The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadab786ahmed
Yes! :wink: you'll be a year below me, right? Aaah, I see, how exactly does that work? :s-smilie:

Yup :smile: If all goes well, of course! Umm... I'm not quite sure. I think it's learning how to manage a mix of drugs, as well as little 'alternative' techniques. It's kinda important for oncologists, what with all the surgery and chemo and radiation :redface:
Original post by KythingToWrite
Yup :smile: If all goes well, of course! Umm... I'm not quite sure. I think it's learning how to manage a mix of drugs, as well as little 'alternative' techniques. It's kinda important for oncologists, what with all the surgery and chemo and radiation :redface:

Yay! :wink:
Aah, but how do yoi study online? :tongue:
Reply 242
I left high school this year, after doing the following GCSE's:
English Language, English Literature, Maths, Core Science, Additional Science, History, French, Art, Statistics, ICT CiDA, Physical Education and RE.
The main piece of advice I would give is to revise smartly. By this, I mean that you should adapt your revision techniques to the type of learner you are (visual, audio, kinaesthetic). For example, I am a visual learner, so I mostly used flash cards, highlighting key information, mind maps and post-it notes, and also did past papers to identify my weaknesses. It is really important that you revise your weaknesses the most, I know a lot of people who revised the topics they liked and ended up not doing as well as they should have in the exams. And also, do not rely on resits, they may seem like a back up, however it means more exams to sit, so less time to revise other subjects, and no matter what grade you get in resits, you have to keep it, even if it is lower. All the hard work will be worth it in the end, I'm expected to get A*A*AAAAAABBBBB and I and I feel like I revised well. Just keep motivated and you will be fine.
Yay! :wink:
Aah, but how do yoi study online? :tongue:

It's mostly a theoretical course. You get the notes, tests, these days even chats with teachers and virtual lectures online. She did her first MSc (Epidemiology) by Distance Learning from the Uni of London as well, so she's experienced :tongue: It's a postgrad, so it's expected that applicants don't need to be trained in administering drugs etc. But she's going to have to attend a resident's weekend after a year or so... If she wants, she can do it in India, but I'm trying to convince her to go to Cardiff and do it at the Uni itself... That way I can tag along :wink:
It's mostly a theoretical course. You get the notes, tests, these days even chats with teachers and virtual lectures online. She did her first MSc (Epidemiology) by Distance Learning from the Uni of London as well, so she's experienced :tongue: It's a postgrad, so it's expected that applicants don't need to be trained in administering drugs etc. But she's going to have to attend a resident's weekend after a year or so... If she wants, she can do it in India, but I'm trying to convince her to go to Cardiff and do it at the Uni itself... That way I can tag along :wink:

That's so cool! Yeah, convince her to come here :wink: Wahoo!
That's so cool! Yeah, convince her to come here :wink: Wahoo!

:biggrin: Working on it!
:biggrin: Working on it!

India would be... Meh...
India would be... Meh...

I've only been there once... And I was three... So I can't really say. I think the main reason is that it's closer. But Cardiff sounds more fun!

On a random note: Anyone speaking/learning German around here?
And another random note: Anyone doing History?
I've only been there once... And I was three... So I can't really say. I think the main reason is that it's closer. But Cardiff sounds more fun!

On a random note: Anyone speaking/learning German around here?
And another random note: Anyone doing History?

Aaah, I come from Bangladesh (well my dad) so near india... But yeah! :tongue:
MangoFreak in my year is, and I do history :wink: but neither of us are in your year :tongue:
Aaah, I come from Bangladesh (well my dad) so near india... But yeah! :tongue:
MangoFreak in my year is, and I do history :wink: but neither of us are in your year :tongue:

We're third (fourth?) generation migrants from India, so yeah... We speak a mix of Gujurati-Kutchi-Swahili and eat a mix of Gujurati-Kutchi-Swahili food :tongue: Indian migrants unite!!

Just to clarify... How many languages is MangoFreak doing?
And which history are you doing? I had a chouce between 19th and 20th Century; I'm doing 20th... Just started WWII. DEPRESSING. :'(
We're third (fourth?) generation migrants from India, so yeah... We speak a mix of Gujurati-Kutchi-Swahili and eat a mix of Gujurati-Kutchi-Swahili food :tongue: Indian migrants unite!!

Just to clarify... How many languages is MangoFreak doing?
And which history are you doing? I had a chouce between 19th and 20th Century; I'm doing 20th... Just started WWII. DEPRESSING. :'(

Aah, wow! That's a lot of language mixture! :redface:

Mango is doing three I think! German Latin and... :colondollar: can't remember... Spanish I think!
I did 20th century :tongue: WW2 features all the time :tongue: it was part of my c/w element and featured in my other modules :smile:
Aah, wow! That's a lot of language mixture! :redface:

Mango is doing three I think! German Latin and... :colondollar: can't remember... Spanish I think!
I did 20th century :tongue: WW2 features all the time :tongue: it was part of my c/w element and featured in my other modules :smile:

When I was younger, I would find it so strange that people didn't get what I spoke with my grandparents! Now when I see people who mix English, French and Swahili (That's how migrants from Cote d'Ivoire speak :redface:) I get it :colondollar:

God... I started studying WWII and reading The Book Thief on the same day, with no idea what it was about... Not a good idea. At all. Have you read it?

Ah, we don't have modules. Just 'papers', all sat together. But isn't that what they're doing for GCSEs from this year too?
When I was younger, I would find it so strange that people didn't get what I spoke with my grandparents! Now when I see people who mix English, French and Swahili (That's how migrants from Cote d'Ivoire speak :redface:) I get it :colondollar:

God... I started studying WWII and reading The Book Thief on the same day, with no idea what it was about... Not a good idea. At all. Have you read it?

Ah, we don't have modules. Just 'papers', all sat together. But isn't that what they're doing for GCSEs from this year too?

Aaah, that's so cool! Soon I'll be able to mix welsh, French, English and Bengali! :tongue: not!!

I've not read it but I've heard of it :tongue: why isn't it a good idea? :redface:

I think they're starting linear next year! So yeah, but it's still a module each paper right?
Aaah, that's so cool! Soon I'll be able to mix welsh, French, English and Bengali! :tongue: not!!

I've not read it but I've heard of it :tongue: why isn't it a good idea? :redface:

I think they're starting linear next year! So yeah, but it's still a module each paper right?

I think the switch to Linear is a terrible idea and Gove even seemed like he was interested in doing it for A-Level,which would make them ridiculously hard because students wouldn't have enough capacity to remember all the content I know that my knowledge of modular exams is slipping away from me but can be thankful that I don't need the knowledge again,at least not for a while unless it comes up in A-Level.
Original post by Dalek1099
I think the switch to Linear is a terrible idea and Gove even seemed like he was interested in doing it for A-Level,which would make them ridiculously hard because students wouldn't have enough capacity to remember all the content I know that my knowledge of modular exams is slipping away from me but can be thankful that I don't need the knowledge again,at least not for a while unless it comes up in A-Level.

It's not impossible, because thats what the IB is... But it's much harder, also makes it impossible to resit... Luckily we won't be affected :biggrin: so no worries :tongue:

You should try :tongue: Then you can swear at people and they won't get you! :wink:

You should read it. Like, now. It is one of the most brilliant books I have read, but it is not a good idea to study the Holocaust and then start reading a book set in Germany during WWII, with lots of Nazis and Germans. Especially not if the book makes you cry, because then you end up crying over your textbook :frown:

I dunno about GCSEs, but our 'paper' system is different. Every extended (further) paper can cover any topic from the whole syllabus, and core papers can have questions from anywhere in the core (standard?) syllabus. the 'papers' indicate the course route you take and the way you answer. So, for example in Sciences, P1 is multiple choice (core), P3 is brief answers (extended), P5 is practical (extended), P6 is alternative to practical (extended), etc. I was under the impression that modules are organised by subject matter—like I'd sit a module exam for co-ordination and response, or for reproduction. Is that correct?

Original post by Dalek1099

If linear is what I think it is, then it only improves your recall :smile: There's nothing wrong in making you revise it 'till it sticks, is there?
You should try :tongue: Then you can swear at people and they won't get you! :wink:

You should read it. Like, now. It is one of the most brilliant books I have read, but it is not a good idea to study the Holocaust and then start reading a book set in Germany during WWII, with lots of Nazis and Germans. Especially not if the book makes you cry, because then you end up crying over your textbook :frown:

I dunno about GCSEs, but our 'paper' system is different. Every extended (further) paper can cover any topic from the whole syllabus, and core papers can have questions from anywhere in the core (standard?) syllabus. the 'papers' indicate the course route you take and the way you answer. So, for example in Sciences, P1 is multiple choice (core), P3 is brief answers (extended), P5 is practical (extended), P6 is alternative to practical (extended), etc. I was under the impression that modules are organised by subject matter—like I'd sit a module exam for co-ordination and response, or for reproduction. Is that correct?

Lol, I can already do that :tongue:

Aww, I love Nazi Germany, studying it and everything! That was what I did my A Level exam in this year! Awww, I don't like sad things...

I don't understand :colondollar: our modules arent that segregated... Our B1 covers the human body and everything, and B2 is about environment :s-smilie:
Lol, I can already do that :tongue:

Aww, I love Nazi Germany, studying it and everything! That was what I did my A Level exam in this year! Awww, I don't like sad things...

I don't understand :colondollar: our modules arent that segregated... Our B1 covers the human body and everything, and B2 is about environment :s-smilie:

Lol, shall we swap swear words? i can teach you to swear in Swahili, you can teach me in any other language...

It's creepy, though. I love History to bits, but I'm rather sensitive, it seems :frown:

Oh, ok, my bad :colondollar: We don't have any segregation AT ALL :redface:
Lol, shall we swap swear words? i can teach you to swear in Swahili, you can teach me in any other language...

It's creepy, though. I love History to bits, but I'm rather sensitive, it seems :frown:

Oh, ok, my bad :colondollar: We don't have any segregation AT ALL :redface:

We can't use foreign language on here without translation... So urmmm... We can't :tongue:

I don't think you should study Nazi Germany or Russia :tongue: it may make you emotional...

Ahah, yeah, but you have sub topics to learn? Even if the exam isn't split :tongue:
Reply 259
I'm currently going to be going into Year 13 :/.........Dayuum I feel old compared to you guys :/ Anywayss all I can say to you guys is work your asses off and it shall pay off in the end :smile: