The Student Room Group

emailing a manager

Need some advice on this one:-

So I worked at a company for my industrial placement year. I got on really well with everyone, did a lot of noticable work that was widely appreciated. My manager was determined to get me back into the company after graduating so he set up informal 'interviews' with the head of UK HR and FD of the company. But due to nervousness I know I fudged it up.

Anyway, I've recently emailed my manager 2 weeks ago saying a friendly hello. I haven't heard a reply since. I'm trying to get back into the company but I thought I should just say hello first, then ask for some assistance. Since my manager has not replied at all, how should I proceed? I'm thinking that he didn't reply because he chose not to - hence a phone call or another email would just make things awkward. But if he went as far as to bother the head of UK HR and FD with interviewing me, should I just try to call in several weeks?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by H.JJJ
Need some advice on this one:-

So I worked at a company for my industrial placement year. I got on really well with everyone, did a lot of noticable work that was widely appreciated. My manager was determined to get me back into the company after graduating so he set up informal 'interviews' with the head of UK HR and FD of the company. But due to nervousness I know I fudged it up.

Anyway, I've recently emailed my manager 2 weeks ago saying a friendly hello. I haven't heard a reply since. I'm trying to get back into the company but I thought I should just say hello first, then ask for some assistance. Since my manager has not replied at all, how should I proceed? I'm thinking that he didn't reply because he chose not to - hence a phone call or another email would just make things awkward. But if he went as far as to bother the head of UK HR and FD with interviewing me, should I just try to call in several weeks?

Thanks.

It can be dangerous to make assumptions sometimes. I never received a reply from someone I emailed and when I chased it up, I found out she never received the email. Electronic communication isn't always 100% reliable.

There could be several reasons why he hasn't replied. Your best bet is to give him a call.
Reply 2
Original post by advent2
It can be dangerous to make assumptions sometimes. I never received a reply from someone I emailed and when I chased it up, I found out she never received the email. Electronic communication isn't always 100% reliable.

There could be several reasons why he hasn't replied. Your best bet is to give him a call.

Ok, I'll give him a call. I have no idea how to proceed with the phone call. I've never done something like this before.

Thanks
Original post by H.JJJ
Ok, I'll give him a call. I have no idea how to proceed with the phone call. I've never done something like this before.

Thanks

I suppose the best way forward would be to start off with 'hi', followed by some casual small-talk for a minute or so, and then get down to the business :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by H.JJJ

Thanks

Just introduce yourself and ask if he is free to talk first. If he is, just enquire about whether or not he has received your email and take it from there.
Reply 5
Some of these people are very busy, so he may have read your email and then forgot to reply. Just give him a call, ask if it's convenient to talk, have a catch up (how's work etc), then just ask if he'd heard anything from your interview.
Reply 6
Original post by stanmoor
Some of these people are very busy, so he may have read your email and then forgot to reply. Just give him a call, ask if it's convenient to talk, have a catch up (how's work etc), then just ask if he'd heard anything from your interview.

True. However, there wasn't any formal interview, I'm going on what he said to me and how he arranged certain things. He said to me numerous times "You basically have a job here even if you decided not to finish your degree". I haven't put in an application for the Grad Scheme as there hasn't been one.

I guess I will call randomly some time next week. I'm in a tough situation with graduate jobs at the moment and this company is my last lifeline.

PS - Thank you all for your advice. Seriously, much appreciated!
Reply 7
Original post by H.JJJ
True. However, there wasn't any formal interview, I'm going on what he said to me and how he arranged certain things. He said to me numerous times "You basically have a job here even if you decided not to finish your degree". I haven't put in an application for the Grad Scheme as there hasn't been one.

I guess I will call randomly some time next week. I'm in a tough situation with graduate jobs at the moment and this company is my last lifeline.

PS - Thank you all for your advice. Seriously, much appreciated!

Let us know how it goes.
let us know how this goes, hope its well :smile:
Reply 9
I just rang him

He was on his way to a funeral

hah
hahah
ahh
ahah
a

FUUUU

edit: He also did not sound pleased. He said he would call me over the weekend. How the fudge do I ask him now? I can't exactly make small talk like "hey how are you, how have you been?" now that I know he came back from a funeral. ****.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by H.JJJ
I just rang him

He was on his way to a funeral

hah
hahah
ahh
ahah
a

FUUUU

edit: He also did not sound pleased. He said he would call me over the weekend. How the fudge do I ask him now? I can't exactly make small talk like "hey how are you, how have you been?" now that I know he came back from a funeral. ****.

Anybody on their way to a funeral is likely not to be in the best of moods.

Equally, it is encouraging that he will call you at the weekend rather than on Monday (encouraging also that he will call you at all).

I'm presuming that you know your manager fairly well given that you worked with him for a year? I'm also presuming that you did badly (or thought you did badly) on your 'interviews' due to nerves rather than turning up late/being rude/arrogant etc. In which case he has no reason to hold anything against you.

Wait for his call and take it from there. Don't assume you will get anything out of him (funding cuts etc. may mean he is unable to take you on as an employee) but be enthusiastic and indicate clearly that you would love, if at all possible, to become involved with the company again and are interested in knowing if there is currently any scope for that to happen.
Reply 11
Original post by standreams
Anybody on their way to a funeral is likely not to be in the best of moods.

Equally, it is encouraging that he will call you at the weekend rather than on Monday (encouraging also that he will call you at all).

I'm presuming that you know your manager fairly well given that you worked with him for a year? I'm also presuming that you did badly (or thought you did badly) on your 'interviews' due to nerves rather than turning up late/being rude/arrogant etc. In which case he has no reason to hold anything against you.

Wait for his call and take it from there. Don't assume you will get anything out of him (funding cuts etc. may mean he is unable to take you on as an employee) but be enthusiastic and indicate clearly that you would love, if at all possible, to become involved with the company again and are interested in knowing if there is currently any scope for that to happen.

Yeah, agreed.

Just an update: He called a few hours after I called and after me apologising about ringing him, I told him why I rang and such. Anyway, he called today and made an offer! Not a graduate scheme, but it's pretty much my industrial placement job + a bit extra.

Great thing is he said the offer will always be there and he didn't want an answer right away. I'm just going to take it, as my options are fairly limited. Plus I liked working there, the people were great, work was meh. He couldn't give me a idea of salary but it's going to be £18,000+ as he mentioned it would be higher than my industrial placement salary.

So glad I called. Thanks everyone for your suggestions, really appreciate it.
Original post by H.JJJ
Yeah, agreed.

Just an update: He called a few hours after I called and after me apologising about ringing him, I told him why I rang and such. Anyway, he called today and made an offer! Not a graduate scheme, but it's pretty much my industrial placement job + a bit extra.

Great thing is he said the offer will always be there and he didn't want an answer right away. I'm just going to take it, as my options are fairly limited. Plus I liked working there, the people were great, work was meh. He couldn't give me a idea of salary but it's going to be £18,000+ as he mentioned it would be higher than my industrial placement salary.

So glad I called. Thanks everyone for your suggestions, really appreciate it.

Congratulations- I'm glad it worked out for you, and this proves that 'nothing ventured, nothing gained.' The fact that your employer obviously likes you and wants you to work for them will probably stand you in better stead than a generic graduate scheme in another organisation where you are just one of many. Well done.
Yay, well done!

I'm curious, what degree did you do?
Reply 14
Original post by EffieFlowers
Yay, well done!

I'm curious, what degree did you do?

international business and economics at Aston.
Reply 15
Original post by standreams
Congratulations- I'm glad it worked out for you, and this proves that 'nothing ventured, nothing gained.' The fact that your employer obviously likes you and wants you to work for them will probably stand you in better stead than a generic graduate scheme in another organisation where you are just one of many. Well done.

Agreed. The fact that I am familar with the role will really help. Although I've got one application open to a certain public sector department that I would take up in an instant, think I'm going to play it safe and just take this one up ASAP.

Hate the area it's located in, ah well! I'm just a bit concerned about the pay now. Since I'm not an placement student anymore, council tax, student loan repayments, pension, car and other factors have to be considered in my expenses. Hopefully it is competitive.
Original post by H.JJJ
Agreed. The fact that I am familar with the role will really help. Although I've got one application open to a certain public sector department that I would take up in an instant, think I'm going to play it safe and just take this one up ASAP.

Hate the area it's located in, ah well! I'm just a bit concerned about the pay now. Since I'm not an placement student anymore, council tax, student loan repayments, pension, car and other factors have to be considered in my expenses. Hopefully it is competitive.

Although you will hear all kinds of nonsense on here saying otherwise, £18,000 is a respectable starting salary for a graduate. If you are living at home then you'll be able to make good savings on that (presuming a sensible lifestyle). I managed to live away from home (in the London suburbs) on £19k, paying rent on a flat, bills etc. and still managed to take the odd holiday, eat out and have a few drinks etc.

Quick Reply