The Student Room Group

Do most girls actively go for the cheap/easy look on a night out?

before you say, this isnt a thread designed to get at anyone. it is for my own curiosity. on nights out, the vast majority of girls wear obviously revealing clothes and makeup to match (yes there are some who wear knee length dresses, fairly high cut in the bust area and have toned down makeup, but these are exceptions).

i was wondering if girls consciously make the effort to go for this cheap/easy look? i have asked a number of people in real life. some people say that girls and guys are basically the same in terms of sex drive and wanting attention- girls want attention and want to get with the fit guys, just like guys want attention and want to get with the fit girls. the only difference is guys' standards are a bit lower (so change 'fit girls' to 'almost any girl').

other people i have asked say that girls wear these things to make them feel confident. so why dont they wear short skirts (barely covering their bum), low cut dresses and lots of makeup during the day?

other people say girls follow the crowd- other girls are wearing similar revealing clothing so no one wants to look like the odd one out.

back to the question: Do most girls actively go for the cheap/easy look on a night out?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I guess if the girls want attention then they'd go for the cheap/easy look, as there the only ones the guys seem to go for.
Surely the girls believe that they're making themselves look the nicest they can (whether or not that is actually the case is not what I'm debating) after all who goes out of the house for a night out thinking they look 'cheap and easy'.

Also isn't it societies depiction of women who dress as you described as 'cheap and easy' which we should be questioning?
(edited 11 years ago)
i think it is just social pressure to dress that way to be honest...
If you look cheap and easy then you are doing it wrong.

I personally wear body con dresses, because i'm dressing to my figure [too much Gok] and dont show it in everyday clothes, i'd look too over dressed, i like when i got out to be like wow rach well done for walking to and from work it has paid off, and because i just LOVE body con. I dont do it for sexual interest.
I'd never wear a cut out dress either-even if it was in fashion. That's just ghetto.

I think most girls who do look cheap because they dont realise what they look like from behind... or they don't style the outfit right. if they look easy i think they want to... they are looking for that sort of attention in which case leave them to it... like if you wanna dress like a lady to get treated like one.

Same with the makeup, you have everyday natural makeup-which you cant be bothered to do most of the time, and then your nightout makeup which you spend more time on and apply throughout the night to look special :smile:

Negs for answering the OP? come on
(edited 11 years ago)
Partially following the crowd, they don't want to look different to what everyone else is wearing.

Partially they're looking to pull and think this is what guys want.
Reply 6
Original post by sarahthegemini
I guess if the girls want attention then they'd go for the cheap/easy look, as there the only ones the guys seem to go for.

That's because most girls who don't dress or look cheap constantly rant about pervy guys. So most guys won't even give them a look for fear they'll be classed as a perv.
Reply 7
You cant dress "sexy" other than at nightclubs and bars. Its not cheap and being easy. Some girls do look cheap because they come from low income families and work at dead-end jobs with no education past secondary school.

When i was 16-17 i used to go to local towns/malls dressed in bodycon mini skirts from mid-thigh to just about showing the bottom of my bum cheeks, with knee high boots, high heels, (sometimes) platform 6" high heels, because ive always had nice looking legs. Sure i used to get the odd looks from some people but a lot of other people gave us the attention me and my friend was looking for.

Some girls really didnt like how we were dressed, its not like we looked cheap either. Having fit guys checking us out ALL the time worked great for my confidence. Seeing guys with their girlfriends eyeing us up, looking back to see if he looks back to check us out, giving him the eye/smile as he walks past with his girlfriend giving the dead eye. Then we started going to nightclubs so we just lost interest for flirting around town.

Most people on this forum dont seem at all interested in it all, as if its a horrible way to dress the guys just dont like it. Yet pretty much all guys ive ever been out with have liked it when i dress "sexy" or slutty as people on this forum call it, some have even bought me a dress to wear for when im out with them... some very revealing dresses id *never* wear around town in the afternoon..
Just never ever go commando with a very short mini dress on, its more hassle than its worth.
Reply 8
I think the thing is on a night out, you can get away with so much more so that's your time to really have fun with your clothes and makeup.
Reply 9
Original post by riotgrrl
I think the thing is on a night out, you can get away with so much more so that's your time to really have fun with your clothes and makeup.

Exactly, you dont really get any odd stares like you do in the afternoon.
You can usually spot the girls who are new to clubbing or dont go out much, they go for the regular nice looking dresses you would wear to a family party, much like what is discussed on this forum when girls are asking for advice on what to wear.

Once you've seen how seriously outrageous some people dress it makes you wonder how daring you can go, the more you go the more different or less you'll wear, Fashion goes out the window.

Some towns are different though, i went to Cambridge a while ago and i felt like i was the odd one out. I slightly showed off a glimpse of commandoism in a club there when i was dancing with a guy behind me and some of the girls were like - what a slag.

Yet in Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle people are just up for any form of fun, no one passes judgement. Most places people are like; yeah she looks nice. Especially in the gay villages with the drag queen guys!
Original post by Jessica20
You cant dress "sexy" other than at nightclubs and bars. Its not cheap and being easy. Some girls do look cheap because they come from low income families and work at dead-end jobs with no education past secondary school.

:afraid: You've got to be trollin'. Just because someone comes from a low income family and 'work at dead-end jobs' doesn't mean they look cheap. You can't buy style or class.

When i was 16-17 i used to go to local towns/malls dressed in bodycon mini skirts from mid-thigh to just about showing the bottom of my bum cheeks, with knee high boots, high heels, (sometimes) platform 6" high heels, because ive always had nice looking legs. Sure i used to get the odd looks from some people but a lot of other people gave us the attention me and my friend was looking for.

You sound like you were dressed as a hooker. That's the look I loved to go for when I was 16-17 :facepalm2:

Some girls really didnt like how we were dressed, its not like we looked cheap either. Having fit guys checking us out ALL the time worked great for my confidence. Seeing guys with their girlfriends eyeing us up, looking back to see if he looks back to check us out, giving him the eye/smile as he walks past with his girlfriend giving the dead eye. Then we started going to nightclubs so we just lost interest for flirting around town.

Hmm ... dressed in a 'bodycon miniskirt' showing your 'bum cheeks' with either 'knee-high boots' or '6" high heels' really sounds like you didn't look 'cheap'. The looks you were getting were probably from people trying to work out if you were soliciting yourself.

Most people on this forum dont seem at all interested in it all, as if its a horrible way to dress the guys just dont like it. Yet pretty much all guys ive ever been out with have liked it when i dress "sexy" or slutty as people on this forum call it, some have even bought me a dress to wear for when im out with them... some very revealing dresses id *never* wear around town in the afternoon..
Just never ever go commando with a very short mini dress on, its more hassle than its worth.

Have you ever wondered why guys try hitting on your when you dress 'sexy' or 'slutty' ---> they think you're easy and cheap. ONS's galore, I wonder how many meaningful relationships you've been in? I'm sure that does wonders for your confidence. Also the comment about going commando is so left-field that I'm not even going to bother. Obvious troll is obvious.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
I guess you could ask the same question about boys and the ridiculous Spice Boy/The Only Way is Essex/Ben Sherman stuff they insist on wearing. Each to their own I say

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Jessica20

I'm sorry but wtf. Why would you try and give the eye to a guy who is with his gf? Getting him to look at you as you walk past is irritating enough, you don't need to rub the poor girl's face in it. That's utterly disgusting behaviour tbh. Fair enough, you want an ego boost but why should it be by making the guy's girlfriends feel inferior? Can't you get your kicks from guys that don't have a girl on their arm :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Sarah and crocker, im innot the least surprised at your responses. No point me quoting bits when ive already described what many people on this forum are like, as predicted.

Not really I guess it looks decent not cheap, but as you said not for afternoon's in the mall but deffo club style, quite a classy look dear i say it :tongue:

Naah, it actually looks classy to some girls I've seen a few times.

You have a great figure btw.:sexface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
I feel like my IQ has actually dropped from reading this thread.
Reply 18
Original post by james1211
That's because most girls who don't dress or look cheap constantly rant about pervy guys. So most guys won't even give them a look for fear they'll be classed as a perv.

What? Just because a girl dresses classy and modest on a night out, doesn't mean they'll spend all their time ranting about pervy men. Maybe pervy guys just go for the 'cheap/easy' looking girls because, well they think they'll be easy :dontknow:

Latest