The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laura_802
Thank you :smile: Eughhhh I hate poetry so much, never studying it again. The 100% was in Latin.

Has anyone here managed to gain a vacation scheme with a city firm with 2.2's in a couple of modules?

Also, do any of you more experienced applicants know if any firms just ask for your overall grade? Or do you have to declare your modular marks on all application forms? When I did a workshop with Eversheds, the recruitment partner said they only ask for overall grades, so I'm wondering how common this is.

Just to let you know that some firms are more lenient than others about the odd 2:2 although if you're getting a majority of 2:2s and a high 2:1 which pulls the average up to an overall 2:1 then it's not promising. I know S+S Clifford Chance don't specify a 2:1 and above in every module, but an overall 2:1 is needed.

Some firms e.g. Bakers and Slaughters require a 2:1 and above in every module resulting in an overall high 2:1.
Original post by trollman
Yes, they were a bit scary.

Yeah I saw that guy, bit weird really tbh.

It wasn't you was it? No offence if it was! Maybe some more information to identify yourself? :tongue: edit - I didn't meet anyone from York University.

I enjoyed the negotiation competition and the people on both sides were nice, although one girl on mine was very dominating and not really playing as a team, but you just grit your teeth and bear it.

**FAO previous applicants** Any advice on how to handle people who try to dominate on open days and assessment centres? Or those who are subtle at doing it? It's irritating as hell!

I was also surprised at the sheer number of trainees from the same universties, and the attendees also seemed to be from the same universities (Bristol being the worst offender)- meaning they were able to talk to eachother about which university they went to, did so and so teach you har har etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
What exactly did 'negotiation' involve?

If your application is accepted by firms - do they generally just interview you and that's it, or is there distinct stages? Friday night, and i'm in researching this stuff... jesus.

Final question - i'm sourced a few local mid size firms who do 1 week work experience programmes. Can anyone point me in the direction of what a CV for such a role should look like. The only CVs I've ever done have been for bar work and shop assistant stuff and I am a bit clueless otherwise. Thanks
Original post by chriswalker
What exactly did 'negotiation' involve?

If your application is accepted by firms - do they generally just interview you and that's it, or is there distinct stages? Friday night, and i'm in researching this stuff... jesus.

Final question - i'm sourced a few local mid size firms who do 1 week work experience programmes. Can anyone point me in the direction of what a CV for such a role should look like. The only CVs I've ever done have been for bar work and shop assistant stuff and I am a bit clueless otherwise. Thanks

Negotiation is a mock up of two firms representing clients meeting in a negotiation room to discuss issues with the proposed deal. Get onto open days to try them out.

The process is usually: online application -> psychometric testing (online) -> invitation to assessment centre for the day -> offer of a vac scheme

Try browsing the firm websites for an idea of what the assessment days involve, or use the search function on this website, as it saves long standing members regurgitating information that is readily available which can be frustrating.

As for your CV, they should look professional and tailored towards a professional career. Go to the CV help section of this website for more information, but general things to include would be:

(i) Contact details, date of birth, nationality etc
(ii) A 'Mission Statement' on your objectives
(iii) Academics and academic institutions
(iv) Work experience/university experiences
(v) Hobbies and interests

You should also type up a cover letter tailored to the local firm and send it with your CV, as it targets the firm, rather than using generic information on your CV.
Reply 64
I got my results today and got 65% overall :smile: However, I got 2.2's in two of my modules. Do you think it is still worth me applying to city firms for vs's?

My module grades were 67,65,65,62,50 (20 credit modules) 100, 57 (10 credit modules).

I got 58, 60, 62, 62, 63 and 67. Same uni funnily enough, half the same course.. hoping that they're just about good enough to not restrict where I apply but I guess I'll find out in a few months!
Original post by Sam o0o
I got 58, 60, 62, 62, 63 and 67. Same uni funnily enough, half the same course.. hoping that they're just about good enough to not restrict where I apply but I guess I'll find out in a few months!

Congrats!!! Your grades are a lot more consistent that mine. Its the inconsistency in my grades that I'm a bit worried about. :frown:

Just out of interest, what sort of ex currs have you been involved in in uni this year?

I think I've got fairly strong ex currs at the moment, but I'm looking to develop them a bit more next year. I'm a bit worried about fitting it all in around the 2nd year work load though.

