The Student Room Group

Racism in the UK

Right, now I don't mean cities like London where there's a huge mix etc. but generally in the UK where cities are majority white, I always sense racism towards me. I'm not saying everyone who is white is racist, but I do see it happening. People try to be politically correct, and embrace other cultures etc. but sometimes the racism is so blatant, like a cashier would smile at every white customer, but not at the Arab. Although he isn't being racist, as an Arab I always feel that I'm looked down upon. Now there are some people who have no problem with me being Arab, my girlfriend who is white actually first started to like me because I looked exotic to her. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this, and what your opinions are?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There are racist people everywhere even in multicultural cities like London, Manchester, Birmingham etc. Yes its sad but you just have to just take it on the chin. People that are racists usually are afraid of things they don't understand, so instead of tacking the real issue which is their ignorance they choose to take it out on the people of other races.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Right, now I don't mean cities like London where there's a huge mix etc. but generally in the UK where cities are majority white, I always sense racism towards me. I'm not saying everyone who is white is racist, but I do see it happening. People try to be politically correct, and embrace other cultures etc. but sometimes the racism is so blatant, like a cashier would smile at every white customer, but not at the Arab. Although he isn't being racist, as an Arab I always feel that I'm looked down upon. Now there are some people who have no problem with me being Arab, my girlfriend who is white actually first started to like me because I looked exotic to her. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this, and what your opinions are?

:sadnod: I'm an international student so I understand how you feel. You will tend to get this anywhere you go. I just ignore the people who act differently around you simply because you're not white. It isn't worth the time or effort to complain / sulk about them as it won't make a difference.

Although I have experienced a few racist jabs, particularly on night outs when some drunks are staggering around on the streets, it is the general stereotyping which I dislike. :dry:

Cookie ? :cookie:

I think you are being over sensitive.

I appreciate that you may feel this way but honestly I don't have any problem with skin colour and you don't appear to have a real problem.

In my job I'm a cashier and I face all sorts of people, I smile at everybody, sometimes I forget to smile or say hello because it becomes such a robotic thing I go into overload. Sometimes I don't realise. I wouldn't worry.

Everybody gets looked down on. I do, I'm white, people who are white look down on me. So do black people and brown.

Unless somebody goes out of their way to be incredibly offensive or make a point of your skin colour I wouldn't complain, it just alienates people who can't be bothered with whining or are too scared of upsetting you more.

Chin up.
Reply 4
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this, and what your opinions are?

The UK is a lot less racist then other countries.

If you want to baw your eyes out over human nature, then do so. But it is not a UK problem.
Reply 5
I guess it depends where you live. But remember that it's not just whites who are racist. Maybe you're getting those looks for another reason entirely. Some people don't see skin colour first; they see facial features, body shape etc. Everyone's a little bit racist.
Reply 6
I never really noticed it or encountered it personally. BUT - I do see it towards Indian/blacks. But it's not as bad as other countries
Reply 7
I spent several years living in Asia and the racism I encountered was horrific. It happens everywhere
Reply 8
England isn't the route of all racism like some labourite activists/simpletons would chant out, whilst banging their war drums. Look at what happens in a lot of African countries every time their are elections, one party for each tribe and a civil conflict ensues.
Reply 9
Original post by jazzykinks
I guess it depends where you live. But remember that it's not just whites who are racist. Maybe you're getting those looks for another reason entirely. Some people don't see skin colour first; they see facial features, body shape etc. Everyone's a little bit racist.

It seems to happen to me most places. I don't see why they'd give me looks otherwise, I'm not terribly ugly or anything :-/

I see where people are coming from with saying that racism isn't a problem, I mentioned these small things that occur, but I also do face blatant racism on the streets sometimes, as the other international student mentioned mostly with drunk folk. "You filthy Arab ****, try not to blow us up" etc.
Original post by BACTSR2
England isn't the route of all racism like some labourite activists/simpletons would chant out, whilst banging their war drums. Look at what happens in a lot of African countries every time their are elections, one party for each tribe and a civil conflict ensues.

That's not racism. Do you or anybody posting in this thread even know the meaning of the word "Racism"?
"I suffer from racism because people don't always smile at me" #firstworldproblems
If all the "racism" you recieve is them not smiling at you, you really need to get a grip.
Reply 13
Original post by Silver Arrow
That's not racism. Do you or anybody posting in this thread even know the meaning of the word "Racism"?

Do you? There is more to it that beliefs about racial supremacy. Anyway, read more about the Rwanda genocide. That was partially inspired by racism, as was the Zanzibar massacre.
(edited 11 years ago)
It seems to happen to me most places. I don't see why they'd give me looks otherwise, I'm not terribly ugly or anything :-/

I see where people are coming from with saying that racism isn't a problem, I mentioned these small things that occur, but I also do face blatant racism on the streets sometimes, as the other international student mentioned mostly with drunk folk. "You filthy Arab ****, try not to blow us up" etc.

It's not really their fault -- they're influenced by how the media portrays Arabs and that's usually their only prior experience to Arabs, hence their racism. I don't know...just try not to let it get to you too much!
Reply 15
Original post by jazzykinks
It's not really their fault -- they're influenced by how the media portrays Arabs and that's usually their only prior experience to Arabs, hence their racism. I don't know...just try not to let it get to you too much!

I disagree. You can't use the media as an excuse for being racist.
Reply 16
In regards to the cashier I always found not just arabs but people from poland, lithuanian and quite a few african people were actually rude or demanding, along with some english people but I think it comes down to knowing proper social convention. Difference in culture my be behind the not smiling, sometimes people don't even realise they're being rude from different cultures.
Original post by MancBoy
I disagree. You can't use the media as an excuse for being racist.

It's not entirely their fault though and the media has a lot to answer for. I can see why people would be racist, but I don't necessarily agree with them.

So you want the british to bend over backwards and coddle you and massage your feelings?
None of what you said is racist, you're just another fool doing your best to find racism where there isn't any.
I think theres a fine line between racist remarks and a joke....people take so many things way to personally

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending