The Student Room Group

No passion for University course

Basically I am in my first year of university studying Sociology. For the past few months I have though about leaving for a few reasons.

- I have no passion for the course. Unlike some subjects (business, economics) I litterally have no passion or thrive to find out more. In light of this I still do all of my assignments to a good standard (2:1)
- Gradute employment rates are very poor. The vast majority of my course members will be going into retail sales assistance, administration roles...etc

I was in the ATC since 13 and have always seen the RAF as an option. If I drop out of uni, work fulltime untill the position I wish to apply for opens up will me dropping out of uni be seen in a negative light? I am planning on doing an open uni degree in something im interested in whilst working and will be applying for an officer role
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't know what else to say apart from you should have done a course that you enjoy. I have a question, If you liked business and economics, why didn't you study those instead? Surely they have better career prospects too!

As for dropping out of Uni, I am honestly not sure, because you would be doing something more worth your time. I' m sure someone who know's will come along and comment shortly! :biggrin:
Reply 2
If you don't have a passion for it and are not interested in it, then drop out. You sound interested in the RAF and do that if that is what you really want to do. Without the risk of sounding harsh (and the risk of negs), sociology isn't the best degree in terms of graduate employment anyway outside sectors such as social and charity work- at least that is what it seemed like from the careers talk we got in sociology last week. Obviously having a degree is always advantageous but if you aren't interested in it and it isn't a great degree to have then continuing on with it seems a bit pointless tbh... Also remember that if you continue it means that you will have to pay full fees if you find a degree later in life that you really are passionate about and want to do.
Why don't you change your course to something you enjoy rather than completely drop out. You stated Business and economics why not see if you can transfer within your university.
Reply 4
Original post by NGC773
I was in the ATC since 13 and have always seen the RAF as an option. If I drop out of uni, work fulltime untill the position I wish to apply for opens up will me dropping out of uni be seen in a negative light? I am planning on doing an open uni degree in something im interested in whilst working and will be applying for an officer role

It will be viewed on a slightly negative level, but as long as you're prepared to back up your decision with reasons why dropping out was the right thing for you at the time, then you won't have a black mark against your name. I knew people on IOT who did similar things - they still got there.

There is an argument to say the RAF would almost prefer that.. get the benefits of someone who's had that 'living independently' phase without having to pay them a graduates wage... but I wouldn't count on that to get you through...
Reply 5
If you have zero interest you should drop out. Although that's if you have very little interest. I wouldn't worry about being 'passionate', and having an undying love for your subject; contrary to what people on this website think, you need those to do well.

I would say stick with university education (maybe reapply next year, or transfer) if you can. The RAF is pretty difficult to get into (especially now), and a degree is always something you will have.
Reply 6
If you're 100% you'll get at least 2.1, then stick it out, if you have more than little doubt you wont, no point staying.
Original post by Drewski
It will be viewed on a slightly negative level, but as long as you're prepared to back up your decision with reasons why dropping out was the right thing for you at the time, then you won't have a black mark against your name. I knew people on IOT who did similar things - they still got there.

There is an argument to say the RAF would almost prefer that.. get the benefits of someone who's had that 'living independently' phase without having to pay them a graduates wage... but I wouldn't count on that to get you through...

Thank you. Am I right in saying that if I join the RAF as a graduate I graduate training as a Flying officer instead of a Pilot officer?
Reply 8
Original post by NGC773
Thank you. Am I right in saying that if I join the RAF as a graduate I graduate training as a Flying officer instead of a Pilot officer?

Fg Off instead of (Acting) Plt Off, yes. You would 6 months at acting rank, then ~2yrs as substantiated Pilot Officer [no difference in pay].
Reply 9
Man I'm in a similar position. I'm finishing my first year doing Intl.Business with Intl.Relations and I'm just not satisfied with the course at all. The reason for this is that for first two years we're not actually doing anything related to business (only thing that was interesting was economics). So basically, there were 6 modules, 2 fixed, 4 optional, 2 being economics and 4 whatever you want, so I was basically forced to study things like geography or politics, subjects which I do not enjoy at all. Thinking now of leaving to another Uni for management course. In this course they learn about the business from day 1, covering all different aspects of it, seems just more interesting. In the course I'm doing now we'll start learning business related stuff only in 3rd year. Only thing that makes me think twice is that I'd be going from bit better Uni to bit lower rated one, what do you guys think? should i make the move?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Just as someone who's actually done that route, you notice the difference in pay between grads and non grad a LOT.

I've been in the RAF 5yrs+ and am still a Fg Off. Doing the same job as well (and often better) than Flt Lt graduates who are earning £10k+pa more than me. I would recommend getting a degree if you're the bitter sort :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by davidsvk
Man I'm in a similar position. I'm finishing my first year doing Intl.Business with Intl.Relations and I'm just not satisfied with the course at all. The reason for this is that for first two years we're not actually doing anything related to business (only thing that was interesting was economics). So basically, there were 6 modules, 2 fixed, 4 optional, 2 being economics and 4 whatever you want, so I was basically forced to study things like geography or politics, subjects which I do not enjoy at all. Thinking now of leaving to another Uni for management course. In this course they learn about the business from day 1, covering all different aspects of it, seems just more interesting. In the course I'm doing now we'll start learning business related stuff only in 3rd year. Only thing that makes me think twice is that I'd be going from bit better Uni to bit lower rated one, what do you guys think? should i make the move?

Sod what other people think. It's your degree and your life. The only one you have to answer to is yourself. Ignore the standard TSR elitism, in the real world it matters less than stuff you step in on the street.

Original post by Schleigg
Just as someone who's actually done that route, you notice the difference in pay between grads and non grad a LOT.

I've been in the RAF 5yrs+ and am still a Fg Off. Doing the same job as well (and often better) than Flt Lt graduates who are earning £10k+pa more than me. I would recommend getting a degree if you're the bitter sort :wink:

One of the reasons why I wasn't too downheartened to leave, tbh, as I too would have gone down that route. My SOUP would have been far less impressive :sad:
Reply 12
Original post by NGC773

Do you want to join for the right reasons? Most of the people don't join for the money, taking into account all the benefits you get lifestyle wise you'd be still better off than most graduate jobs in the city (apart from Banking). Also, if you quit university now, the recruitment process will take about a year with no guarantee of passing the selection either where as if you stay in university I'd suggest you start applying in the beggining of the final year.
Reply 13
Original post by NGC773
Basically I am in my first year of university studying Sociology. For the past few months I have though about leaving for a few reasons.

I've always stuck to the state of mind that if I'm enrolled in something (a job, university, a relationship, a holiday, a night out... whatever) I either put 100% in, or I leave it.
Sometimes the situation doesn't allow you to leave easily even though you're not enjoying it... let's say a mates birthday night out, for example. In these cases, all you can do is sort your mind out and make yourself more enthusiastic about it.

Basically, you either drop out of Uni (regardless of your other career options), or you start looking online for Sociology career options in the future, some history of Sociology... stuff that may make you more enthusiastic.
My personal suggestion is to spend a month or so doing the latter, and if you're still not very enthusiastic about it, start thinking about dropping out.

Hope that helps.
Reply 14
apply to the raf, but stay at uni till you get a date of service. youll soon be moaning in a 9/5 job if you cant stick out uni.
Reply 15
If you're only in your first year, how about asking your uni if the modules that you have done so far can count as credits towards an alternative degree which you might feel more passionate about. A lot of universities allow you to switch degrees in the first year without stepping back a year.

I agree with Drewski, as long as you can back up why you have decided to leave a course, then I think that you can turn it into a positive. I would see the decision that you're toying with making as a great example of having moral courage, something I was asked to give an example of at OASC recently. Think through your options, make a decision that you can stand by and explain and if you leave this course do something you can feel positive and passionate about as an alternative.

You're clearly capable (getting a 2:1 in something you don't like), just think what you could achieve if you actually felt strongly about the subject that you were studying...

Good luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Drewski
Sod what other people think. It's your degree and your life. The only one you have to answer to is yourself. Ignore the standard TSR elitism, in the real world it matters less than stuff you step in on the street.

One of the reasons why I wasn't too downheartened to leave, tbh, as I too would have gone down that route. My SOUP would have been far less impressive :sad:

We recently had a talk at my UAS from a testing officer at OASC who said that the pay for grad and non grads was equalling out. The non grad will earn the same as a grad, guess when they do start recruiting again they want more value for money.
Reply 17
Original post by dudeydan
We recently had a talk at my UAS from a testing officer at OASC who said that the pay for grad and non grads was equalling out. The non grad will earn the same as a grad, guess when they do start recruiting again they want more value for money.

It equals out later on, it's still a pretty large gap at the beginning though. When the non-grad is on £15k and the grad is on £21k the difference per month is noticeable!

But the theory always was that 3 friends would all join the RAF.
One would do it at 18, straight from A levels.
One would join at 21 straight from uni as a graduate with a batchelors.
The other would join at 22 straight from uni with a masters.
By the time they're all 24 they would be on the same-ish pay at the same rank.

Pretty sure that still balances out, but if they're making it balance sooner, then happy days.
Reply 18
Original post by Drewski
It equals out later on, it's still a pretty large gap at the beginning though. When the non-grad is on £15k and the grad is on £21k the difference per month is noticeable!

But the theory always was that 3 friends would all join the RAF.
One would do it at 18, straight from A levels.
One would join at 21 straight from uni as a graduate with a batchelors.
The other would join at 22 straight from uni with a masters.
By the time they're all 24 they would be on the same-ish pay at the same rank.

Pretty sure that still balances out, but if they're making it balance sooner, then happy days.

How recent is that info? I realise you probably have a better insight into it than I do, but this was literally a week ago, and from what she was saying it's a new policy, as in both have the same start pay. Seems quite fair, both doing the same job.
Reply 19
Original post by dudeydan
How recent is that info? I realise you probably have a better insight into it than I do, but this was literally a week ago, and from what she was saying it's a new policy, as in both have the same start pay. Seems quite fair, both doing the same job.

That's the theory going back years, could well be out of date now, but was relevant for when I started [09].

I'm not sure it does work out, tbh. Maybe during IOT, sure, but after that no. A newly qual'd EngO should get more than the 18 yr old APO. The EngO had to go to uni to get the degree - they can't do the job without it so they should get paid more for having the degree, imo.

Quick Reply