The Student Room Group

TSR Pagan Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Teao the Cat
Oooh, let me know when it is, i'll join!

Of course, I could make you deputy if you want? :smile:
Reply 61
Society approved. Should I associate this thread or shall we make a new one in the societies forum? :smile::biggrin:
I'm not asking this in an ignorant fashion but more curious... What exactly to pagans , wiccans and the like believe and practise?
Reply 63
Paganism is a nature based religion, and it doesn't have much structure (although Wicca seems to). It's hard to define, because paganism is an umbrella term, it encompasses so many beliefs. Many pagans worship The God and Goddess, although this is not compulsory. Similarly, some worship pantheons (like Greke or Celtic gods and goddesses), and others worship no god.
It's probably best that someone who has been pagan for longer answers this, they might be able to word it better :smile:
Original post by Pandora.

Society approved. Should I associate this thread or shall we make a new one in the societies forum? :smile::biggrin:

I think you can associate more than one, but if not, I'd say make a new one. And hey, if you want to give me power, i'll happily be a deputy :p: not often people trust me!!!
Reply 65
Paganism is a nature based religion, and it doesn't have much structure (although Wicca seems to). It's hard to define, because paganism is an umbrella term, it encompasses so many beliefs. Many pagans worship The God and Goddess, although this is not compulsory. Similarly, some worship pantheons (like Greke or Celtic gods and goddesses), and others worship no god.
It's probably best that someone who has been pagan for longer answers this, they might be able to word it better :smile:

Paganism isn't a religion at all. That's completely the wrong thing to say.

Paganism is a term which covers, in our current era, essentially any nature based set of beliefs that are not associated with any of the main religions. There are many pagan religions, but they are all reconstructions and whilst many claim to have direct ties with the pre-Christian religions of Europe, they do not. They just use the information we have on them and base their beliefs round that.

Thus, LeVayan Satanism is not a pagan religion. It's more of a lifestyle and utter bull****. Satanism isn't either, seeing as to worship Satan it involves a believing in God.

The God and the Goddess is a rather Wiccan influenced belief within paganism, stemming from their Lord and Lady. You'll find that Wicca is probably the most popular of the organised pagan religions around, with Ásatrú coming in a close second. Wicca, unlike Ásatrú, is not based on any one religion, but is an attempted reconstruction of pre-Christian European religions which takes ideas from various religions across the world. It is very malleable and adaptable, even allowing some to call themselves Christian Wiccans, a term I have issue with, but that's neither here nor there.

What all pagan religions share is a belief in some form of the divine inherent in nature, in some form, that is not found in the other religions. Some pagans believe all the Gods exist; others argue for a more Jungian interpretation and that all of the Gods and Goddesses are just personifications of archetypes empowered by a divine force which is neither male nor female; others argue that there exists one God and one Goddess and all the others are just personality attributes of theirs: thus Þórr and Hercules and Indra are just personifications of certain archetypes found within the God/Lord; others pick a certain tribe of Gods and worship them as closely as they can; others feel that the Gods are just personifications of natural phenomena which are inherently divine. As you can see, there's quite a range and I haven't really discuss them all.

There is no set belief in paganism, aside from a belief in the divine in nature. Thus, it is very hard to pin down and very hard to state what pagans do and do not believe.
Yeah I love standing stones and halloween
Reply 67
Original post by Hylean
Paganism isn't a religion at all. That's completely the wrong thing to say.

Paganism is a term which covers, in our current era, essentially any nature based set of beliefs that are not associated with any of the main religions. There are many pagan religions, but they are all reconstructions and whilst many claim to have direct ties with the pre-Christian religions of Europe, they do not. They just use the information we have on them and base their beliefs round that.

Thus, LeVayan Satanism is not a pagan religion. It's more of a lifestyle and utter bull****. Satanism isn't either, seeing as to worship Satan it involves a believing in God.

The God and the Goddess is a rather Wiccan influenced belief within paganism, stemming from their Lord and Lady. You'll find that Wicca is probably the most popular of the organised pagan religions around, with Ásatrú coming in a close second. Wicca, unlike Ásatrú, is not based on any one religion, but is an attempted reconstruction of pre-Christian European religions which takes ideas from various religions across the world. It is very malleable and adaptable, even allowing some to call themselves Christian Wiccans, a term I have issue with, but that's neither here nor there.

What all pagan religions share is a belief in some form of the divine inherent in nature, in some form, that is not found in the other religions. Some pagans believe all the Gods exist; others argue for a more Jungian interpretation and that all of the Gods and Goddesses are just personifications of archetypes empowered by a divine force which is neither male nor female; others argue that there exists one God and one Goddess and all the others are just personality attributes of theirs: thus Þórr and Hercules and Indra are just personifications of certain archetypes found within the God/Lord; others pick a certain tribe of Gods and worship them as closely as they can; others feel that the Gods are just personifications of natural phenomena which are inherently divine. As you can see, there's quite a range and I haven't really discuss them all.

There is no set belief in paganism, aside from a belief in the divine in nature. Thus, it is very hard to pin down and very hard to state what pagans do and do not believe.

Well said. And sorry about the bolded bit :colondollar:
I'm sort of pagan. My dad's anti-theist and my mum's atheist. When I was younger I was more agnostic, but I've established a few of my beliefs now.

others argue for a more Jungian interpretation and that all of the Gods and Goddesses are just personifications of archetypes empowered by a divine force which is neither male nor female

This is what I believe. :smile:
Reply 69
Moi! :hi:

Yeah, kinda similar story to other people. Brought up as a Christian. Got really into it when I was 11/12 I think because I wanted to belong. Then a week before I was going to be confirmed I realised that I didn't agree with a lot of stuff I'd been told I had to believe to be a Christian. So I refused to be confirmed and stopped going to church.
Started researching other religions. Came across Wicca when I was 13. Called myself wiccan and tried to practise until I was about 15 when I realised that I didn't actually agree with Wicca either. However, I did like the whole nature side of things so carried on researching other pagan paths as well as other religions.

Now I just call myself Pagan. I don't follow one path. I have a mixture of beliefs stemming from several different paths/religions as well as some stuff which I made up myself. (Although I have found that there are terms and names for those beliefs but I can never remember them :tongue: )

I follow the whole universe = divine, divine = the universe thing. However, I don't worship that. I don't follow any deities or anything. I don't think something along the idea of a "God/Goddess" exists. I hate, hate, hate, HATE the idea that pretty much all religions have that if a higher power exists it looks human and is only concerned with what humans do. Heck, if it does exist, why on earth would it give a **** about humans? Do (the vast majority) of humans care what ants get up to in their lives etc etc? :lolwut: I don't see why (and can't agree with any religion that teaches this) any sort of higher power should care about humans any more than the rest of the planet? That whole idea just sums up how arrogant humans are.

Yeah, so I don't worship or believe in any sort of deity. However, I do believe that there is a power that runs through all things. I am a witch as well. It's fun. :ahee:
In all seriousness, I do believe in magic. I've seen it work.

I also attempt to practise shamanic dreaming. Been learning for a few years.

Umm.. I do tarot cards sometimes but I prefer my oracle cards really. (I don't believe that tarot/oracle cards can tell the future or any of that BS. The cards themselves have no power. What I use them for is problem solving basically and I think it's my subconscious that picks out the cards. Any cards in the spread that relate to the future are how it might pan out if a course of action is continued or implemented... )

I have a lot of fun with crystals as well. :awesome:

Oh gods, I sound like a freak. I am sorry. :frown:

Spoiler

Reply 70
Original post by Hravan

In all seriousness, I do believe in magic. I've seen it work.

I'm an atheist and I would be interested to hear examples of this :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Hravan

Oh gods, I sound like a freak. I am sorry. :frown:

Not at all! Actually, I agree with most (if not all) of your post :biggrin: Welcome to the society! :smile:
Original post by Hravan

Umm.. I do tarot cards sometimes but I prefer my oracle cards really. (I don't believe that tarot/oracle cards can tell the future or any of that BS. The cards themselves have no power. What I use them for is problem solving basically and I think it's my subconscious that picks out the cards. Any cards in the spread that relate to the future are how it might pan out if a course of action is continued or implemented... )

I have a lot of fun with crystals as well. :awesome:

heh, you don't sound like a freak at all! :biggrin:

I never really got on with oracle cards, just couldn't get the hang of them, really. Love my tarot deck though it's the one that you can get in the little kit from waterstones, think it's called the Nova tarot. I have really little hands so it's great, since they are normal card size, not huge like tarot cards usually are. My boyfriend got me a bautiful medieval Cat Tarot (Love cats and studied history at uni) but I find it quite difficult to handle. I prefer just to look at it! :p:
Reply 73
heh, you don't sound like a freak at all! :biggrin:

I never really got on with oracle cards, just couldn't get the hang of them, really. Love my tarot deck though it's the one that you can get in the little kit from waterstones, think it's called the Nova tarot. I have really little hands so it's great, since they are normal card size, not huge like tarot cards usually are. My boyfriend got me a bautiful medieval Cat Tarot (Love cats and studied history at uni) but I find it quite difficult to handle. I prefer just to look at it! :p:

I have a fair few tarot decks and a some oracle cards but I only really use one deck. When I was 15 or so I went into the pagan shop in town with the intent to buy a tarot deck. But I saw the Druid Animal Oracle cards and ended up buying them. I've tried to use tarot cards but I always get better results with my Druid Animal Oracle. (But only for me.. If I try to read for other people the readings aren't right so I only read for other people with tarot.)

My list:

tarot decks

oracle cards

Reply 74
Original post by Hravan
I have a fair few tarot decks and a some oracle cards but I only really use one deck. When I was 15 or so I went into the pagan shop in town with the intent to buy a tarot deck. But I saw the Druid Animal Oracle cards and ended up buying them. I've tried to use tarot cards but I always get better results with my Druid Animal Oracle. (But only for me.. If I try to read for other people the readings aren't right so I only read for other people with tarot.)

My list:

tarot decks

oracle cards

What sort of results do you get with these?
Reply 75
Original post by Formica
What sort of results do you get with these?

What do you mean?
Reply 76
Original post by Hravan
What do you mean?

Well, you mention getting better results with one set of cards than another. What results are you referring to?
Heh, nice to hear that other people have their preferences on tarot decks, and it's not just me! I've never much like the Rider Waite, to be honest. Friend of mine had them, but they always felt wrong to me. I think I'm just more comfortable with the nova ones, possibly, beacuse like Hravan and the oracle, it's the frist deck? Don't know.

As an funny little story, a friend of mine swore by my tarot readings, and always wanted me to do one whenever she had some descision to make. Somewehre in the reading, the nine of pentacles would always appear, and the little book that came with the deck (which, as you will be able to tell, had some odd descriptions!) claimed that it meant she would one day have a gazebo. So, it will of course become a self fulfilling prophecy, since I have every intention of buying her a gazebo when she gets a house with a garden! :p:

So, what do we feel on upside down cards, people? I ignore them, but I know people who follow the 'reversed meaning' school of thought on it.

edit: here's the deck i'm talking about, with funny artwork, if anyone is interested! http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/nova/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 78
Heh, nice to hear that other people have their preferences on tarot decks, and it's not just me! I've never much like the Rider Waite, to be honest. Friend of mine had them, but they always felt wrong to me. I think I'm just more comfortable with the nova ones, possibly, beacuse like Hravan and the oracle, it's the frist deck? Don't know.

So, what do we feel on upside down cards, people? I ignore them, but I know people who follow the 'reversed meaning' school of thought on it.

Surely if the cards have a meaning and are to show you something then the fact they appear upside down means something. If there is a force guiding them, then it's reversed them for a reason.
Reply 79
Original post by Diety
I'm an atheist and I would be interested to hear examples of this :smile:

This wasn't meant to sound sarcastic, I am interested in the study of religion and would genuinely be interested to hear examples of magic.

Quick Reply