What modules have you chosed for 2nd year?
(edited 12 years ago)
Also, I've decided I am going to email the recruiment partner at Eversheds and ask his opinion of 2.2's in modules. At least then we will have some definitive answers, instead of just stressing and speculating amongst ourselves. lol I'll let you all know what he says :smile: xxx
Reply 67
Original post by marrythenight

Some firms e.g. Bakers and Slaughters require a 2:1 and above in every module resulting in an overall high 2:1.

For vacation schemes? I can personally guarantee you that this is not the case.
Reply 68
Original post by hmaus
Yeah I don't think Slaughters have rigid rules on 2:2s. They are very interested in academics and they want good grades but they look at the overall picture. I had a 59 which they did ask me about at interview but they didn't seem that bothered. If they had wanted to give me the TC then that mark would not have stopped them! I have seen Bakers rejection emails that people have posted with the comment about all modules being over 60 though but again it is probably not set in stone.

I got an offer for Bakers with a 2.2 in one of my modules and a low 2.1 average in first year. Similarly, a close friend got one from Slaughters with a 2.2, so as you say it counts against you but doesn't automatically stop you from succeeding. My friend and I both go to a top, top university though, so maybe that helped?
Original post by Bob Loblaw
I got an offer for Bakers with a 2.2 in one of my modules and a low 2.1 average in first year. Similarly, a close friend got one from Slaughters with a 2.2, so as you say it counts against you but doesn't automatically stop you from succeeding. My friend and I both go to a top, top university though, so maybe that helped?

Are you talking about TC or VS, just to clarify.
Reply 70
VS
For vacation schemes? I can personally guarantee you that this is not the case.

The grad recruiters at both firms said this... A 2:1 and above in every module...
Reply 72
The grad recruiters at both firms said this... A 2:1 and above in every module...

Would a photo of my B&M offer letter and my first year results side-by-side prove otherwise? :wink:
Reply 73
Congrats!!! Your grades are a lot more consistent that mine. Its the inconsistency in my grades that I'm a bit worried about. :frown:

Just out of interest, what sort of ex currs have you been involved in in uni this year?

I think I've got fairly strong ex currs at the moment, but I'm looking to develop them a bit more next year. I'm a bit worried about fitting it all in around the 2nd year work load though.

What modules have you chosed for 2nd year?

I wouldn't worry, it's still a really good average overall! Anyway I'll give you a message in a bit or something, I'm sure not many people reading this care about our uni lives haha.
Would a photo of my B&M offer letter and my first year results side-by-side prove otherwise? :wink:

But what was your 2:2? Was it something like 59/58? I remember them saying if the majority are very strong, one module at 58/59 is probably going to be fine as long as it's not contract or tort?

Congratulations by the way, it is a fantastic firm! :biggrin:
Reply 75
But what was your 2:2? Was it something like 59/58? I remember them saying if the majority are very strong, one module at 58/59 is probably going to be fine as long as it's not contract or tort?

Congratulations by the way, it is a fantastic firm! :biggrin:

Thanks :smile: My 2.2 module was 56, so not exactly borderline, and the other two weren't 'very strong' by any stretch. I think it counted against me, but every other part of my application was strong and I managed to (semi-)justify the mark in the interview, which helped in part negate it. Non-law as well, so I guess it's less significant than getting a 2.2 in a module which may directly affect one's work at a law firm!
Is that confirmed then about the 2:1s in contract/tort for a vac scheme at Baker Mckenzie, I was looking through their brochure and couldn't find anything detailing that.
What uni are you at bob?
Reply 78
Original post by Krishna442
Is that confirmed then about the 2:1s in contract/tort for a vac scheme at Baker Mckenzie, I was looking through their brochure and couldn't find anything detailing that.

Can't confirm in the case of getting a 2.2 in law modules, but in non-law it doesn't seem to sound the death knell or anything like that.
Reply 79

I have friends who got VS's with 2.2's at MC and SC firms, so, although it isn't exactly common, it definitely does happen.

Also, I hope you won't mind me giving you a piece of advice. I think that, as a first year who is about to start applying for VS's, you should listen to the advice you're given a bit more and argue against it a little bit less.

You clearly have very strong opinions, as displayed in your other threads (I am thinking specifically of the one where you've started a debate on whether it is harder to get a VS as a law student) but some of the statements you make are a little silly and very badly thought through. As such, given the careeer path which you hope to pursue, I think you need to think a bit more before you say/write something for the rest to consider/read. For your own benefit, I genuinely hope you do not behave like that in your interviews.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending