The Student Room Group

What's wrong with gypsies?

I'm just curious as to why some people have an overwhelming hate for gypsies?

So thoughts and opinions welcomed.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
not sure?.....
I don't actually know. :s-smilie: I personally have no problem with them. Opinions I have heard at school was basically "they're thieves, have no morals etc".
It's probably more the "breaking into parks and leaving their rubbish everywhere making for what once was a fairly decent park a now hostile environment the whole time they're there", to be honest.
At least that's what certain groups of gypsies than swing through our area have done in the past. Some aren't too bad (they tidy up after themselves and don't inhabit childrens' playgrounds, unlike the others).
All I know is that when I was little and would misbehave, my Mother would say “That’s it, I’m selling you to the gypsies”. :wink:
Reply 5
To be honest I'm just curious about them - having lived my 18yrs without meeting/seeing any

No hate bro :smile:
Reply 6
In my opinion they have been made to look bad by individual acts. That programme didn't do them any favours either, did you see the way they were allowed to drag the women around? Also, fighting in the streets to solve feuds.

I respect that they have a different lifestyle, but surely they should abide by the same laws as everybody else.

Have you ever met one? They can be very violent and intimidating.
Reply 7
I don't personally have any problem with them. However, there were a group of Gypsies who would every year break into a park opposite my Grandma's and leave it in an unbelievable state.
That's not to say they're all like that though. :dontknow:
To be fair, another word for gypsies could be "uber-chav". They're responsible for a large amount of crime/violence.

I've never talked to one my self, so I've got no personal grudge... they're just got a (well-earned) reputation for breaking the law and generally being a massive pain.
Reply 9
I think its their habit of dragging property prices down in areas they settle in that annoys most people.
Original post by Ears
In my opinion they have been made to look bad by individual acts. That programme didn't do them any favours either, did you see the way they were allowed to drag the women around? Also, fighting in the streets to solve feuds.

I respect that they have a different lifestyle, but surely they should abide by the same laws as everybody else.

Have you ever met one? They can be very violent and intimidating.

Yeah I knew one personally when I was little, primary school. She was really lovely and polite. Her family would go up to ireland pretty frequently for weddings which the school didn't like. But gypsies are known for their family bonds.

However the same as I wouldn't say that all gypsies are thieving it would be naive of me to think that all gypsies are as lovely as the one I knew.
Large groups of people coming to areas, destroying them with their rubbish whilst being rude/offensive/abusive toward the local community.
Reply 12
Vermin?????????? Are you implying that Gypsies are Vermin? If so that is an incredibly ignorant and immature statement to make.

There is nothing wrong with Gypsies, would it be o.k to say that there is something wrong with black people or Asians or Muslims? Of course not!

There are lots of bad associations that people have with Gypsies in response to their different way of life and there are some Gypsies who create a bad name for the rest. But if everybody was judged according to the very worst people in their community wouldn't we all come off as thieves, criminals and general low life's?

There is nothing wrong with Gypsies, there is however something very wrong with anyone who thinks that there is.
Maybe because they wear small hats?
Original post by karateworm
To be fair, another word for gypsies could be "uber-chav". They're responsible for a large amount of crime/violence.

I've never talked to one my self, so I've got no personal grudge... they're just got a (well-earned) reputation for breaking the law and generally being a massive pain.

After watching a programme about them..i agree with this.
Reply 15
I don't think many people at all have a problem with them per se (that would just be bigoted), but they dislike the massive amounts of crime and violence perpetrated by a considerable number (though not all of course) of Roma-gypsies in Europe and their complete disregard of the laws of the land etc.
Original post by Life_peer
Maybe because they wear small hats?

This made me laugh for some strange reason.
:giggle:
Because I am jealous of the fact that they are classier than me.
Reply 18
If I could hate gypsies, I really would. But I know not all of them are completely useless runts who need to stop trying to do whatever they want. Just most of them.

My parents build and sell houses, several times we've bought a new plot, at some point or another gypsies park their caravans and mess up the plot. With litter, faeces and even dead animals once. It's disgusting. When we try to tell them to move, they kept going on about it being "free land" even though we had legal rights over the plots and they were trespassing. One of them threw a boiling kettle at my Dad which just missed him but still caught his arm a bit. The police came several times to try and get them to move, but it usually took them around 2 weeks to do so and at that point was costing my parents thousands to not only clean up the mess they made but also in one case to repair part of our house they damaged. It's ****ing disgraceful.

One time a group of them parked on my old secondary schools field and refused to move. A school field for christ sake. Eventually my Maths teacher had to get in his land rover and chase them off. Which was admittedly hilarious, but they also wrecked our school field with litter, faeces and driving up and down the field in their cars and vans. They even let out a poor dog which must have been abused as one of them kicked it out their caravan and was walking with a limp. Can't really remember what happened to it, one of the school teachers I think took him inside and probably took him to a vet.

All in all, they can leave and the country would be better without them.
After watching that programme, I find it wrong how they allow their kids to slap on all that makeup, wear the skimpiest skirts and tops, and dutty wine with one another; they're walking paedophile attractions.

Quick Reply

Latest