The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Domo-Kun
I have measly score of 17... think I would have a chance?

And is the scoring system still in use? Its not on the Selection Criteria thing on the website.

No, you don't have a chance I'm sorry, don't waste the application on them.
Reply 101
Original post by tania<3
I'm definitely gonna apply :smile: got 6A*s 3A*s so my score should be ok? A*s included all the mathsy, sciency, english subjects :smile:

Take it you mean 3As :smile:
Original post by Kidneyjean
No problem! Yeah, it's great :smile: And the university isn't too far away from the center either... where else are you applying?

lol, you may not wanna know but Oxford, Imperial and kings and cardiff 4th :tongue:

Aiming pretty high.

How about yourself? :smile:
Original post by Domo-Kun
I have measly score of 17... think I would have a chance?

And is the scoring system still in use? Its not on the Selection Criteria thing on the website.

There's no harm in trying, I mean, I'm not the admission's tutor and most of what I know is from work experience in cardiff and open days here :smile:
Reply 104
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
lol, you may not wanna know but Oxford, Imperial and kings and cardiff 4th :tongue:

Aiming pretty high.

How about yourself? :smile:

Nah, it's interesting finding out what combinations of places everyone else picked!

I'm going for BSMS, Bristol, Cardiff and Nottingham (basically places that still do full-body dissection :rolleyes:) Plus I really liked the look of the integrated courses.
Reply 105
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
There's no harm in trying, I mean, I'm not the admission's tutor and most of what I know is from work experience in cardiff and open days here :smile:

Why bother posting this! It get's me when people just willy nilly hand out comments like this, yes, it may seem harsh for me to say they will 100% without a doubt get a rejection with that score, but it's the truth, and at the end of the day saves them a rejection so they can apply somewhere else and get an offer.
Reply 106
Everyone should know that if you score >26/27 you (last year would) go straight to interview with out them scoring your personal statement. It's good, I suppose, if you have the grades. I don't score that :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Seb
Everyone should know that if you score >26/29 you (last year would) go straight to interview with out them scoring your personal statement. It's good, I suppose, if you have the grades. I don't score that :frown:

How come some people are saying it is out of 27? Where did you hear that from?
Reply 108
Original post by themedicalgeek
How come some people are saying it is out of 27? Where did you hear that from?

because I am retarded and I keep thinking 3*9 = 29. I will change it lol I'm going to be a great doctor :colone:
Do they add anything on to your score apart from GCSE.

Because in the email i got, I was told that 25 points was their cut off but then they said that was usually 4-5A*, confused !
Reply 110
Original post by Sergio Kun Aguero
Do they add anything on to your score apart from GCSE.

Because in the email i got, I was told that 25 points was their cut off but then they said that was usually 4-5A*, confused !

GCSEs form the ONLY part of the ACADEMIC side of the selection procedure. The cut-off was 23 for 2011 entry, I had 24, so I can't see the cut-off being 25, 24 at the most but don't apply with anything less than 24.
Reply 111
Please, need some help!!!
GCSEs: 9 A*'s

AS grades:
Biology C
Chemistry B
Maths A
Psychology A

Predicted A* AAA
UKCAT 610

Do I have a chance at medicine????
Hoping to apply:
Keele, Peninsula, KCL, Leeds.. I'm not too sure still!! :'(
Please any help!

Thank you !!!
xx
Reply 112
Hey all,
My GCSE results are 5A* and 4A's..thing is my A's are in all three sciences..buut not in maths and english
though I do have an A* in English literature..does that count?
And my A level grades are AAAc
with a ukcat of 685...do I stand a chance? and what is my score likely to be?
Original post by Elwyn
Take it you mean 3As :smile:

Yep definitely meant 6A*s 3As lol sorry! :tongue:
Original post by Elwyn
GCSEs form the ONLY part of the ACADEMIC side of the selection procedure. The cut-off was 23 for 2011 entry, I had 24, so I can't see the cut-off being 25, 24 at the most but don't apply with anything less than 24.

You say only but what if you already have your A-level grades? (if you know)

Doesn't matter, I'll just assume it helps in someway lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 115
Original post by Nash24
Hey all,
My GCSE results are 5A* and 4A's..thing is my A's are in all three sciences..buut not in maths and english
though I do have an A* in English literature..does that count?
And my A level grades are AAAc
with a ukcat of 685...do I stand a chance? and what is my score likely to be?

You have a score of 23/27, but because you already have and meet their A level requirements they can add up to 4 points to score so that you meet the threshold :smile:
Iim applying!! Just sent my UCAS form off.......scary stuff :eek:
Reply 117
Acknowledged :smile:
Reply 118
I r applied here!
Original post by Elwyn
Why bother posting this! It get's me when people just willy nilly hand out comments like this, yes, it may seem harsh for me to say they will 100% without a doubt get a rejection with that score, but it's the truth, and at the end of the day saves them a rejection so they can apply somewhere else and get an offer.

Yeah, you're right, sorry.

Quick Reply