The Student Room Group

Med school with 2 kids?

Hi everyone

I have one 3 year old and am currently 3 months pregnant with the second. I have applied to med school for 2012 entry but was unsuccessful and was unsure whether to apply again this year but for deferred entry in 2014.

Has anyone else applied to med school or had an interview whilst being pregnant and has this been a disadvantage at all? I can't imagine walking into an interview with a huge bump would do me any favours!

Also, how manageable is it to juggle a medical degree and 2 kids?I am the type of person who needs to dedicate a lot of my time to doing well and worry I may not be able to cope. I am a graduate with a medical science degree so know what it takes to study for a degree.

Any advice much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Missymoo84
Hi everyone

I have one 3 year old and am currently 3 months pregnant with the second. I have applied to med school for 2012 entry but was unsuccessful and was unsure whether to apply again this year but for deferred entry in 2014.

Has anyone else applied to med school or had an interview whilst being pregnant and has this been a disadvantage at all? I can't imagine walking into an interview with a huge bump would do me any favours!

Also, how manageable is it to juggle a medical degree and 2 kids?I am the type of person who needs to dedicate a lot of my time to doing well and worry I may not be able to cope. I am a graduate with a medical science degree so know what it takes to study for a degree.

Any advice much appreciated.

Someone in my year did a medical degree with two small kids. (Not newborns, but 3-7 category) It must have been hard, but she had a supportive husband and grandparents were around the corner. Ended up doing extremely well in her course!
I am doing teaching with 4 kids and yes it's hard but I am really enjoying it so my advice is go for it.
Reply 3
I've just got a place on the access course after having done an HNC & HND in Biomedical Science and will be applying for 2013 entry. I have 3 children, 2, 7 and 10. The 7 year old also has cerebral palsy and kidney disease (no dialysis thankfully).

It's hard and I am constantly juggling things and hoping that the 7 year doesn't take a bad turn, especially when I have an exam or important lecture the next day. Then you have everything that you would need to do at home like tidying up, washing and ironing, getting car insurance quotes, doing the shopping, making meals that are reasonably healthy, spending time with the kids, giving your other half a bit of attention so he/she doesn't take the huff and helping your dear aunt/granny/mother/dog etc.

I wouldn't have it any other way though, I love it.
Single mum with 5 kids and I start at Newcastle GEP in September. It will be tough for you but not impossible. I did my first degree (biochemistry and genetics), as a single mum, with a 2 year old and 16 month old twins so I know exactly what its like. Be disciplined and work while at uni as much as you can, however tempting the coffee ahop may be.....That way you will have more of your evenings/weekends free. Treat med school as a 9-5 job. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way of doing it.

Good luck x
Reply 5
Original post by select the right name
Single mum with 5 kids and I start at Newcastle GEP in September. It will be tough for you but not impossible. I did my first degree (biochemistry and genetics), as a single mum, with a 2 year old and 16 month old twins so I know exactly what its like. Be disciplined and work while at uni as much as you can, however tempting the coffee ahop may be.....That way you will have more of your evenings/weekends free. Treat med school as a 9-5 job. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way of doing it.

Good luck x

I agree with this. Quick break for food, take coffee in a flask (saves time waiting for canteen stuff to cool) and head to the libary or study area and work on any reports. Also, get the reports done early that way you're not chasing your tail last minute.
Reply 6
Thanks everyone for their messages. It's good to know so many people can successfully balance medical school along side parenting.

Has anyone applied to med school whilst being heavily pregnant though and got in? I am currently 3 months pregnant and would be heavily pregnant come interview time and am worried it would scupper my chances. I would be applying for deferred entry 2014 anyway, but my current thinking is applying in this cycle would give me an extra shot at getting in for 2014.

Thanks
Original post by Missymoo84
Thanks everyone for their messages. It's good to know so many people can successfully balance medical school along side parenting.

Has anyone applied to med school whilst being heavily pregnant though and got in? I am currently 3 months pregnant and would be heavily pregnant come interview time and am worried it would scupper my chances. I would be applying for deferred entry 2014 anyway, but my current thinking is applying in this cycle would give me an extra shot at getting in for 2014.

Thanks

Correct me if i'm wrong, but considering most interviews are held in the march to may period, wouldn't you have already given birth in dec/jan/feb ?
Reply 8
Original post by Orinincandenza
Correct me if i'm wrong, but considering most interviews are held in the march to may period, wouldn't you have already given birth in dec/jan/feb ?

I wouldn't say most interviews are held in March, it would depend on the medical school.
My mum still studied when I was little (<4). She would leave a bit of hair by the door and I'd think it was a spider and not bother her. Just a small tip :p:

Quick Reply

Latest