The Student Room Group

Oxford International Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hmm, it just seems odd why your own scholarships can't be used wherever you are going to school.
Does the gov't offer you loans? Or does it have to be private.
Original post by academic022
Interesting...why can't scholarships leave the country?

I'm sure i don't have to point out how nationalistic the US is - it goes out of its way to protect terrible inefficiencies like the cotton industry just to hold jobs at the expense of developing countries!

Besides (and probably a better reason), why would they bother when the vast majority of the world's best unis are american?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by academic022
Hmm, it just seems odd why your own scholarships can't be used wherever you are going to school.
Does the gov't offer you loans? Or does it have to be private.

Government scholarships can't be used overseas because the government doesn't want to invest taxpayers' money into another country.
Private scholarships can't be used because most foundations are caught up in the mindset that the US is the best in all aspects, so there's no logical reason why anyone should want to go somewhere not as good as any American schools, even if someone wants to, there's no reason why they should help.

The government offers some loans, but it won't cover everything.
What usually ends up happening, even for people who go to school in the states, is that their parents can take out government loans for them, or if the parents choose not to or it still doesn't cover the full costs, they resort to private loans.

It can be difficult to find scholarships and the like in the US; there's a reason why the total amount of student loan debt in the country is at 1 trillion dollars and rising every day.
Reply 383
I'm applying for a Davidson Scholarship, which can be used at Oxford. It's a lot of work and you have to be very creative and innovative and all, but I assume anyone who's applying to Oxford has got that covered :wink:
The issue is that the davidson doesn't really cover socual scientists. That's actually a larger issue in funding. There's lots of it for scientists, some for artists, and almost none for those who take an academic interest in the humanities.
Reply 385
Original post by msperception
The issue is that the davidson doesn't really cover socual scientists. That's actually a larger issue in funding. There's lots of it for scientists, some for artists, and almost none for those who take an academic interest in the humanities.

That's not entirely true. I know somebody who won a scholarship for a musicology project - you have to apply in the Outside the Box category, which is for academic research: http://print.ditd.org/fellows/2012_Davidson_Fellows_OUTSIDE_THE_BOX_Requirements.pdf
Doesn't FAFSA give loans to Americans studying in the U.K.? I don't know if it covers everything but it's something. And then of course getting a student-work visa.

Since we are on this subject, how does payment actually work?
Reply 387
I know that there are a few scholarships for Indian students applying to Cambridge, but you have to be going to a school in India and I think you are obliged to work for the government for two years afterward.
I live in Malaysia;most of the Malaysian students who got into Cambridge showed their acceptance letters to the government and came out with a partial scholarship! :smile:
Original post by LetThemEatCake

Since we are on this subject, how does payment actually work?

Does anyone know about this?
I know there is a sticky post about this, but as an international student, I couldn't find any answers related to me in there.

I have a high school diploma for the highest level of education in the netherlands (Gymnasium) and an average grade of 7.3 (B I think) on my diploma (which consist of an end-exam and a collection of exams from the years before, and an avarage grade of 7.7 for my end-exam. I've been at a Dutch Art school for 2 years now, but I've come to the conclusion that this isn't for me, and I would really like to do the Philosophy, Politics and Economics course at Oxford. I did the TSA test and had a score of 65 the first time, which is above average. I know I could get a higher score if I practiced, but you need an average of 8 (A) on your high-school diploma to go to Oxford, so I don't think I will be accepted, for that reason.

Are there any other possibilities to do the PPE course at Oxford, for which you don't need an 8 average? Could I for example do some course at another university that would allow me to go to Oxford?
Reply 390
Honest question: Do you think getting into huge amounts of debt for a degree from Oxford is worth it for an international student?

Specifically, a degree in PPE.

edit: by the way when I say "huge" I mean really ****ing huge
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Cromat
Honest question: Do you think getting into huge amounts of debt for a degree from Oxford is worth it for an international student?

Specifically, a degree in PPE.

edit: by the way when I say "huge" I mean really ****ing huge

What do you mean by huge?
9000 Pounds per year?
Because that's what I thought the cost is.

Anyway, could someone answer my question:
Are there any other possibilities to do the PPE course at Oxford, for which you don't need an 8 average? Could I for example do some course at another university that would allow me to go to Oxford?
Reply 392
Original post by Questioner1
What do you mean by huge?
9000 Pounds per year?
Because that's what I thought the cost is.

