The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel History Unit 2

Edexcel GCE History- the changing role of women in Britain 1860-1930.

Does anyone have an example of how to answer the questions on this exam paper.

I have all the past papers, and a copy of the mark schemes and how they are marked.

My teacher hasn't given us an example on how to actually answer the questions, and I am really stuggling on how to do it.

If anyone has an example of a high grade answer, please may I read it. Or just tips on how to answer the question and what to include when writing the essay's.

Thank You :smile:

Moderator note - No examination discussion allowed. 10 WARNING POINTS FOR EXAM DISCUSSION. This thread will be re-opened at midnight tonight. Read the full details of the announcement here.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How's everyone feeling about this exam?

I'm not feeling too bad as it's fairly late and I have 3 other exams before it..

I took it last year and got a very high B but need an A preferably...

So, how far has everyone got with revision?

I've done Atlee thoroughly, Conserv years after that and am now up to Harold Wilson and Heath!:smile:
here you go if anyone is actually doing this :confused:
I am currently revising this module at the moment because I am retaking it this summer (last year I got a C grade - 60/100). I want to get a B grade or above, what tips would you give me in order to get a better grade for this module?
Anyone?
Learn how to do the sources questions.

Do a bi of reading for further knowledge.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Learn how to do the sources questions.

Do a bi of reading for further knowledge.

Ok thanks

By the way I love the quote in your sig, it's so true :smile:
I'm doing exactly the same topic.

Basically, on an A question, you want to be able to 'blend' the sources together. So for example, don't do one paragraph on how Source A agrees/disagrees, one paragraph on how Source B agrees/disagrees, and one paragraph on how Source C agrees/disagrees. You want to:

. Make a point or an argument.
. Source A supports this.... Source B develops this and says.... On the contrary, Source C opposes this view and says... And then the key thing is analysis and PROVENANCE
. That's the formation of a paragraph.

I would type up an essay on this unit that I got an A on, but I've just got too much work to do - sorry :frown:
Thnx for the notes. I have been looking everywhere for these n havent found them till now. They r really good! Will you be able to post the other ones soon?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm retaking The Experience of Warfare in Britain 1854-1929 in under two weeks and I have completely forgotten exam technique for part a. This is the easier question with only the use of the sources but I can't remember how to do it.

The agree/disagree technique doesn't always work because sometimes both the other sources disagree so there is nothing to write about agreeing.

Please help?
(edited 12 years ago)
*bump*

I need some more advice, my exam is next week...
Original post by Inzamam99
Hey, I'd post my notes for you but they're all handwritten and at home in this topic. The most crucial aspect that you understand in relation to this module is that if you know how to properly analyse the sources then I promise you that you already have 50-60% of the marks in the bag even if you have absolutely no knowledge of the content of the course.

In the most basic terms, the structure of the source essay which I use is: 1) Introduction 2) Analysis of source 1 (3) Analysis of source 2 (4) Analysis of Source 3 (5) Conclusion. You need to compare the sources also but you do that as you go along as it saves an enormous amount of time. For example after analysing source 1 you move on to source 2 and after analysing that you should compare the similarities and differences it has with Source 1 and WHY this. For example does the writer of one of the sources have biased provenance, is he perhaps a newspaper writer who favours sensationalist statements over fact?? Then when you do analyse Source 3, you do the same thing- compare the similarities and differences between that source and the other two and underline why these exist. Also when you're analysing the sources in each paragraph use your knowledge also: "Source X says this BUT reality contradicts this as Y happened- this may be because the author has biased provenance as he is..." or "Source X says "Blah blah blah" and indeed when we look at the events from 1854-1858 these support the source's viewpoint in that...."

Also an important aspect is that your conclusion and your introduction should be very similar not in wording but in terms of your overall argument. In your introduction set out your argument (but never use the words I or me obviously): Just say blah blah but overall it is apparent that factor X was the most important and the others although significant played less of a role. Then repeat this argument in every single paragraph. For example if a source goes against your initial argument set out to debunk that source but if it supports it then back it up with your own knowledge- however be careful in doing this, if a source backs your own argument you still need to explore its provenance and see if it may be biased etc.

Also very important: When you're setting our evidence (e.g. Source X says this, the evidence for this is....) DO NOT ever write in chronological order but always in order of importance. It should go "Source Y says this. Clearly the most compelling piece of evidence to back this up is..."

OK and get the Experience of Warfare textbook from Edexcel if you don't have it. I have attached two essays. The first one is actually the first A Level history essay I ever wrote so it may not be world class but it still got a really high mark- my introduction and conclusion are too long in that- make them 10 handwritten lines maximum. The second one is my A2 history coursework (100% in that) and that provides a better indication of the best to analyse sources as well as in terms of the best way to structure an essay.

Hope I have helped :bhangra:

Thank you! :jumphug: though I can't open the individual essay...
I am doing Option D: The British Empire Challenged on Britain and Ireland is anybody else doing this exam ? Do you know what are the most likely things to come up are ?

Also, does anybody have any general advice on how to answer source questions ? How much of it should be on the actual sources and how much of your own knowledge etc. ? I need to get an A here so any advice would be appreciated.
Reply 13
I'm desperately looking for the questions on the June 2010 and January 2011 editions of the Edexcel Unit 2 Option B paper (Great Reform Act, 1867 & 1884 Reform Acts and Chartism. If anyone knows any of these questions, I would greatly appreciate it if you could place them in this thread, as I'm trying to identify which subjects are more likely to come up in the exam on the 19th.

After looking at all of the 2009 papers and the January 2010 paper, the Section A sources question is linked to the 1832 Reform Act in all of these papers, so this may be a recurring theme.

Where as the Section B question usually relates to the Chartist movement or the 1867 Reform Act in particluar, however questions on the 1832 and 1884 Reform Act have also been asked.
Reply 14
Bump
Bump
I'm doing the same exam board but mine is on Henry VIII rather than Britain and Ireland so I can't help you much there...

However, for the source questions we were told that you're supposed to use only the sources and no own knowledge - the only time you should use your own knowledge for those questions is to evaluate the reliability of the source. Hope this helps, and good luck!
Thanks, so on the source question you're only really meant to use the sources ? You see my teacher is awful and he didn't tell us anything. I know in the the past papers I've looked at it has said on one of the questions to only use evidence of the sources and the other one says use both the sources and your own knowledge. So I presume thats what you're supposed to do. I think last time I done it, I used too much of my own knowlegde so maybe thats why I didn't do that good (as well as a lack of revision).

Is anyobody actually doing the same exam as me ? I heard the 1867-85 period is the most likely to come up has anbody heard differently ?
Yeah that's right :smile: I don't think you lose marks for including your own knowledge in the source questions, but you certainly don't gain any, you'll be better off using the time to further evaluate/examine the sources :smile: Good luck!
Reply 19
Original post by somebodytoldmexo
I'm doing the same exam board but mine is on Henry VIII rather than Britain and Ireland so I can't help you much there...

However, for the source questions we were told that you're supposed to use only the sources and no own knowledge - the only time you should use your own knowledge for those questions is to evaluate the reliability of the source. Hope this helps, and good luck!

my teachers been stressing to me that there is more marks in using your own knowledge than the sources :confused:
there is 2 parts to it part A is only sources and worth 20 marks and part B which is worth 40 and there is more marks for own knowledge however you must use the sources and link them, thats what my teacher said :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending