The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

they shouldnt have done that, but give them a break. they havent got anything else to do in their lives, are they? i mean most people with career wouldnt even think about doing these things in public anywhere in the world. they went to dubai because they didnt have anything going for them in the uk in the first place.

many small crimes like this are tolerated in the uk, shouting at someone outside for no reason is technically anti-social behaviour, smoking dope in public as well, having sex in hyde park at night (very common during summer - its technically breaking in if you stay after midnight), but we dont arrest all of them. we only arrest ones that cross the line and pose danger to other people.

edit, she is from croydon for god's sake (whatever god you decide to worship - no offence to anyone). mentalists might say interesting to read that most of these people come from rather small and provincial towns and work in mundane and repetitive jobs. those jobs do not require any specific skills. they are educated but not at university where the gateway newspaper is published. they didnt study economics or any traditional and demanded subjects. they did business studies, arts, physics (occasionally), mathematics, music etc. they didnt graduate top of their class, they did just enough to graduate with 2.1 or equivalent. they typically believe in living for the moment and enjoy life to the fullest (whatever that means). they are a strong believer in national culture as well (hence their love for foreign countries or what they call adventures) although this seems to contradict their behaviour in foreign countries. but they went to foreign countries to realise that they are british. the britishness to them seems doing whatever they feel right in the moment. again no offence to anyone.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by Algorithm69
Meh, the dirty slut broke the law of the land, which she should have known about and adhered to. A country has no obligation to change its laws to accommodate foreigners, tourists, or immigrants. A notion I'd wish the UK would adopt.

The difference being is that when they are broken, you lose your head, feet, hands or suffer the whip.

The arabs have 1 thing going for them in this world and thats oil. Its the only reason we ever tolerated them.
Reply 82
Original post by magicman1
The difference being is that when they are broken, you lose your head, feet, hands or suffer the whip.

The arabs have 1 thing going for them in this world and thats oil. Its the only reason we ever tolerated them.

I hope you're trolling but i fear that you're not.

You're an incredibly stupid person.
Reply 83
I have no sympathy for her. She should have followed the country's laws and customs.
I would :sexface:
We expect people from other countries to follow our laws, so why the hell should we be exempt from laws when we visit other countries?
What a stupid bitch.

I don't agree with their laws, but she surely knew what she was getting into. Surely she'd heard the horror stories of other idiots doing similar stuff?

No sympathy.
Public indecency, that is a cause for arrest. It's probably best to not live or visit a country that you aren't capable of abiding by it's rules. And the UAE is fine with paying for her jail maintenance as well.
Reply 88
Original post by badcheesecrispy
But you are missing the point, which is that they have steaming deals just asking for trouble like £10 drink buffets (if a bar was doing this in the UK there would be outrage, it has happened before), yet drinking and being drunk is illegal!? what average brit isnt going to take advantage of an offer like £10 all you can drink?

Then you have people who are drunk who need to travel safely from these designated drinking areas, which is illegal and carries a fine as you can not be drunk in public! How contradictory is that?

Whats the point in allowing tourists to drink themselves silly if you are going to arrest them when they are blind drunk and go unavoidably into public in order to get back to their home/hotel?

Well then it comes down to the intelligence and responsibility of Brits. I don't drink myself but I know plenty of people that do and who go to clubs and bars and inevitably go home afterwards (many drunk) and none of them ever get sent to prison. Maybe because they don't garner attention to themselves by ****ing in a taxi?

Yes the law may be contradictory but it is the closest attempt to allowing people to do what they enjoy and keeping this away from a part of society that may not enjoy the same activity and so I actually applaud Dubai Gov't for trying to find that balance.

Also remember that whoever made the deal really didn't give a toss about the consequences of such a cheap deal and you can hardly blame the gov't for that.
I think it is really suprising how easy the are on British people. It is difficult to have islamic law and treat us reasonably which I think they manage very well. Three years is actually not as bad as I was expecting when I read the title, I bet islam says she should be punished much worse than that and although I have no idea about the legal system it wouldnt suprise me if an Arab women would get it much worse.
A lot of students seem to have this idea of 'emigrating to the Gulf states' as a kind of paradise with great weather where they will be earning shed loads of money and paying no tax, but the reality of living in an Islamic state is different.
Reply 91
Original post by MagicNMedicine
A lot of students seem to have this idea of 'emigrating to the Gulf states' as a kind of paradise with great weather where they will be earning shed loads of money and paying no tax, but the reality of living in an Islamic state is different.

Well of course it's different. That much could be said of any other state regardless of if it is Islamic or not..

And I think it terms of the United Arab Emirates then no it isn't so different as long as you don't mind drinking in designated places and privately, not doing illegal drugs, not publicly having premarital sex, then your pretty much fine. Is that too much too ask? :s-smilie:
Not been, would never go. Dubai is flacid compared to other Islamic states, yet its laws like this one are outrageous. Foreign tourists should be exempt from these ridiculous laws.

Now, you can say that foreigners who come here must obey our laws yet many don't and continue their illegal cultural practices here, which is then ignored by the police, so why not in Dubai? The place is a hotspot for western tourists, its about time they changed their laws to accommodate so. They, despite being an islamic state sell alcohol to people (at £10 all you can drink?), enough to get them slaughtered (although it is apparently illegal and carries fines) yet woe betide you get seen in public drunk. On the other hand, this woman was careless and Dubai is one of the last places you would engage in this behaviour. Doesnt mean their laws arn't dictatory and ridiculous.

No they shouldnt, Dubais laws are dubais laws. People going out there should be respectful whether they agree with them or not.

It is not Dubais fault that Britain is a whitewash of a country where the second you play the race card everyone bends over backwards to do what they can.
If you're going abroad, you need to obey by their rules.

Decent from the Conor guy getting his hole in a taxi though.
Reply 94
Original post by anaplian
I hope you're trolling but i fear that you're not.

You're an incredibly stupid person.

No, you're the thick **** here son.

Saudi Arabia has strict laws like us but the difference being is that we dont remove limbs, whip women and children and remain in the dark ages.

So have a cup of STFU and get real
no, the driver witnessed and both the man and the woman are denying they had sex. Whos to say driver isnt lying and all they did was kiss, and had alcohol and he didnt like it?

Locked up for a long time for having sex? Grow up.

I'm not saying she should have had sex in this taxi (why again, are you ignoring the man also did this and broke the law?), or was not stupid and behaved idiotically, but honestly, westerners have sex with eachother and get drunk and if Dubai wants their tourism it should accommodate this. I know a few people myself who have passed on going there for a holiday due to their strict rules and people being locked up for kissing their partners.

Ofcourse theyre denying it cause it was a taxi driver that witnessed it .. theyre taking advantage of the situation because it was a taxi driver in a country such as dubai money and power gets you further then others ... & yes even the cop witnessed it.
Reply 96
Original post by Kya
Honour killings?
When did an honour killing happen in the UK that WAS related to regular muslims and not terrorists?

All the time when a seemingly regular family believe that their daughter has dishonoured the family. I suggest you go and research the problem :rolleyes:
Reply 97
This is what I was trying to get at with my first post but apologies I am stoned and it didnt come out as well put as this :smile:

No need to apologise :s-smilie:
But, its not anyone elses business what any person does with their bodily organs. Why is that so hard for so many people to understand?

Fancy changing the law so I can get a blowjob on a train with legal impunity?

I bet they even knew they'd be reported by the Daily Mail if they did this as there is previous with ex-pats having sex in public being reported in that newspaper. May be they'd think twice if Dubai had flogging as punishment instead.
Reply 99
Original post by magicman1
No, you're the thick **** here son.

Saudi Arabia has strict laws like us but the difference being is that we dont remove limbs, whip women and children and remain in the dark ages.

So have a cup of STFU and get real

If your view of the Arab states is that they have 'nothing going for them' then you are indeed, incredibly stupid. Take a second to think a) about the contributions the Arab states have made to the world in general throughout history and b) the contribution they continue to make today; protip, it's large.

Just because a country's laws don't conform to your own personal ideal of 'morality' does not mean they are 'wrong'. Either respect them or simply don't visit.

Oh and i'll add, it's ignorant little ****s like yourself that contribute to Islamaphobia in general.

Latest

Trending

Trending