The Student Room Group

Do we need to learn all the poems?

Hi guys. So I'm pretty good at english (got an A* in my mocks) but I'm flicking through my anthology (we're doing the 'conflict' section at my school) and there are an awful lot in this section.

Do we need to know about ever single one? I know about about half in depth and a fifth more reasonably well.

Any information would be appreciated :smile:

Thanks,

Shiv
Hi, I did the AQA anthology poems last year (in year 10), but I did it on 'Relationships'. But, sadly I'm not as good as you (only got an A :redface:).
I learnt all the poems in reasonable depth, yet I still retained most of it. If you got an A* in the mock, then what you're doing is right. I just checked my old anthology and there is just about the same amount of poems between 'Conflict' and 'Relationships'.
Also, I thought you would know but you get a CLEAN copy of the anthology when you go into the exam, so as long as you remember your notes, I think you'll get an A*. Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Great thanks mate :biggrin: Guess I'll just go through as many as possible then!

But my teacher only went through a handful with us, does that mean we have to make notes ourselves on the rest of them?

And in your exam was the question along the lines of: "Compare the way in which [poem A] and one other poem do something?"
Reply 3
You might be able to get away with not learning poems that have been named on past papers.
Ive got this tomorrow, im not great at english, im hoping ill get an A :wink:
Original post by Shivvers
Great thanks mate :biggrin: Guess I'll just go through as many as possible then!

But my teacher only went through a handful with us, does that mean we have to make notes ourselves on the rest of them?

And in your exam was the question along the lines of: "Compare the way in which [poem A] and one other poem do something?"

Yes, our teacher went through everything, if yours has not, then you may have to have a quick read over them, just to know the general basis of it. Yes, the question on my exam was comparing a selected poem and then using another of your choice based on a theme. Also, we had the unknown poem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending