped out at religion classes on a Sunday. The work at the youth group was voluntary. For the work as a 'classroom assistant' I got £27 a month!

When I was 16 I then got a job as a library casual (which I actually quite enjoyed). Think I got paid whatever min wage was back then for people under 18. £4.60/hour or something!

Ohh, how would you get a job at a library? That'd be cool :smile:
Wow - a lot of you guys got good amounts for a first job!
Reply 32
Mine was at the Topshop concession in Selfridges. I was 16 and got £6.10 an hour and a sweet discount on clothes.

Why was it rubbish?

We never got proper breaks (even during 9- hour shifts), got less than 24 hours notice for shifts, had to deal with people at their most drunk and disorderly (mainly weddings), and my boss was the aunt of a nasty girl from my year at school who had always disliked me and my friends. The girl then started working there too, and used to convince her aunt to allow her to set tables/ light candles, whilst I had to clean dirty dishes. Oh, and any tips were kept by the managers. :frown:
Reply 34
First job voluneering at a youth centre. Paid in love:biggrin:
Original post by Pandabär
We never got proper breaks (even during 9- hour shifts), got less than 24 hours notice for shifts, had to deal with people at their most drunk and disorderly (mainly weddings), and my boss was the aunt of a nasty girl from my year at school who had always disliked me and my friends. The girl then started working there too, and used to convince her aunt to allow her to set tables/ light candles, whilst I had to clean dirty dishes. Oh, and any tips were kept by the managers. :frown:

Ahh I see :/

Original post by Ebuwa
First job voluneering at a youth centre. Paid in love:biggrin:

Aww :biggrin:
Reply 36
Aged 15 working in Boots I got paid £6.45 an hour. The only reason I got it was because my mum worked there, I hated it because I had to stand up all day and I'd had a skiing accident and a car accident (?!!?!) in the month before I got the job so I had pretty bad back problems which I still have to this day. Manager wouldn't provide me with something to sit on (recommended by a doctor) so I quit so someone else could have the job.

Edit: why the hell did I get negged for this?! FFS....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
I was 16 I think... I was a dishwasher or "kitchen porter" in a pub. £5 an hour, compared to the £4.20 I get now for cashier work in a small village shop :/
Original post by Odd Future
I was 16 I think... I was a dishwasher or "kitchen porter" in a pub. £5 an hour, compared to the £4.20 I get now for cashier work in a small village shop :/

It's still more than some have :P But why did you change jobs? Did it shut down?
Reply 39
It's still more than some have :P But why did you change jobs? Did it shut down?

Nope :P I left for a job as a waiter in a restaurant that offered £5.80 an hour + tips, but it shut down within months. I'd like to think I had nothing to do with its failure :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending