The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by myyrh

Original post by myyrh
I think it would still count as completing A levels over 3 years. Even though you have switched exam boards it is kind of irrelevant. A level content is similar with a lot of overlapping between boards so its not really an excuse which will hold any water. Unfortunately applicants who take more than 2 years are at a severe disadvantage because medical schools want to see that you are able to cope with the academic rigor of doing 4As's then 3 a2s achieving As in the span of two years. My advice would be to email the universities explaining your circumstances and ask if they would accept an application from you. I would advise you to count the family issues as a reason for your poor performance because its better to have a seriously good reason for under achieving than just not doing well because you didn't study hard enough.

Thanks for the reply, myyrh.
Original post by rukan
thanks! i didnt even get CCC so thats out of discussion :frown:

keele and kings is my only option i see.

Im a Turkish citizen as well as an English citizen so i sent e-mails to Turkish universities hopefully i would get a positive reply or i would have to do Bradford clinical sciences foundation or a different undergraduate course. Thanks.

I know its been a year but i was wondering if you got any replies back from the turkish uni's? Im in the same situation as you and I have dual Citizenship Turkish and British.. :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by JohnsHatun
I know its been a year but i was wondering if you got any replies back from the turkish uni's? Im in the same situation as you and I have dual Citizenship Turkish and British.. :smile:

yes i did, some assess you according to your A-levls other acorrfing to the (YOS) test but they still require international fees as i have been living here and not there- basically to be counted as a home student you will need to live there for > 3 years.
Original post by rukan
yes i did, some assess you according to your A-levls other acorrfing to the (YOS) test but they still require international fees as i have been living here and not there- basically to be counted as a home student you will need to live there for > 3 years.

How much aree the fees? I want to apply to Cerrah Pasa and Hacettepe and they both accept A levels. In fact only 2 I think for Medicine. I really wonder what the fee's are like. What uni are you at the moment?
Reply 24
How much aree the fees? I want to apply to Cerrah Pasa and Hacettepe and they both accept A levels. In fact only 2 I think for Medicine. I really wonder what the fee's are like. What uni are you at the moment?

This the real issue, they all "supposedly" have e-mails that people can contact them though but there just there for the sake of it, i dont know exactly how much now but i know they take international fees. so do you know the exact a-level requirement?? and do you have to go through the YOS for cerrah pasa?

im not at a university yet :smile:
Original post by rukan
This the real issue, they all "supposedly" have e-mails that people can contact them though but there just there for the sake of it, i dont know exactly how much now but i know they take international fees. so do you know the exact a-level requirement?? and do you have to go through the YOS for cerrah pasa?

im not at a university yet :smile:

From what I have read so far you only need 2 A levels at A or A* grade.

I you look at b) 3 you will see that even if you have dual nationality with one being Turkish, as long as you have been studying abroad for 3 years, then you can go to a turkish university as a foreign student.

B- Başvuracak Adaylar:
a) Lise son sınıfta olmaları ya da mezun durumda bulunmaları koşuluyla:
1) Yabancı uyruklu olanların,
2) Doğumla Türk vatandaşı olup da İçişleri Bakanlığı’ndan Türk vatandaşlığından çıkma izni alanlar ve bunların Türk vatandaşlığından çıkma belgesinde kayıtlı reşit olmayan çocuklarının aldığı 5203 sayılı Kanunla Tanınan Hakların Kullanılmasına İlişkin Belge sahibi olduklarını belgeleyenlerin,

3) Doğumla yabancı uyruklu olup daha sonra TC vatandaşlığına geçen çift uyrukluların,

4) TC uyruklu olup lise öğreniminin son üç yılını KKTC hariç yabancı bir ülkede tamamlayanların,
5) KKTC uyruklu olup KKTC’de ikamet eden ve KKTC’de ortaöğrenimini tamamlayan GCE AL sınav sonuçlarına sahip olanların,
6) KKTC uyruklu olup 2005-2010 tarihleri arasında diğer ülkelerdeki kolej ve liselerde eğitim alarak GCE AL sınav sonuçlarına sahip olanların,

başvurularının kabul edilmesine,

b) Adaylardan

1) T.C. uyruklu olanların, (lise öğreniminin son üç yılını KKTC dışında yabancı bir ülkede tamamlayanlar hariç)

2) K.K.T.C. uyruklu olanların (ortaöğreniminin tamamını K.K.T.C liselerinde bitirip GCE AL sonucuna sahip olanlar hariç),

3) Uyruğundan birisi T.C. olan çift uyrukluların, (lise öğreniminin son üç yılını KKTC
dışında yabancı bir ülkede tamamlayanlar hariç)

4) Uyruğundan birisi K.K.T.C. olan çift uyrukluların (ortaöğreniminin tamamını KKTC liselerinde bitirip GCE AL sonucuna sahip olanlar ile 2005-2010 tarihleri arasında diğer ülkelerdeki kolej ve liselerde eğitim alarak GCE AL sınav sonuçlarına sahip olanlar hariç),

5) T.C. uyruklu olup lise öğrenimini K.K.T.C.’de tamamlayanların,

başvurularının kabul edilmemesine

I have also attached a spread sheet of all the universities that allow the different qualifications. I found that best 2 are cerrah pasa and Hacettepe that accept A-Levels.

Alternatively you can find all of this information at http://www.yok.gov.tr/content/view/35/71/ it is a very handy website. :smile:

p.s Off course Turkey change their laws about education and other things very often.. I won't be surprised if I come to apply in one year and find out that I am no longer liable as they have changed their laws.. I hope not though. :smile:

Lastly I am nearly 100% sure that students that have dual nationality, one being Turkish are not allowed to sit the yos exam.. Argh how complicated can one country get! I guess it still wins me other with all that sunshine ^^

Btw - can you talk turkish?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
From what I have read so far you only need 2 A levels at A or A* grade.

I you look at b) 3 you will see that even if you have dual nationality with one being Turkish, as long as you have been studying abroad for 3 years, then you can go to a turkish university as a foreign student.

B- Başvuracak Adaylar:
a) Lise son sınıfta olmaları ya da mezun durumda bulunmaları koşuluyla:
1) Yabancı uyruklu olanların,
2) Doğumla Türk vatandaşı olup da İçişleri Bakanlığı’ndan Türk vatandaşlığından çıkma izni alanlar ve bunların Türk vatandaşlığından çıkma belgesinde kayıtlı reşit olmayan çocuklarının aldığı 5203 sayılı Kanunla Tanınan Hakların Kullanılmasına İlişkin Belge sahibi olduklarını belgeleyenlerin,

3) Doğumla yabancı uyruklu olup daha sonra TC vatandaşlığına geçen çift uyrukluların,

4) TC uyruklu olup lise öğreniminin son üç yılını KKTC hariç yabancı bir ülkede tamamlayanların,
5) KKTC uyruklu olup KKTC’de ikamet eden ve KKTC’de ortaöğrenimini tamamlayan GCE AL sınav sonuçlarına sahip olanların,
6) KKTC uyruklu olup 2005-2010 tarihleri arasında diğer ülkelerdeki kolej ve liselerde eğitim alarak GCE AL sınav sonuçlarına sahip olanların,

başvurularının kabul edilmesine,

b) Adaylardan

1) T.C. uyruklu olanların, (lise öğreniminin son üç yılını KKTC dışında yabancı bir ülkede tamamlayanlar hariç)

2) K.K.T.C. uyruklu olanların (ortaöğreniminin tamamını K.K.T.C liselerinde bitirip GCE AL sonucuna sahip olanlar hariç),

3) Uyruğundan birisi T.C. olan çift uyrukluların, (lise öğreniminin son üç yılını KKTC
dışında yabancı bir ülkede tamamlayanlar hariç)

4) Uyruğundan birisi K.K.T.C. olan çift uyrukluların (ortaöğreniminin tamamını KKTC liselerinde bitirip GCE AL sonucuna sahip olanlar ile 2005-2010 tarihleri arasında diğer ülkelerdeki kolej ve liselerde eğitim alarak GCE AL sınav sonuçlarına sahip olanlar hariç),

5) T.C. uyruklu olup lise öğrenimini K.K.T.C.’de tamamlayanların,

başvurularının kabul edilmemesine

I have also attached a spread sheet of all the universities that allow the different qualifications. I found that best 2 are cerrah pasa and Hacettepe that accept A-Levels.

Alternatively you can find all of this information at http://www.yok.gov.tr/content/view/35/71/ it is a very handy website. :smile:

p.s Off course Turkey change their laws about education and other things very often.. I won't be surprised if I come to apply in one year and find out that I am no longer liable as they have changed their laws.. I hope not though. :smile:

Lastly I am nearly 100% sure that students that have dual nationality, one being Turkish are not allowed to sit the yos exam.. Argh how complicated can one country get! I guess it still wins me other with all that sunshine ^^

Btw - can you talk turkish?

Yes i can, so the only requirement they have is having 2 A-levels and thats it?
what im thinking to do is apply to nursing here and work for a couple of years and then apply for graduate medicine here and Turkey I dont know if thats a good idea but thats what i can think of so far as i cant apply to undergraduae medicine, im a retake student :frown: what are you thinking to do?
Original post by rukan
Yes i can, so the only requirement they have is having 2 A-levels and thats it?
what im thinking to do is apply to nursing here and work for a couple of years and then apply for graduate medicine here and Turkey I dont know if thats a good idea but thats what i can think of so far as i cant apply to undergraduae medicine, im a retake student :frown: what are you thinking to do?

I'm going to apply for medicine in turkey at the top 2 universities there.. And i'm going to apply for an undergraduate course in Biology here.. I can do bio informatics and because im going to be leaving in Turkey hopefully i can take bioinformatics to turkey and i will have a secure job.. That's the only reason. But i think you should apply to medicine in turkey as HAcettepe and Cerrah pasa do them in English as well so you will have no problems with terminology :smile:
Reply 28
I'm going to apply for medicine in turkey at the top 2 universities there.. And i'm going to apply for an undergraduate course in Biology here.. I can do bio informatics and because im going to be leaving in Turkey hopefully i can take bioinformatics to turkey and i will have a secure job.. That's the only reason. But i think you should apply to medicine in turkey as HAcettepe and Cerrah pasa do them in English as well so you will have no problems with terminology :smile:

thats great! so with hacettepe what do they want ? just A-levels? is that it?

so will you do bioinformatics here and then go to turkey to do medicine?

Its great to know there is someone out there that more or less in the same situation as me :smile: good luck!
Original post by rukan
thats great! so with hacettepe what do they want ? just A-levels? is that it?

so will you do bioinformatics here and then go to turkey to do medicine?

Its great to know there is someone out there that more or less in the same situation as me :smile: good luck!

No im applying to bio here incase I dont get into the uni at Turkey, I think Hac. want 2 A levels too. I mean ive even researched rent and everything and Ankara is sooo cheap compared to istanbul.. Thank you. Good luck to you too. :smile:
Reply 30
No im applying to bio here incase I dont get into the uni at Turkey, I think Hac. want 2 A levels too. I mean ive even researched rent and everything and Ankara is sooo cheap compared to istanbul.. Thank you. Good luck to you too. :smile:

oh right! so do you know where i can get the exact requirements for haccetepe or cerrrah pasa? i mean i dont want to go in blind, i tried e-mailing and no one has replied. I need to know thw very small details i mean their teaching styles, how much their fees are etc. when will you be applying? thanks :smile:
Original post by rukan
oh right! so do you know where i can get the exact requirements for haccetepe or cerrrah pasa? i mean i dont want to go in blind, i tried e-mailing and no one has replied. I need to know thw very small details i mean their teaching styles, how much their fees are etc. when will you be applying? thanks :smile:

I need to get into another college to do a levels again before i can apply. But I should be apply in about a years and a half time. search google, search in turkish and in english. I searched for hours on end. Watched videos on youtube. No one seems to be content but i think its not as bad as they say. Keeping in mind that they havent experience living in a country like England I think that they don't know that they are lucky and that europe hasnt got anything big to offer them anyway.

I think you should just search google untill you find every little detail. When are you going to be applying?
Reply 32
I need to get into another college to do a levels again before i can apply. But I should be apply in about a years and a half time. search google, search in turkish and in english.
I think you should just search google untill you find every little detail. When are you going to be applying?

if i do then ill be applying this year in a couple of months but im worried because they all say how hard it is in turkey and its nothing compared to what we experience in this country. I don't want to go there and then not be able to go through the course therefore i want to have a degree from here and then apply. Than way i would have a leg to stand on :s-smilie: but im going to give a call to the education authority in turkey to get the exact details.
Original post by rukan
if i do then ill be applying this year in a couple of months but im worried because they all say how hard it is in turkey and its nothing compared to what we experience in this country. I don't want to go there and then not be able to go through the course therefore i want to have a degree from here and then apply. Than way i would have a leg to stand on :s-smilie: but im going to give a call to the education authority in turkey to get the exact details.

Medicine is Medicine everywhere. You shouldn't waste time here. Work hard at your a levels and go straight to turkey. Years 1-2 are going to be a repeat of A level bio and chem with a bit of maths anyway. So dont worry tooo much. :smile: I dont think you should waste time doing an undergrad course here.

Latest

Trending

Trending