The Student Room Group

RMS Titanic - The 100th year Anniversary

Next weekend marks the day the Titanic sunk. It is a tragic story that angers me, so many lives dead or ruined when completely unnecessary. The ship could carry 64 lifeboats and it carried 20. The first lifeboat carried 28 when it had a capacity of 64. Now the Titanic lay 12,600 metres below sea surrounded by the corpses of many looking to find a new life but instead found death.

The BBC are mid-way into a series nicely crafting the event together looking at four different aspects. I'd also urge you to rewatch the Leonardo De Caprio classic film though not focus your emotion on Jack and Rose but on what surrounds them.

This thread will pay tribute to the horrendous event, and also make way of any related discussion.

Rest in Peace victims of Titanic.
Reply 1
It scares me that 100 years on, this happened and that people still died.

Can't imagine what it would have been like to be on the Titanic as it sank.
Reply 2
Original post by Benniboi1
It scares me that 100 years on, this happened and that people still died.

Can't imagine what it would have been like to be on the Titanic as it sank.

Yeah I agree. It looks almost surreal. Especially since it went tail first so they were virtually falling vertical or clinging on. And then feeling the brunt of the ice cold sea, so cold only 6 survived long enough to be saved by the 1/20 unfilled lifeboats that went to help. I rewatched it last night before making this thread, was so heart-breaking.

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
I remember studying the Titanic when I was 10 as a project that I could give to secondary schools if I failed my 11+ (luckily I didn't but was disappointed that I didn't get to show anyone it!) and I threw myself into studying it it was such a moving, human story that should have been avoided.

On a side note, I have just realized that to mark the 100th year anniversary I will be going on a cruise with Cunard/White Star Line.....:s-smilie:

Did you know that some of the original scenes in the 1940s (perhaps 50s I cant remember) film Titanic were from a previous film that was never released for various reasons in Nazi Germany? Goebbles and other Nazis (for obvious and correct reasons) were not credited.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by aefli
I remember studying the Titanic when I was 10 as a project that I could give to secondary schools if I failed my 11+ (luckily I didn't but was disappointed that I didn't get to show anyone it!) and I threw myself into studying it it was such a moving, human story that should have been avoided.

On a side note, I have just realized that to mark the 100th year anniversary I will be going on a cruise with Cunard/White Star Line.....:s-smilie:

Did you know that some of the original scenes in the 1940s (perhaps 50s I cant remember) film Titanic were from a previous film that was never released for various reasons in Nazi Germany? Goebbles and other Nazis (for obvious and correct reasons) were not credited.

Oh wow I never knew that. But I've never seen it, even though the 1997 characters Jack and Rose never existed I just think they tell the story so well :'(

Have you been watching the BBC series? I think it's the third party tonight.
Reply 5
Original post by Miracle Day
Oh wow I never knew that. But I've never seen it, even though the 1997 characters Jack and Rose never existed I just think they tell the story so well :'(

Have you been watching the BBC series? I think it's the third party tonight.

I think part of the success of the film was purely because of Rose/Jack love story. With out it it might have became to documantary-ish.

I watched the first one, I quite enjoyed it and liked the idea of repeating the story to show a different aspect of the Titanic experience. Saying that I will admit that I did spend most of the time wishing that I had those luxurious clothes and hair styles (as I do with all period dramas). However I did prefer Upstairs Downstairs.
Reply 6
Original post by aefli
I think part of the success of the film was purely because of Rose/Jack love story. With out it it might have became to documantary-ish.

I watched the first one, I quite enjoyed it and liked the idea of repeating the story to show a different aspect of the Titanic experience. Saying that I will admit that I did spend most of the time wishing that I had those luxurious clothes and hair styles (as I do with all period dramas). However I did prefer Upstairs Downstairs.

Actually.. I wish we could still wear clothes like that...

They look cooler, even the stuff Jack was wearing.
Reply 7
Actually.. I wish we could still wear clothes like that...

They look cooler, even the stuff Jack was wearing.

Ahah, I agree! So elegant and feminine. Although I do think fashion (regarding women's clothes) went through an awkward stage in 1910 - 1920s. But thats just my opinion. They were still elegant though just not quite as flattering!
Reply 8
3 days until the 100th year Anniversary :frown:
Reply 9
Did you hear about the "remembrance cruise" that is being held to commemorate the voyage? What are your opinions on that?
Reply 10
Original post by aefli
Did you hear about the "remembrance cruise" that is being held to commemorate the voyage? What are your opinions on that?

I wish I could be on it. I hold that event close to my heart, I wish I could go and watch it in the cinema in 3d but I doubt any of my male friends would be interesting in going :frown:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17657740

^ The video of the article of that cruise is on there.
Reply 11
A 100 years ago, the Titanic will currently be on it's voyage
Reply 12
Can you imagine the fear on that ship 100 years ago from now?
Just under an hour until her bow breaks. . .
Next weekend marks the day the Titanic sunk. It is a tragic story that angers me, so many lives dead or ruined when completely unnecessary. The ship could carry 64 lifeboats and it carried 20. The first lifeboat carried 28 when it had a capacity of 64. Now the Titanic lay 12,600 metres below sea surrounded by the corpses of many looking to find a new life but instead found death.

The BBC are mid-way into a series nicely crafting the event together looking at four different aspects. I'd also urge you to rewatch the Leonardo De Caprio classic film though not focus your emotion on Jack and Rose but on what surrounds them.

This thread will pay tribute to the horrendous event, and also make way of any related discussion.
Rest in Peace victims of Titanic.

What's with all this sentimental dribble?

1912 was a long time ago- a time before rescue helicopters, sonar, semi rational evacuation contingency, the oppression of upper class slobbery, any kind of alleviation of lower class suppression, ASDA carrier bags, Justin Bieber, quantum mechanics, liver transplantation, Quentin Tarantino, Quentin Wilson, the electric tooth brush, the discovery of HIV, the denial of HIV, Downfall parodies and Billy Zanes's receding hair line.

Quit your winging and grow a pair.

That is all.
Reply 15
I'm such a Titanic nerd (get it? It's a pun). My dad bought me a book when I was about 10 or 11, and ever since then I've accumulated more books, DVDs, CDs, posters, even puzzles about it.
Reply 16
Has anyone else been following the @titanicrealtime on twitter? truly fascinating! :smile:
Titanic's a reel thing? I thort it was jst a film
Does anyone else find it a bit disrespectful with some of the events marking the anniversary like having the last meal served on board the titanic, or cruises to where it sunk? I just feel that it was such a tragic event, and one that is so hard to even begin to imagine how awful it must have been, and we shouldn't be just making money out of it? In 100 years time, will it be the same for the Twin Towers?
Reply 19
Original post by cl_steele
Has anyone else been following the @titanicrealtime on twitter? truly fascinating! :smile:

Yeah I have :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending