The Student Room Group
New College of the Humanities
Northeastern University London
Visit website

Anybody appying to New College Of the Humanities?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tillytots
it advertises on TSR, along with LSBU and university of west london, says alot...

And Nottingham Trent.

I assure you, NTU, there is no sociology in my apple. None whatsoever.

Original post by Computerised
Yes I was shocked when I saw this too. They broke the cardinal "Top unis never advertise" rule.

To be fair, it's brand new. Other top uni's are not.

Its position would be different however amazing it was.
(edited 12 years ago)
New College of the Humanities
Northeastern University London
Visit website
Reply 21
It has almost no entry requirements and charges £18,000 a year... to fund the big name professors that are the only thing it's got going for itself.
Original post by Computerised
lool everyones replies are so negative. I guess that college is a flop then. Please elaborate on what is so bad about it? My main qualms are that its selling standard London degrees for triple the price, plus where on earth is it gonna find a decent college building in north london?

I need more replies people

I do not think they realise the extent to which they are between a rock and a hard place. They want this to be a British educational experience, so want no more than 1/3 international students.

The government's announcement of AAB+ funding to universities means most of the brighter UK students are closed to them. We don't know if any of UCL/King's/RHUL/Queen Mary/Goldsmiths will expand on the back of this change, but if they do they will mop up all the London-bound AAB+ students. Even if they don't, some of the top players in the provinces will.

Moreover, given the fees this is going to be a parental decision to send their children to NCH. Most wealthy British parents want to keep their 18 year-old children away from the fleshpots of London if at all possible. There is a reason 19th century Oxbridge didn't want the railways to come and more recently Durham, Exeter and St Andrews are not known for their wild nightlife. NCH would be more attractive to a UK market if it took over a defunct boarding school in the middle of nowhere.

However, the international market requires London. The problem is that to have academic credibility, the college is going to have to produce decent results in a degree that has not been dumbed down. Although 1:1 tuition will help, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Many rich international students will want a "lifestyle" programme not hard academic work. The existing private colleges in London know this. Moreover whilst Dawkins is a draw in the UK, if you are a God-fearing Baptist from middle America or a Muslim from say Malaysia or the Gulf, would you want him anywhere near your kids?

Noticeably they are not yet advertising premises. They may be able to offer lectures in hired facilities, and there are plenty around Bloomsbury, but to make this collegiate and to offer tutorials they are going to have to have a building with teaching rooms and communal facilities. Unless another college is moving out, planning permission may be a real issue for them. Regents College has the old UoL Bedford College buildings.

They also do not yet have their sponsor status for visas without which the international market is closed to them.
Reply 23
Original post by nulli tertius
I do not think they realise the extent to which they are between a rock and a hard place. They want this to be a British educational experience, so want no more than 1/3 international students.

The government's announcement of AAB+ funding to universities means most of the brighter UK students are closed to them. We don't know if any of UCL/King's/RHUL/Queen Mary/Goldsmiths will expand on the back of this change, but if they do they will mop up all the London-bound AAB+ students. Even if they don't, some of the top players in the provinces will.

Yeah tbh I really don't get it. I could do the exact same degree for a fraction of the price with excellent teaching at one of those unis instead.
Moreover, given the fees this is going to be a parental decision to send their children to NCH.
Most wealthy British parents want to keep their 18 year-old children away from the fleshpots of London if at all possible.

Explains the lack of rahs in London.
Moreover whilst Dawkins is a draw in the UK, if you are a God-fearing Baptist from middle America or a Muslim from say Malaysia or the Gulf,

UCL is famously non-religious and it gets plenty religious students. Then again I guess it isn't anti-religious so that would explain it
would you want him anywhere near your kids?

lool you make Dawkins sound like Michael Jackson.
Noticeably they are not yet advertising premises. They may be able to offer lectures in hired facilities, and there are plenty around Bloomsbury, but to make this collegiate and to offer tutorials they are going to have to have a building with teaching rooms and communal facilities. Unless another college is moving out, planning permission may be a real issue for them. Regents College has the old UoL Bedford College buildings.

Yeah man I wanted to take a look but they had no address whatsoever. Who would apply to a uni that doesn't exist?
They also do not yet have their sponsor status for visas without which the international market is closed to them.
Does anybody know if students at this place are entitled to student finance? I dont see how they can be, yet there has been nothing said about it.
Original post by morecambebay
Does anybody know if students at this place are entitled to student finance? I dont see how they can be, yet there has been nothing said about it.

They are, as is anyone who studies a course at the requisite level at any private college.
They are, as is anyone who studies a course at the requisite level at any private college.

NCH students arent actually students of NCH, they are students of the Uni of London international program. If they are eligible for student finance, why cant every student of the international program just set up their own college and claim finance to tide them over?
(edited 12 years ago)
NCH students arent actually students of NCH, they are students of the Uni of London international program. If they are eligible for student finance, why cant every student of the international program just set up their own college and claim finance to tide them over?

The students will be students of NCH but they will also be students of the University of London reading for London degrees under London's International Programme.

Student finance has always been based on the teaching institution and not the examining institution and private college attendees have been able to benefit from student finance for many years e.g Norland Nanny students. see http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=415584

The course has to be designated by the government but that isn't a difficult process. There will be other London International students currently receiving finance.

What may be interesting is that from 2012 student finance will be available for distance learning courses. What happens if UoL tries to register their course as a distance learning course? Can the same course (NCH's add ons are irrelevant here I think) be a distance learning course or a full time course depending on whether the student obtains tuition from a third party? What is there to stop a private tutor registering the same UoL course and have his students claim £6000 in student funding?

If one looks at the student finance regulations,

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2011/1986/made

what one can see is that there isn't a lot of principle at work here. There are a lot of special cases to ensure that what has always qualified, still does so but without letting in courses that were previously excluded.

The battle between law faculties and the government is quite intense. Universities tagged on a Legal Practice Course to the LLB to get a fourth year of funding. The government banned from funding, courses leading to a professional qualification for whch a first degree was normally required. So universities pursuaded the Law Society to exempt certain law degrees (ie those with the content of the LPC) from the need for an LPC. Accordingly there is no professional qualification any more (students merely get an LLB) and the ban does not apply.
After reading all this - it seems I'm the only one applying so far!!

I had already applied for Cambridge, Durham, York, Warwick and Loughborough - to do English - and thought that as NCH was separate from UCAS, that I may as well have a go. Put down for English as the main and Philosophy as my other choice.

I am on a full bursary at a public school at the moment, so it's not like I can afford the 18k fees - but there was an option on the form "I can only attend NCH if I win a full scholarship," which I ticked - and was still given an interview. I thought I may as well have a go, I have nothing to lose by applying!

If I wasn't to get into Cambridge, but I got a scholarship at NCH - the idea of coming out of uni debt free is quite appealing!

I do think that you have rather jumped to conclusions with the types of students that will be applying - yes I'm a public school student, but not a wealthy one! I have applied entirely independently! The only other people who I know who have applied are in the exact same position as me.
Original post by oggdeferrer

I had already applied for Cambridge, Durham, York, Warwick and Loughborough - to do English - and thought that as NCH was separate from UCAS, that I may as well have a go. Put down for English as the main and Philosophy as my other choice.

I am on a full bursary at a public school at the moment, so it's not like I can afford the 18k fees - but there was an option on the form "I can only attend NCH if I win a full scholarship," which I ticked - and was still given an interview. I thought I may as well have a go, I have nothing to lose by applying!

If I wasn't to get into Cambridge, but I got a scholarship at NCH - the idea of coming out of uni debt free is quite appealing!

I do think that you have rather jumped to conclusions with the types of students that will be applying - yes I'm a public school student, but not a wealthy one! I have applied entirely independently! The only other people who I know who have applied are in the exact same position as me.

stop advertising
stop advertising

How was that advertising? Just expressing my opinion...
Original post by jameswhughes
They don't do maths, oh dear :colone:

Spoiler

do you understand the definition of what a humanities subject is? and this sort of attitude about STEM subjects which has led to the ridiculous position we're in now with the NCH in the first place. so be quiet and add up your numbers.
Reply 32

How did the interview go, I am considering applying as well.
Who interviewed you, did they give you any extra info about themselves that they haven't included on their website or prospectus ?
If I get an interview do you have any advice for me ?

And I think you are spot on when you say that because it's not part of your 5 UCAS choices, there is no harm in applying. You might end up with a scholarship in which case you end up with a uol degree free of charge. I have also read that they have strong links with high level employers. At the very least the interview will prepare you for your Cambridge interview, so I don't see what's wrong with applying their.
Original post by MWM
Who interviewed you, did they give you any extra info about themselves that they haven't included on their website or prospectus ?

And I think you are spot on when you say that because it's not part of your 5 UCAS choices, there is no harm in applying. You might end up with a scholarship in which case you end up with a uol degree free of charge. I have also read that they have strong links with high level employers. At the very least the interview will prepare you for your Cambridge interview, so I don't see what's wrong with applying their.

Finally!! Someone who understands what I was trying to say! :smile:

I haven't had the interview yet - it is on the 24th November - but I can tell you all after that!

I think it's actually quite good - the only thing I have to lose is my train fare up to London... And exactly - the opportunity to practice an interview :smile:

I think it's worth applying!
Original post by polly12
I think the whole thing is a pretty disgusting affair tbh. I wouldn't apply. Celebrity academics providing a second rate education at really silly prices.

:ditto:

I haven't had the interview yet - it is on the 24th November - but I can tell you all after that!

I don't think the NCH would thank you for that. Users on here have gotten into serious trouble before for leaking Oxbridge interview questions. If someone from the NCH browses TSR and notices any questions being leaked, you could risk your place (this thread would pop straight up on google).

And we also moderate discussion of interviews very strongly.
Reply 35
Yea the person above has a good point, This thread came up on google when I searched "Who has an offer from the NCH".
Juts PM me how it goes :smile:.
I didn't mean discussing the questions, I meant generally discussing how the interview went... What I am excited by is that I get interviewed by AC Grayling & Suzannah Lipscomb - which is awesome :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by MWM

Where exactly would those 'strong links' come from seeing as they've only just started?:confused:
I have also read that they have strong links with high level employers

Original post by hobnob
Where exactly would those 'strong links' come from seeing as they've only just started?:confused:

I'm 5'10" and an employer and I know one of the professors. Will that do?
Heres university of southampton advertising on TSR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending