The Student Room Group

What type of condoms should I buy?

I have never bought condoms before and there are so many varieties that I don't know where to start. I don't know what size, thickness, latex, non-latex ... Absolutely no idea. :frown:

What type/brand should a 'beginner' buy? I am quite nervous about buying them. Could I pay for them at self-scan in Boots? Or would I get ID'd? :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Anyone? I might buy some tomorrow.
Original post by Anonymous
I have never bought condoms before and there are so many varieties that I don't know where to start. I don't know what size, thickness, latex, non-latex ... Absolutely no idea. :frown:

What type/brand should a 'beginner' buy? I am quite nervous about buying them. Could I pay for them at self-scan in Boots? Or would I get ID'd? :s-smilie:

Not if you're old enough to be using them :tongue: just avoid anything fancy like ribbed etc, go for the blue durex ones, or the red ones if you find the blue ones numb the feeling.

Don't know how obvious this is, but never buy from a machine in public toilet, it's three times cheaper buying in bulk in wilkinsons
Reply 3
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
Not if you're old enough to be using them :tongue: just avoid anything fancy like ribbed etc, go for the blue durex ones, or the red ones if you find the blue ones numb the feeling.

Don't know how obvious this is, but never buy from a machine in public toilet, it's three times cheaper buying in bulk in wilkinsons

Thanks man. Should I get 'extra safe' ones or anything? :s-smilie: And do I need to buy morning-after pills as well? :colondollar:

I'm a girl, should have made that clearer. :redface:
Thanks man. Should I get 'extra safe' ones or anything? :s-smilie: And do I need to buy morning-after pills as well? :colondollar:

I'm a girl, should have made that clearer. :redface:

Blue is extra safe :wink: they'll be less sensitive than the red ones though, I'd have recommended them if you were a guy about to lose his virginity. If the guy you're using them with isn't this, ask him his preference?

No need to buy the morning after pill until the morning after if it ever goes wrong. And I think it may be expensive too, no need to get it just in case
Reply 5
Nooo don't stock up on the morning after pill - it is NOT a form of contraception and should only be used in emergencies.

Go and get yourself on the pill. All you have to do is book an appointment with your nurse, they take your blood pressure, and done, you're protected
Reply 6
Blue is extra safe :wink: they'll be less sensitive than the red ones though, I'd have recommended them if you were a guy about to lose his virginity. If the guy you're using them with isn't this, ask him his preference?

No need to buy the morning after pill until the morning after if it ever goes wrong. And I think it may be expensive too, no need to get it just in case

I agree, get the blue ones! Especially if its your first time, you wan't to feel as secure as possible.

Similarly, if you were to need a morning after pill its around £25 from a shop, however if you go to the doctors its not only free, but they can advise you on alternative contraception :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Smem
Nooo don't stock up on the morning after pill - it is NOT a form of contraception and should only be used in emergencies.

Go and get yourself on the pill. All you have to do is book an appointment with your nurse, they take your blood pressure, and done, you're protected

Would the pill not mess up my menstrual cycle/make me gain weight/increase the size of my breasts? I'm very wary about all that. Or are some of those just rumours? :redface:
Reply 8
Would the pill not mess up my menstrual cycle/make me gain weight/increase the size of my breasts? I'm very wary about all that. Or are some of those just rumours? :redface:

It can do, but everyone is affected differently. They have to warn you of those things happening because with some people it does, and others it doesn't.
You might react totally differently to the pill than a friend for example. There's not much you can know until you try. The pill isn't your only option of course. All contraception are bound to have side affects, it just depends what you want from your choice of contraception.
Reply 9
you cant get ID'd for condoms as you can buy them at any age.
get a c card for free and imo better condoms :smile:
Reply 10
If its your first time buying them it can be as confusing as hell as there are so many type, personally I would say just buy a variety pack and its luck of the draw when you come to use them, plus its a great way to find which type you prefer without having to buy a pack of each
Reply 11
I wouldnt get the extra safe ones. Theyre okay, but theyr thicker, and the lube on them is a little odd (its quite thick)
Flavoured ones are pretty pointless too unless youre planning on doing Oral with a condom on.... Anything else really, just make sure its a good quality condom, so Durex or Mates or anything with the kitemark on them. :smile:

No try not to read reviews online and things like that - generally people go online to write bad reviews.

On the pill:
Menstrual cycle: you will know EXACTLY when you're going to have a period (which is great if you are anything like me - I never knew when mine were guna pop up!). You can even skip periods on the pill by running packs back to back (and it is perfectly safe to do this). The pill will also usually make your periods shorter, lighter and unpainful.

Breasts: some girls report their breast size increased, though this isn't especially common. My breasts didn't change at all.

Weight: the pill doesn't make you gain weight. It can make you more hungry (which can lead to weight gain if you don't watch what you eat) but its simple - eat a healthy balanced diet and you'll be fine.

There are whole lists of symptoms the pill can give you but the vast majority of women are fine on it and there are many you can try out so you can find the right one for you :smile:

Relying on the morning after pill if anything goes wrong is just not the way to go. Get yourself fully protected. Don't forget there are other forms of hormonal contraception such as the patch, coil, injection est.

Book an appointment with your nurse and have a chat :smile: they'll be happy to address all your concerns and explore what is right for you
Reply 13
Original post by mangoh
u know how to put "...", I didn't kind of get why, can oral with a condom on break it?

No, its just that it stops most of the good sensations that the guy will get from it.
avoid anything fancy like ribbed etc,

ROFL!

W.e, I guess you have 0 idea what these feel like for both parties unless they dont fit you which is a shame as they're not exactly massive.
Reply 15
Original post by mangoh
oh, but ain't the odds favouring on breaking more?

Well yeah. You shouldnt use the same condom which you have used with oral for sex because there is a chance of small perforations.

Quick Reply

Latest