The Student Room Group

What happens if Charles dies before the Queen?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MissLightyear
Wait, Prince Harry is actually called Henry?! Why is he Prince Harry then?

Wow, I thought everybody knew this? Haha :p:. I think he just prefers being called Harry, as a sort of nickname or something.

Harry is his nick name, sort of like Kate / Katherine - if Kate becomes Queen consort, she will be Queen Katherine instead of Queen Kate - if I'm not wrong :smile:
Original post by Drewski
In the same way that Prince Charles wouldn't be called King Charles, Prince Harry is just a given name, not his 'royal' name.

Why wouldn't he be called King Charles?
Reply 23
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Ya, one's Brother is in line to amalgamate succession to one's grandmother's throne.

He will make a stupid King, I remember him saying he will outlaw Nazi fancy dress.

Oh, so he'll be a stupid king because outlawing Nazi fancy dress is a really stupid thing to do, eh?

Of all the reasons to call him stupid I think that one's a bit weak. :s-smilie:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Wow, I thought everybody knew this? Haha :p:. I think he just prefers being called Harry, as a sort of nickname or something.

Apparently not :tongue: I feel really stupid now everyone else seems to know.

Original post by thegodofgod
Harry is his nick name, sort of like Kate / Katherine - if Kate becomes Queen consort, she will be Queen Katherine instead of Queen Kate - if I'm not wrong :smile:

Still seems like an odd nickname, Kate from Katherine makes sense, but getting Harry from Henry is weird. Ah well learn something new every day!
Reply 25
Original post by Chief Wiggum

King Charles's have a habit of getting their heads chopped off, so royal superstition says that they probably won't name anyone King Charles anymore. See this
Original post by willbee
Oh, so he'll be a stupid king because outlawing Nazi fancy dress is a really stupid thing to do, eh?

Of all the reasons to call him stupid I think that one's a bit weak. :s-smilie:

Not when you consider that he has no power to ban it.
Reply 27
Something totally random occurred to me: William's middle name is Arthur, he's married to a Catherine, and he has a younger brother called Henry. They're pretty common names, but still. If William died, would we see history repeat itself...? :tongue:
Reply 28
Original post by Psyk
Then it sucks to be him.

The crown would go to William, not Andrew.

I wonder what would have happened if Edward VIII (the Queen's uncle who abdicated) had children. Would they have taken precedence over the current Queen? I guess that if a king abdicates and he has children, the eldest child would get the throne. But what happens if he has children after abdicating?

he signed away his childrens right to inherit when he abdicated
Reply 29
Original post by DaveSmith99
Not when you consider that he has no power to ban it.

No but he probably has enough influence to bring that sort of law about. It's not like it would be a major law to pass; most people would agree with it and it's already a law in many other European countries.
Original post by willbee
No but he probably has enough influence to bring that sort of law about. It's not like it would be a major law to pass; most people would agree with it and it's already a law in many other European countries.

Well then the issue would be that the monarch shouldn't be using their office to influence public policy. I wouldn't really call that stupid though, just wrong.
Reply 31
Then Charles' body decomposes before the queen's.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X

There has been a tradition of Royals named Henry being referred to as Harry as far back as Henry V (at least the play) Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!' (Henry V, Shakespeare, Act III Scene I)
(edited 11 years ago)
Apparently not :tongue: I feel really stupid now everyone else seems to know.

Still seems like an odd nickname, Kate from Katherine makes sense, but getting Harry from Henry is weird. Ah well learn something new every day!

It's actually been quite common throughout history for royals named Henry to go by Harry. In fact I think the name Harry started as just a nickname for Henry before becoming a name in its own right.
Original post by OSharp
Ethnic minorities across the globe breathe a sigh of relief as a blow is struck for political correctness everywhere

We're talking about Charles here, not Philip :biggrin:
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Genuine curiosity,

does it go to Andrew and subsequently Beatrice?

Or just skip to William?

According to the Royal Line of Succession, Charles is first in line to the throne and William is second. Eliminate (so to speak) Charles and everyone moves up one - hence, King William and the Queen Consort Catherine.
Original post by Chief Wiggum

HRH the PoW's given names are Charles Philip Arthur George, he could use any of those as his Eeginal name Arthur may be seen as presumptuous, Philip as foreign, and Charles has some unfortunate connotations , George has a long standing use as a reginal name among Kings of England / UK

he could be Charles III, George VII or Philip or Arthur ... he isn't obliged to use a given name as a reginal name so could be Henry IX or Edward IX if he so chose
Reply 37
Original post by Beebumble
It's actually been quite common throughout history for royals named Henry to go by Harry. In fact I think the name Harry started as just a nickname for Henry before becoming a name in its own right.

Is it a name in its own right? The only Harry I've ever met was also a Henry. I know some dodgy characters name their children by nicknames, but I don't think it's particularly proper.
Original post by L i b
Is it a name in its own right? The only Harry I've ever met was also a Henry. I know some dodgy characters name their children by nicknames, but I don't think it's particularly proper.

Harry Potter, not Henry Potter. Yes it's a real name. :rolleyes:
Reply 39
I think it goes to William, as the son of the eldest. And yes, the lovely Kate would be Queen Consort.
Harry is short for Harold! Although some creative parents call their boys Harry as a name in its own right. Kinda like Jack, which was traditionally a pet name for John.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest