The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Just made St George's my firm! Woooo! Has anyone else? xx :smile:
Reply 1581
Original post by hello123450
ahhhhhhh ive just firmed Liverpool and City as insurance! now im struggling on what accomodation to apply for!

but, im wondering, if something came up and i changed my mind, and got BBB, in Aug would i be able to decline liverpool (asking for BCC) and get a place at my insurance insteaD?

Nope. Once you've firmed an offer you're technically legally obliged to take up that place if you've achieved their entry requirement. You wouldn't be able to reject that place and take up your insurance offer instead, as the University would not relinquish your offer, which is required for you to accept your insurance offer. The reason being is that the place you've requested could have been filled by another able candidate; however, at such a late stage in the cycle, the university would have to enter clearing and would not necessarily get the calibre of applicant that they were looking for originally, which isn't really fair for them. There's also the risk that your place remains unfilled after clearing and they lose the funding for the place, which is something they'd like to avoid -this tends to be the reason for less oversubscribed courses, unlike Radiography.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1582
Spoke to hallam earlier and they said they dint have any places through clearing last year as it is such a high demand course, fingers crossed ill be in more luck next year :smile: would anyone suggest cancelling my ucas app now or leaving it just incase? x
Original post by Mel27x
Spoke to hallam earlier and they said they dint have any places through clearing last year as it is such a high demand course, fingers crossed ill be in more luck next year :smile: would anyone suggest cancelling my ucas app now or leaving it just incase? x

I wouldn't cancel your app, just be patient and see what happens in the coming months. You'd be gutted if you cancelled it and then the opportunity to go this year came up
Reply 1584
has anyone else firmed cumbria?
Reply 1585
Original post by Mel27x
could do with abit of advise please :smile: i have found this distance learning course online, by the looks of things i will be waiting a year for uni do you think it would be a good idea to complete this year course? its anatomy and physiology diploma ill add the link for anyone with any advise :smile: thank you x

http://shop.oxfordcollege.ac/level-3-diploma-courses-level-3-diploma-in-anatomy-physiology-p-339.html

Hi Mel

I'm doing a level 4 in the same thing in that, I know for a fact it's helped me secure my place an it obv shows ur commitment. I wud strongly urge u to do level 4, it honestly not that hard at all, very straight forward an the final assessment (which is the only assessment that actually counts towards ur grade) is an open book do in ur own time thing so u can't possibly fail unless u have a plank of wood lodged in ur brain.
Reply 1586
Original post by MiteshG
Hi Mel

I'm doing a level 4 in the same thing in that, I know for a fact it's helped me secure my place an it obv shows ur commitment. I wud strongly urge u to do level 4, it honestly not that hard at all, very straight forward an the final assessment (which is the only assessment that actually counts towards ur grade) is an open book do in ur own time thing so u can't possibly fail unless u have a plank of wood lodged in ur brain.

Haha i hope a plank of wood never gets lodged then :P do you know the website of the Level 4 course you did please?

Thank you :smile: x
Reply 1587
Original post by zoe1992
I was looking at Opal 1 but thought it was too expensive and would prefer City South because it's on campus so don't have to travel far to lectures and would be living with other health students. I emailed the accommodation services and it seems Westmount on the City South campus has a bath as well as the 2 showers in each flat and also has an extra toilet so will probably put Westmount as my first choice.

How much more is opal one though? is it like £20 per week? Im just worried about sharing a bathroom with untidy people
Reply 1588
Original post by Mel27x
yeh sounds a good plan doesnt it, i sent my app in november this year and did it through college and the infomation we was given for personal statements was totally off what the unis want, i feel abit cheated by my college as they didnt give me the right info for a strong PS. Where else have u had interviews? i dint even have one this year ive had a crap application experience haha! xx

so what were you told by your college, and how do you/they know what the Unis want? i got no guidance from my college, i just wrote what i though a prospective employer might want to hear, and kept it very focused on me and my plans/goals

so my PS was very short. i just pointed out the skills i have acquired over my life that might be transferable to a career in radiography, and a short bit about how i first became aware of radiography. Work experience wise, I had spent one day in an outpatients dept and saw about 10 hip replacement patients, so had nothing to wow them with there

By ticking boxes you arent giving a personal side to your statement and I think, this is what Unis want.

I would have thought the skills you have acquired at Asda would have been really good to work into your PS. I take it you have been off work for 7m so you could concentrate on your studies?

B
Reply 1589
Original post by berlingo
so what were you told by your college, and how do you/they know what the Unis want? i got no guidance from my college, i just wrote what i though a prospective employer might want to hear, and kept it very focused on me and my plans/goals

so my PS was very short. i just pointed out the skills i have acquired over my life that might be transferable to a career in radiography, and a short bit about how i first became aware of radiography. Work experience wise, I had spent one day in an outpatients dept and saw about 10 hip replacement patients, so had nothing to wow them with there

By ticking boxes you arent giving a personal side to your statement and I think, this is what Unis want.

I would have thought the skills you have acquired at Asda would have been really good to work into your PS. I take it you have been off work for 7m so you could concentrate on your studies?

B

The woman who helped us with our PS is crazy haha! sounds so harsh but she is, she was taking everything out of my PS to do with radiography n said to mention college n what topics i like the most n said to say how working for 4 years has given me skills but she never said to apply it to the role of a radiographer she not jst made my PS crap, about 5 people in my class have all been declined due to PS :frown: i feel like weve all had a crap insight to what unis prefer within a PS, ive already made a new one for next year, it will need tweeking but already I can see how i didnt get in this year cos the new one is all radiography based and applying wt skills i have now to tht of a radiographer, i also mention alot more about my work experience whereas before she just said to say what u had dun n the departments i had seen.

I have been off work 7m due to an operation I had to have and the consultant was stirct and did not want me to work untill 3 months had past after the op.

Have you firmed your unis now? which ones have u picked and are u a mature student? Im 21 and im not sure if im boarderline mature student or what! haha x
Reply 1590
Original post by Mel27x
Haha i hope a plank of wood never gets lodged then :P do you know the website of the Level 4 course you did please?

I'm doing it thru open college uk, it's same as stone bridge website u may have come across on google. Link is below

http://www.ukopencollege.co.uk/anatomy-physiology-course-level-4-p-287.html
Reply 1591
Original post by MiteshG
I'm doing it thru open college uk, it's same as stone bridge website u may have come across on google. Link is below

Brilliant Thank you so much :biggrin: x
Reply 1592
Original post by MiteshG

That's really interesting, Thankyou.
Do you really think it helps for getting into uni? X
Original post by lara_uk
Hey, well done! I don't think they want me as I still haven't heard back-looks like I am going to have to spend a lot of time on improving my PS and apply next year.

When's your interview? X

Ah thankyou, i'm so happy :smile:
Don't worry, when I rang them they said that they were slow with applications and that they would HAVE to reply back before 1st May to all those applicants that applied before the deadline. So dont worry, I'm sure its on its way to you :smile:
Original post by lara_uk
Hey, well done! I don't think they want me as I still haven't heard back-looks like I am going to have to spend a lot of time on improving my PS and apply next year.

When's your interview? X

Oh and sorry I didn't reply to your question, my interview is on the 18th of April.
Reply 1595
Original post by J3551CA
How much more is opal one though? is it like £20 per week? Im just worried about sharing a bathroom with untidy people

Hiya, well City South has 3 halls Calthorpe £80 per week and Westmount and Oakmount both £95 per week. On the online application form you can't choose though you just put City South as the accommodation, although I realise in the additional info section I could have asked specifically for Westmount. I think Opal 1 is £113 per week so it's £18 - £35 more per week depending on how you look at it. I'm not as apprehensive about not living on suite now though as surely most students at City South are health students so are more likely to be hygenic/tidy?
Reply 1596
Original post by zoe1992
surely most students at City South are health students so are more likely to be hygenic/tidy?

Never assume personal habits align with professional standards :tongue:
Original post by faylove
I have applied for the uni accommodation and still waiting to hear from them.... Have u received te link to apply for Nhs bursary yet?

Still waiting to hear from the NHS about applying for the bursary and Teesside about references etc, getting restless waiting though now! You not heard anything either?
Reply 1598
Original post by miss-pink09
Oh and sorry I didn't reply to your question, my interview is on the 18th of April.

Thanks hun, fingers crossed that they get back to me.

Lots of good luck for your interview, that is great that you have a good two weeks to be ready for it aswell.

Please let us know how you get on xx
Reply 1599
Original post by Mel27x

I thought you were a full on plank, never mind having one on your bonce. :tongue:

Latest