The Student Room Group

AS OCR History - Churchill 1920-1945 F963/02

Hey,

Is anybody else doing the Churchill exam on Tuesday? I can't find anybody :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, I am! You cant find anyone as think its somthing like 2% of the people who take the OCR sources exam does churchill, all the rest do conditions of england etc!!
YES !!! Anyone have any idea what might come up ? Or even how to revise?!
Reply 3
I have a feeling topic 4 is to come up. I mean there has only ever been 1 out of 9 questions based on international relations. I. AM. FREAKING. OUT.
Original post by Sania95
I have a feeling topic 4 is to come up. I mean there has only ever been 1 out of 9 questions based on international relations. I. AM. FREAKING. OUT.

same :frown: Wait how do you structure the answers to both the 30 mark and the 70 mark?
Reply 5
Original post by mynameisgrace
same :frown: Wait how do you structure the answers to both the 30 mark and the 70 mark?

I do the OPVL thing for the 30 mark question so origin, purpose, value and limitations

Then for the 70 mark question you need to link the sources together but reading through the examiner reports it seems the biggest mistake is people use too much of their own knowledge and don't realise the answer is source led. Just go for the thematic approach it makes it much easier to link and such.

I have never done a history exam in my life so I am literally petrified. LORD HELP US.
Reply 6
Original post by Sania95

I was sort of thinking it will either be Abdication Crisis, Churchill and Stalin or Churchill and De Gaulle but Im not really sure :/
Reply 7
Original post by HallamR
I was sort of thinking it will either be Abdication Crisis, Churchill and Stalin or Churchill and De Gaulle but Im not really sure :/

I'd hate it to be anything to do with Germany and the Generals. I don't think those 3 would be a terrible choice if I'm honest. I just really hope it's not going to be something minor like Oran or the Blitzkrieg.
Reply 8
Original post by Sania95
I'd hate it to be anything to do with Germany and the Generals. I don't think those 3 would be a terrible choice if I'm honest. I just really hope it's not going to be something minor like Oran or the Blitzkrieg.

I don't think it'll be on anything to do with the actual war because it was a war question in January and in June, seems kinda unlikely they'll do it three times in a row, but they could I guess. Im relying more on technique and writing than content really.
Reply 9
Original post by HallamR
I don't think it'll be on anything to do with the actual war because it was a war question in January and in June, seems kinda unlikely they'll do it three times in a row, but they could I guess. Im relying more on technique and writing than content really.

I think that's the best way to go about it really my teacher always stresses that it's source led and own knowledge is basically just for context and interpretations. You don't need to quote facts/dates so that's the plus side of these type of exams! :biggrin:
January was the battle of Dresden so that can't come up again if we're being realistic! :3
Reply 10
Original post by Sania95
I think that's the best way to go about it really my teacher always stresses that it's source led and own knowledge is basically just for context and interpretations. You don't need to quote facts/dates so that's the plus side of these type of exams! :biggrin:
January was the battle of Dresden so that can't come up again if we're being realistic! :3

Oh yeah, that's a shame, I would have quite liked Dresden I think. What topic are you doing for your other history exam?
Reply 11
Original post by HallamR
Oh yeah, that's a shame, I would have quite liked Dresden I think. What topic are you doing for your other history exam?

The Cold War! It makes me want to die but it's pretty interesting. What you doiiing? :3
Also the idea of 2 essays in 1 hour and 30 minutes is so stressful. D:
My teacher thinks it's going to be either to do with the Abdication Crisis or India...
It's my first history exam, I didn't do it at GCSE and I want to do it at uni, so fair to say I'm stressing!
Nice to know other people are doing Churchill, haven't found many other people doing this topic :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by chlodobaggins
My teacher thinks it's going to be either to do with the Abdication Crisis or India...
It's my first history exam, I didn't do it at GCSE and I want to do it at uni, so fair to say I'm stressing!
Nice to know other people are doing Churchill, haven't found many other people doing this topic :smile:

Hey, India has come up before as a question, and Im only guessing but I think since they haven't covered it all yet, they probably won't repeat it, but again they may do because there's only so many sources around.

Oh really, history exams are alright. The source ones I think are a bit easier because there's less pressure on content. I want to do it at uni too!

I think so far the A boundary for churchill has been around 72 as an average, which isn't too bad (:
Reply 14
Original post by Sania95
The Cold War! It makes me want to die but it's pretty interesting. What you doiiing? :3
Also the idea of 2 essays in 1 hour and 30 minutes is so stressful. D:

Haha, yeah that doesn't sound too bad, links in with this topic a bit doesn't it? Potsdam and what not. We're doing Russia from 1874 to 1940, which is actually really interesting but Im the same, 2 essays that rely on content is pretty stressful.
Original post by HallamR
Hey, India has come up before as a question, and Im only guessing but I think since they haven't covered it all yet, they probably won't repeat it, but again they may do because there's only so many sources around.

Oh really, history exams are alright. The source ones I think are a bit easier because there's less pressure on content. I want to do it at uni too!

I think so far the A boundary for churchill has been around 72 as an average, which isn't too bad (:

Ahh okay then, I wouldn't mind abdication to be fair.
I guess so, you have to remember less content than in the other history exam, where are you thinking of doing it for uni? :biggrin:
Sounds do-able... good luck to you tomorrow, by the way (if you are taking it tomorrow, which I'm guessing you are?) :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by HallamR
Haha, yeah that doesn't sound too bad, links in with this topic a bit doesn't it? Potsdam and what not. We're doing Russia from 1874 to 1940, which is actually really interesting but Im the same, 2 essays that rely on content is pretty stressful.

YES! That's why I'm kinda hoping it's either topic 1 or topic 4. :3
The worst thing about the Russian modules is the stupid names and learning to spell them. D: For the essay part the grade boundaries are around 72 or something as well so it's not terrible as long as you can include what you need and stuff! :3
Reply 17
Original post by chlodobaggins
Ahh okay then, I wouldn't mind abdication to be fair.
I guess so, you have to remember less content than in the other history exam, where are you thinking of doing it for uni? :biggrin:
Sounds do-able... good luck to you tomorrow, by the way (if you are taking it tomorrow, which I'm guessing you are?) :smile:

Im looking at Bristol mainly, but also considering places like Southampton and Portsmouth as well as York. How about you?Yeah I have it tomorrow morning, at nine. Thanks, you too! I'll let you know how it went after :P
Reply 18
Original post by Sania95
YES! That's why I'm kinda hoping it's either topic 1 or topic 4. :3
The worst thing about the Russian modules is the stupid names and learning to spell them. D: For the essay part the grade boundaries are around 72 or something as well so it's not terrible as long as you can include what you need and stuff! :3

Yeah some of the names are ridiculous. 72 is not too bad really, like 36/50 an essay. I found the examiner's reports are really useful for that exam.
Original post by HallamR
Im looking at Bristol mainly, but also considering places like Southampton and Portsmouth as well as York. How about you?Yeah I have it tomorrow morning, at nine. Thanks, you too! I'll let you know how it went after :P

Thinking about Liverpool mainly but also liking the look of Newcastle, Nottingham and Manchester :smile:
I'll let you know too!

Quick Reply

Latest