The Student Room Group

Why does it take so incredibly long to build muscle?

even on a good routine, with a good diet (enough protein etc.), enough sleep and fairly decent genetics (not a skinny ectomorph), it takes SO LONG to build muscle. i ask people in the gym who look ripped with good bodies and they say they have been training for several years! why does it take so long for the body to build muscle? no wonder people turn to steroids.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by robotwars
even on a good routine, with a good diet (enough protein etc.), enough sleep and fairly decent genetics (not a skinny ectomorph), it takes SO LONG to build muscle. i ask people in the gym who look ripped with good bodies and they say they have been training for several years! why does it take so long for the body to build muscle? no wonder people turn to steroids.

Personally, I don't think it takes a long time if you work hard and maintain your body correctly. Making sure to be strict with yourself. Genetics play a major part in building muscle and losing muscle. However, anyone can get the 'body of their dreams' within good time.

Knowing how is catch.

PS: Steriods really are not worth it.
Original post by Lee R
Personally, I don't think it takes a long time if you work hard and maintain your body correctly. Making sure to be strict with yourself. Genetics play a major part in building muscle and losing muscle. However, anyone can get the 'body of their dreams' within good time.

Knowing how is catch.

PS: Steriods really are not worth it.

:smile: genetics play a part as to how big you can get not so much the rapid gains but they do play some part in that.

make sure you are eating enough calories or you simply WONT build muscle.

Do compound exercises not isolation ones, as they use heavier weights, use more than one muscle group and they realease more testosorone which is the key to building more muscle.

hope this helps, but do not worry, quick gains like using steriods means you will lose muscle when you stop taking them and secondly natural muscle is better than ****ty roid muscle.
Reply 3
do big compound lifts and keep your diet well in check, you will see results. you can't go to the gym doing big lifts and stay small. Just doesn't happen bro
If you lift big, eat big and train for the size range of more than 6-10 reps in a variety of compound movements, you'll grow over time. Its better to build your strength up and then go for size however.

For example, if you train strength to a 200KG deadlift, you can workout a plan to train in a 4 set of 8 reps at 140/50KG. Deadlifts and squats are the best mass builders but you need to eat enough to grow.
Reply 5
It doesn't if your ride the bicycle once or twice.
If you're a natural ectomorph you might find it hard to build muscle.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/body-types-ectomorph-mesomorph-endomorph.html
Reply 7
Original post by Arcanine
It doesn't if your ride the bicycle once or twice.

Lol @ thinking you can get huge from one cycle.
Reply 8
Original post by FluxD
Lol @ thinking you can get huge from one cycle.

I wasn't being literal. It was just a phrase.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
lol
Original post by England is me
:smile: genetics play a part as to how big you can get not so much the rapid gains but they do play some part in that.

make sure you are eating enough calories or you simply WONT build muscle.

Do compound exercises not isolation ones, as they use heavier weights, use more than one muscle group and they realease more testosorone which is the key to building more muscle.

hope this helps, but do not worry, quick gains like using steriods means you will lose muscle when you stop taking them and secondly natural muscle is better than ****ty roid muscle.

there are only three compound exercises

you telling me that one should be circulating only those three?

stop telling people you're a bodybuilder, this is absolute rubbish
Original post by darkofthemoon

You clearly know very little about weightlifting if you think the squat, bench and dead are the only three compound lifts. Presses, dips, varients of the oly lifts, rows- all of these are compound lifts.

Now stop whinging and making excuses, get off the machines, go lift some heavy stuff and eat like a horse.

Or you could just give up like most people do when they realise that it actually takes some hard work and dedication to get the 'super hawt bicepz' that they crave.

(this post goes for you and for the OP)
(edited 12 years ago)

lol

Failure #1

Compunds are multi-muscle workouts.

isolation exercises are single muscular groups.

You're absolute rubbish you Mc. Chump
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
lol

Failure #1

Compunds are multi-muscle workouts.

isolation exercises are single muscular groups.

You're absolute rubbish you Mc. Chump

dude u come across as an absolute mug, willing to bet my left nut I look way bigger than u and am stronger than u too
dude u come across as an absolute mug, willing to bet my left nut I look way bigger than u and am stronger than u too

You might be right that you are bigger and stronger than that guy, unless you guys exchange/post pictures/stats who knows.

But you were wrong there is more than 3 compound movements

Also there is the saying that most of the big guys in the gym are big despite what they know not because of it. You could well fall under that catagory

What are your squat/bench/dead numbers?

an absolute mug?

Steady there dear boy! You might drop a big, fat wet turd on your pec deck as you wet yourself.
Reply 17
Doesn't take that long to gain muscle. It really helps if you get a personal trainer to give you a good diet plan and help you do it, though. Generally people's exercise plans are crap.
Original post by England is me

LOL, please go

you clearly know nothing about steroid use so don't talk rubbish
Reply 19
It takes so long to build muscle because your body fights it. The way that the human body has adapted/evolved is to conserve all possible energy, having said that building muscle takes ALOT of energy.

You will find that some people will generally have better genetics for putting on mass than others, luckily i have fairly good genetics but i know what you are talking about as many friends of mine (unfortunately) dont have genetics.

Theres no key to gaining muscle, all of the people saying it is easy are stupid, just because it is easy for them, does not mean it is easy for others.

the best things to do are have 3 shakes a day one before you wake up another pre-workout and the last post workout, whilst eating 4-5 meas a day with plenty of good carbs and lean protien.

Workout-wise i would only work each muscle group once a week to let it fully recover (and avoid over-training) and make sure you include the 3 best compound exercises all at least once a week (bench,squat,deadlift).

another thing which is good to do is get a spotter and push your reps beyond failure, those last couple of reps will make the gains.

...However this is the gym, everybody has an opinion and thinks that theirs is the best, sample em all and find the best for you.

Latest