£9,000 per year... plus accommodation, plus food, plus living expenses, plus flight tickets back to the Netherlands (or extra residence if you choose to stay in Oxford during the vacation). The university estimate of £7,600 per year for other costs may be exaggerated, but even if you spend your money less extravagantly you'll hardly be able to manage on less than £5,500 - and that's assuming a weekly budget of around £65 for food and all other expenses, so quite a modest estimate. Plus there'll probably be inflation and rising costs for rent / food / just about everything else, over the next few years, so realistically, you'll be looking at about €60,000-70,000 for your degree. You may still think it's worth it, but nevertheless it's a lot.
Anyway, could someone answer my question:

Not really, no. But there are several other universities that also offer PPE courses, like York or Warwick (I think). Some of them may have lower grade requirements for Dutch applicants.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 393
Original post by hobnob
£9,000 per year... plus accommodation, plus food, plus living expenses, plus flight tickets back to the Netherlands (or extra residence if you choose to stay in Oxford during the vacation). The university estimate of £7,600 per year for other costs may be exaggerated, but even if you spend your money less extravagantly you'll hardly be able to manage on less than £5,500 - and that's assuming a weekly budget of around £65 for food and all other expenses, so quite a modest estimate. Plus there'll probably be inflation and rising costs for rent / food / just about everything else, over the next few years, so realistically, you'll be looking at about €60,000-70,000 for your degree. You may still think it's worth it, but nevertheless it's a lot.

I calculated about 70,000.... will it payoff in your opinion?
Reply 394
Original post by Cromat
I calculated about 70,000.... will it payoff in your opinion?

You mean financially? Hmm, I'm not really the best person to ask, as this isn't my subject area... Plus I did my undergraduate degree when fees were only just over £1,000 a year, so naturally £9,000 a year seems completely insane to me, and that may make me a bit biased. But for what it's worth: I'd say the question you have to consider here isn't just whether you'd be able to get a job afterwards that would earn you enough to pay back your student loan, but also whether a PPE degree from a UK university would really enable you to get a substantially better job than a similar degree from a good Dutch university with maybe a year of Erasmus thrown in. I'm sure there are many good reasons for doing a PPE degree in the UK, but I'm not totally convinced that financial 'payoff' is the most compelling one when you've got the option to get a degree at a fraction of the cost and probably not be that much worse off for jobs afterwards.:dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hobnob
You mean financially? Hmm, I'm not really the best person to ask, as this isn't my subject area... Plus I did my undergraduate degree when fees were only just over £1,000 a year, so naturally £9,000 a year seems completely insane to me, and that may make me a bit biased. But for what it's worth: I'd say the question you have to consider here isn't just whether you'd be able to get a job afterwards that would earn you enough to pay back your student loan, but also whether a PPE degree from a UK university would really enable you to get a substantially better job than a similar degree from a good Dutch university with maybe a year of Erasmus thrown in. I'm sure there are many good reasons for doing a PPE degree in the UK, but I'm not totally convinced that financial 'payoff' is the most compelling one when you've got the option to get a degree at a fraction of the cost and probably not be that much worse off for jobs afterwards.:dontknow:

hey, thanks for the reply, but I can sort out the financial stuff myself. I really want to know if it's at all possible to go to oxford somehow, given my situation in terms of grades. Is there any way to go to oxford with an avarage 7.4 Gymnasium though the website asks for an avarage of 8.
Reply 396
Original post by Questioner1
hey, thanks for the reply, but I can sort out the financial stuff myself. I really want to know if it's at all possible to go to oxford somehow, given my situation in terms of grades. Is there any way to go to oxford with an avarage 7.4 Gymnasium though the website asks for an avarage of 8.

Why don't you email the admissions office and ask? That way you'll get a definitive answer.
I wouldn't get my hopes up too much, though, if I were you... PPE is a popular course, so they have to do quite a bit of pre-interview sifting, and the most obvious candidates for 'deselection' are always the ones who don't / aren't expected to meet the standard offer grades. If you're serious about wanting to study PPE, you'll probably have to look beyond Oxford, sorry.:frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 397
If I have already received an offer to go to Oxford, but can't afford it at the moment, do you think they'll agree to defer my entry one year later so that I can work and earn the necessary money?

Or will I have to reapply and go through the entire process once again?
Reply 398
Original post by Cromat
If I have already received an offer to go to Oxford, but can't afford it at the moment, do you think they'll agree to defer my entry one year later so that I can work and earn the necessary money?

Or will I have to reapply and go through the entire process once again?

You'll need to ask your college, but they may say that you have to reapply. The financial guarantee is for the cost of your entire degree, though, not just your first year, so you probably wouldn't be able to earn that much within a year anyway.
Edit: This is based on the fact that you mentioned in one of your earlier posts that you're from Israel. If you pay fees at the home/EU rate (and are consequently eligible for a fees loan), though, you might just about manage.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 399
Original post by hobnob
You'll need to ask your college, but they may say that you have to reapply. The financial guarantee is for the cost of your entire degree, though, not just your first year, so you probably wouldn't be able to earn that much within a year anyway.
Edit: This is based on the fact that you mentioned in one of your earlier posts that you're from Israel. If you pay fees at the home/EU rate (and are consequently eligible for a fees loan), though, you might just about manage.

Nope! You're right that it won't change the entire picture :smile:

I didn't know the financial guarantee is for the entire degree. Oh well at this point there's really almost nothing I can do :/ Unless some unexpected miracle happens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending