The Student Room Group

Aqa sociology unit 4 crime & deviance- january 27th 2012 !!!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by beccaa:)
thanks so mcuh thats a great help!

ohh wait, this was the question in june 2011, so the likely hood of this coming up again is like low ?
Reply 41
Original post by mrsay
ohh wait, this was the question in june 2011, so the likely hood of this coming up again is like low ?

Hey, In one week what are the main topics i should revise, in order to gain an average grade. So which theories do you think i could keep renewing on each question, because obviously i have no time to revise anything else, so what would be your advice for me.=]
Reply 42
Original post by MiahMaster

Hey, In one week what are the main topics i should revise, in order to gain an average grade. So which theories do you think i could keep renewing on each question, because obviously i have no time to revise anything else, so what would be your advice for me.=]

Ermm, i dont you should revise values and feminism.... deffo revise sociology and social policy, and sociology as a science, post modernists..

For criminal revise labelling, state crimes basically the whole of globalisation. dont revise marxist and crime because it came up last year, but obvs you need to know it briefly so you could put it as a evaluation point. do you kno what im trying to say....

And basically you know for theories, for example in the social action theories- you get parts such as ethnomethodology- and all tht crap? dont revise it all. the examiner doesnt expect us to know everything from a topic so just pick bits out. for example, learn the symbolic interationism, the labelling theory- the lookg glass self and the dramaturgical model.... and do tht for the rest to.. hope this helps. just quote again if you are unsure on anything
Reply 43
When did sociology as a science last come up?!
Reply 44
Original post by mrsay
Ermm, i dont you should revise values and feminism.... deffo revise sociology and social policy, and sociology as a science, post modernists..

For criminal revise labelling, state crimes basically the whole of globalisation. dont revise marxist and crime because it came up last year, but obvs you need to know it briefly so you could put it as a evaluation point. do you kno what im trying to say....

And basically you know for theories, for example in the social action theories- you get parts such as ethnomethodology- and all tht crap? dont revise it all. the examiner doesnt expect us to know everything from a topic so just pick bits out. for example, learn the symbolic interationism, the labelling theory- the lookg glass self and the dramaturgical model.... and do tht for the rest to.. hope this helps. just quote again if you are unsure on anything

Why feminism, surely this is less likely to come up as it has previously been asked before. Why do you advice me to revise this? =]

And pretty much the same question for the rest of the statements you have made, why do you suggest to revise globalisation etc.? =]

But you can use marxism in other questions, can you not?
What do you think of this technique, if i revise three main topics and just apply this to whatever question comes up.?

Okay good advice bro. I will do, i'll only revise some. But that indeed is the most annoying thing, as the book contains so much info, in which is not needed, and we waste our time in cutting this out.
Reply 45
Why feminism, surely this is less likely to come up as it has previously been asked before. Why do you advice me to revise this? =]

And pretty much the same question for the rest of the statements you have made, why do you suggest to revise globalisation etc.? =]

But you can use marxism in other questions, can you not?
What do you think of this technique, if i revise three main topics and just apply this to whatever question comes up.?

Okay good advice bro. I will do, i'll only revise some. But that indeed is the most annoying thing, as the book contains so much info, in which is not needed, and we waste our time in cutting this out.

****, i meant don't* cz theyve come up previsously lmao
because aqa dont repeat questions, and globalisation state and green crimes havent come up yet whereas marxists func and gender have if you kno what i mean... true. ive hardly revise tho man, cz i had psychology. but i doubt for criminal func and marxis will come up. however learn them cz they are good evaluation points.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by blue_
When did sociology as a science last come up?!

it hasnt come up yet, but postivist has
Hello, To all the people who are doing this Exam - Well firstly Goodluck and All the best! If you dont mind can i ask some questions?,

I am doing Unit 3 Religion and then after these jan exam going to do Crime and Deviance! so i would like to ask, how is the crime and deviance, topic , is it really really hard? or long ? is it boring or fun and interesting? Thank You and All the Best ! :smile:
Reply 48
Hi this is probably a silly question...but you know the theories of crime and deviance like functionalism (Merton strain theory/Cohen status frustration/ cloward and ohlin) then the Marxist and right and left realism and the broken window theory

What Mark qu could that come up as??

Would it be the 33?????
Original post by helpmekid
Hello, To all the people who are doing this Exam - Well firstly Goodluck and All the best! If you dont mind can i ask some questions?,

I am doing Unit 3 Religion and then after these jan exam going to do Crime and Deviance! so i would like to ask, how is the crime and deviance, topic , is it really really hard? or long ? is it boring or fun and interesting? Thank You and All the Best ! :smile:

It is a LOT more than religion, it is 75% of the textbook.
Reply 50
Original post by swallow
Hi this is probably a silly question...but you know the theories of crime and deviance like functionalism (Merton strain theory/Cohen status frustration/ cloward and ohlin) then the Marxist and right and left realism and the broken window theory

What Mark qu could that come up as??

Would it be the 33?????

i think all the crime and deviance questions are 21 markers:smile:
Reply 51
What do you guys think the 33 marker will be on
I gotta feeling it might be sociology is a science
Reply 52
Original post by mrsay
****, i meant don't* cz theyve come up previsously lmao
because aqa dont repeat questions, and globalisation state and green crimes havent come up yet whereas marxists func and gender have if you kno what i mean... true. ive hardly revise tho man, cz i had psychology. but i doubt for criminal func and marxis will come up. however learn them cz they are good evaluation points.

Do not just base it on what has and hasn't come up in past AQA, i have seen many times where it has repeated it. Surely you can repeat the same theories over and over again?

So what will you do during this week then in order to catch up in all your revision, i need this advice. =] Because i'm in the same position as you, due to other exams it has deterred me from revision this one.
Reply 53
i think all the crime and deviance questions are 21 markers:smile:

Thank u !!! :smile:
Reply 54
Predictions:

i think the 33 marker is going to be a theory specifically most probably functionalism, and the 21 markers on crime the topics most likely to come seem to be labelling and may be globalisation. Keith Trobe one of the senior examiners for AQA came to our school and he kept saying tht a theory question is overdue for 33 marks and for thories feminism has already been thr so chances r it will be either marxism, functionalism or interactionism but somehow i think its going to be funtionalism.

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by gfm
Predictions:

i think the 33 marker is going to be a theory specifically most probably functionalism, and the 21 markers on crime the topics most likely to come seem to be labelling and may be globalisation. Keith Trobe one of the senior examiners for AQA came to our school and he kept saying tht a theory question is overdue for 33 marks and for thories feminism has already been thr so chances r it will be either marxism, functionalism or interactionism but somehow i think its going to be funtionalism.

According to the past papers unstructured interveiws has came twice consecutively for the 15 mark question. So do you think it is risk worthy?
Oh god I started my revision for this weeks ago and it's still not sticking in as much as I hoped it would... the teachers at my college have just simply ran out of time, we haven't even got through sociology as a science yet, let alone social policy or value freedom! -.-' Anyway, my teacher said they haven't tended to repeat any of the Crime and Deviance 21 markers which hopefully should be interactionism/ globalisation and state crimes/ crime and punishment/ suicide or possibly realist theories, though hopefully not realism. They also don't tend to repeat the 33 markers with a theory being overdue (hopefully symbollic interactionalism or any of the consensus/conflict theories, not post modernism -shudders-) :eek::frown: let's all just focus on getting utterly trashed on friday night in a state of post-exam depression :biggrin:
Reply 57
According to the past papers unstructured interveiws has came twice consecutively for the 15 mark question. So do you think it is risk worthy?

You are wrong there, unstructured interviews came up january 2010 and then june 2010 it was observations. january 2011 was questionnaires and june 2011 were unstructured interviews again. but you have got to remember that there were 3 exam papers before USI came up. and there are very few research methods covered in this unit 4 exams anyways. so the likelihood of USI coming up now is verylow infact i am pretty sure it wont come up again.
Reply 58
does anyone have any predictions for the 33 marker at the end of this exam? my teacher has predicted sociology as a science

yeh same, my teacher predicted that may come up aswell, however, theories are probably much more likely to come up. Hope socilogy as a since comes up though lol
Reply 59
Original post by gfm
Predictions:

ahh thanks for that mate! :biggrin:D am really stressing for this paper, because i really want 'sociology as a science' to come up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending