The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by c3ntury
Blimey I've slipped down the rankings eh? :tongue:

i've gone up A LOT
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
How long does it take to get a Ph.D (not including the years it takes to to get the degree amd Masters)

I may do a Masters,but thats at stretch. The extra time is takes to do a gap year, MA and Ph.d I could save 75-90 thousand pounds.

It all depends on how successful you are in finding your research!
Original post by GreenLantern1
Your quote!

What quote?

Quote me again!

Done :colone:
It'll be like Alan Turing and G.H.Hardy - though I don't believe they ever worked together!

Not this again :lol:
Reply 3984
It'll be like Alan Turing and G.H.Hardy - though I don't believe they ever worked together!

If I ended being even a fraction of Alan Turing, then I'd have exceeded my future career hopes and dreams. :wink:

How long does it take to get a Ph.D (not including the years it takes to to get the degree amd Masters)

I may do a Masters,but thats at stretch. The extra time is takes to do a gap year, MA and Ph.d I could save 75-90 thousand pounds.

Typically 7 years for a Ph.D if I remember correctly.

International Mathematical Olympiad.

This person has o be a crazy mathematician. Literally, top 5 in the country of Britain!!!

Whoa, definitely out of my territory haha!
Original post by c3ntury
Blimey I've slipped down the rankings eh? :tongue:

So have I :cry2:
When you found it copy and paste the post count on to here.

I want to see where everyone is at. Think Charlie must have overtaken us all by now lol!

I dunno where it is :afraid:
It all depends on how successful you are in finding your research!

my cousin is working with both imperial and cambridge to get his phd -
he's doing it on wait for it....

Electrophoretic Separation, encapsulation and fluorescence detection of analytes in a multi-phase microfluidic µ-TAS platform

now isn't that one hell of a mouthful :biggrin:

he did a masters in nanotechnology
Original post by Pandora.
So have I :cry2:

I've gone up quite a bit! :dance: But if you count my posts from previous accounts I should be near the top :woo:
:tongue:
Original post by justinawe
That's cool, it is a rather logical conclusion after all, I was just a little offended when you said that you were "too deep for you guys".

You are, of course, right. Life is to be enjoyed, your happiness is far more important than your success at the end of the day. :smile:

I'm sorry if I offended you. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I was actually trying to be funny. I'm the kind of person who makes jokes so frequently, it's hard to tell. Seeing as you guys don't even know me, it's to be expected that you felt offended. I would be offended by myself.

Oh, and the person who was saying that I was patronizing. I'm sorry if I came across that way. Oh, and I'll make a future comment about you guys being drones. Another joke! Honestly, I joke all of the time. Don't get offended. That's how you tell whether someone's had a troubling childhood. They'll joke all of the time! I'm not referring to myself by the way-just making another joke. After all, life's just one big depressing, meaningless joke...I'M JOKING!! lololoool.

I'm actually a super-positive-optimistic person about life. One thing I am realising, is that the happiness from grades is short lived. You'll get A*'s, be happy, and then that happiness will go pretty quickly. If you get, lets say 10 A*'s, you'll be really happy right? But if your happiness comes from grades, and you see that someone got 14 A*'s, most likely you'll get depressed, or quite jealous.

Y'all seem like a pretty tight nit unit, so I'll leave you to the company of yourselves. Bye bye now.
Reply 3990
I'm like, fourth or something. :tongue:
What degree does everyone want to do? I want to do Aeronautical engineering with a year in industry at BAE...

I haven't made my final decision yet, but Engineering, Aeronautical or Mechanical, is definitely on the cards atm.
Original post by TheDizzeeKid
I've gone up quite a bit! :dance: But if you count my posts from previous accounts I should be near the top :woo:
:tongue:

:holmes: Maybe I should do some detective work. :wink:
Original post by c3ntury
If I ended being even a fraction of Alan Turing, then I'd have exceeded my future career hopes and dreams. :wink:

Whoa, definitely out of my territory haha!

7 years?! Plus 1 year for MA and another year for gap year. With my calculations, say I earn 30 k a year, for 9 years (It would increase obviously with experience but lets keep this simple) I'd have 270 thousand pounds saved.
Does anyone here have a part-time job and where?
Original post by Pandora.
:holmes: Maybe I should do some detective work. :wink:

haha, go on.... Let's see if you can track me down :ninja:
Original post by c3ntury

7 years for a PhD on it's own? :eek:
Does anyone here have a part-time job and where?

I dont have time for a job, too much studying
I haven't made my final decision yet, but Engineering, Aeronautical or Mechanical, is definitely on the cards atm.

Good choice :biggrin:
aeronautical looks much better, but I haven't done too much research into mechanical...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3998
7 years?! Plus 1 year for MA and another year for gap year. With my calculations, say I earn 30 k a year, for 9 years (It would increase obviously with experience but lets keep this simple) I'd have 270 thousand pounds saved.

I think it's 6 including the MA.

And eh? You're going to earn 30K a year... and not spend a penny... for nearly a decade?

How does that work?
Good choice :biggrin:
aeronautical looks much better, but I haven't done too much research into mechanical...

:awesome:

I think Aeronautical is more rewarding financially and is more interesting but the competition is IMMENSE at the Uni's I want to apply to. With Mechanical I think I'd have more of a chance :smile:

Latest