The Student Room Group

Student Nurse/Lone Parent - Housing Benefit?

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can help. I'm a single mum to one child and I've just been accepted into the Adult Nursing degree programme for September 2011 entry.

I'm now trying to work out my financial situation and wonder if anyone on here knows anything about housing benefit for lone parents? I've calculated that with all my bursary/grants/tax credits I'll be taking in £10,760/annum. I've looked on the directgov website and it says that lone parents are entitled to housing benefit - but does anyone know how much I'm likely to get?

I have been employed my entire adult life so am pretty clueless when it comes to this kind of thing! :confused:

I'm posting this same question on two boards as not quite sure where to put it, hope that's ok!

Thank you in advance to anyone able to help xx
Reply 1
hi,
im a single mum due to start nursing degree in september,
just seen ur post and wondered if you'd found any info?
im really confused about the financial side of things..just hoping i'll be able to manage!
xx
Yes you can get housing benefit.

But it depends on your income.

If you want to PM me your student support breakdown I can work it out for you because I've got the photocopies of the book that each council uses to work it out.

Need to know everything from student loan/grant (or special support? or nhs bursary?) and child tax credits etc. Oh and how old the child is!
xx
You should go into your local authority and they will do the calculation for you.
If your child is under 16 you are eligible to claim housing benefit - but it will depend on your income if you get anything. NHS bursaries are calculated differently to loans - but you should still get something.

You are also a priority for the Access to Learning Fund - which is money your uni get. Contact them for more information.

Dont forget things like free school meals too - everything helps.
Original post by ssvlcond
You should go into your local authority and they will do the calculation for you.
If your child is under 16 you are eligible to claim housing benefit - but it will depend on your income if you get anything. NHS bursaries are calculated differently to loans - but you should still get something.

You are also a priority for the Access to Learning Fund - which is money your uni get. Contact them for more information.

Dont forget things like free school meals too - everything helps.

My local council refuses to do the calculation untill you are confirmed as having a place AND know exactly what finance you will get.

Which is pants

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending