The Student Room Group

Southampton Medical School 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
I got an offer yesterday - I'm a reapplicant!
Ukcat 730, A*A*A at A level. Going to firm it! loooove soton
It vaguely worries me that no rejections have gone out yet... are they doing offers and then mass rejections :s-smilie:
Reply 1062
Original post by fallenangel
Not trying to be funny - but with the exception of 'NinjaRikki' what's with all the 'new members' magically receiving offers?

This happened with the Lancaster interview invites as well :tongue: I'm putting it down to complete coincidence :cool:
Reply 1063
Not trying to be funny - but with the exception of 'NinjaRikki' what's with all the 'new members' magically receiving offers?

:dontknow: Maybe they just want to make us jealous :cry:
Reply 1064
Original post by bssjonny
I think people have said on here before. The UKcat is mainly being used by soton as a means of cutting down on the number of applicants they have to go through if they score below 2300 (or something like that). So whilst a high UKcat might be advantageous, i dont think that it matters all that much.
From what i have heard, soton much rather that you have the personal attributes of a good doctor. So i imagine that a good personal statement and references will help you a long way.

That's exactly how I understood the system at soton to be too. I also assumed that they would only use the ukcat if they had to distinguish between similiar candidates after reading the PS/refs.
In any case, I think all the decisions will take a long time to come through judging from soton's history! Good luck everyone.
(edited 12 years ago)
Is anyone else slowly going insane waiting to hear? Hair pulling has commenced and slowly, but surely, I'm starting to rock back and forth. Back and forth.

Probably because they usually just read the posts and don't write anything, because they don't want to/have nothing to say, but obviously you want to share it with the world if you get an offer for Medicine!
Reply 1067
Original post by Nnuunnuu
aw I thought it was just me .. where have you applied?

Imperial, Kings, Nottingham and Soton. The waiting is killing me.

Lol! Its just luck isnt it I suppose. :/

Maybe some members log onto Studentroom, to look at the threads but dont post... when they get their offer they want to update their stalking page, and hence tell others on the Soton thread that they have received offers.

Im sure no one would lie :eek:
Reply 1069
Original post by NinjaRikki
Lol! Its just luck isnt it I suppose. :/

Maybe some members log onto Studentroom, to look at the threads but dont post... when they get their offer they want to update their stalking page, and hence tell others on the Soton thread that they have received offers.

Im sure no one would lie :eek:

I've not got an offer from Southampton, but I only made an account on here when I'd received an offer from BSMS to chat to other people (and avoid revision), so I imagine a lot of others do the same.
Could someone please tell me how many offers Southampton gives out for the BM5 programme. Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 1071
Hahaha...I just checked my Track.

On a Sunday :sigh:

Must....revise!! Allure of procrastination....tooo....strong.....AARRGGHH!!!

:crast:

:badger:

Wait what?
Reply 1072
Original post by NP473L
Hahaha...I just checked my Track.

On a Sunday :sigh:

Must....revise!! Allure of procrastination....tooo....strong.....AARRGGHH!!!

:crast:

:badger:

Wait what?

Me too! :smile:

...whatever keeps me from reading these dull papers :tongue:
Didn't anticipate my post being so controversial - but I will do my best to answer the guys who responded to me.

No-where did I say that it could not have been a coincidence - I was merely stating an observation that I had made, so whether it's true or not - that's my opinion, which last time I checked - I was entitled to. I have just noticed a general trend that the when it comes to offers/interviews ect - it seems that a lot of the new members are the quickest to receive them. I sincerely apologise to any of the new members who have genuinely received offers - I relate to the fact people are feeling on-edge, but ultimately I don't think the overly hormonal response my post has created - alternatively the 'negs' are well justified - but each to their own.

I agree with you - I think some people may be genuine but I also think others simply enjoy the attention. Just wanted to say, from what I've seen on here - you seem like an incredible and pretty well deserving applicant so I hope some good news comes your way soon. :smile:

Tbh from what I can see the posts you've mentioned as being "overly-hormonal" are pretty bland, so where you got that from I don't know :wtf: it's just people offering their explanations for what you have pointed out... No one has tried to disregard your opinion from what I can see. And personally, even though it might be a bit depressing seeing others getting offers sometimes, I'd prefer to know how the uni's are doing on the offers/ rejections front. But each to their own :wink:
Reply 1074
Original post by Maxxie
Me too! :smile:

...whatever keeps me from reading these dull papers :tongue:

I'm really not enjoying Biology this year :s-smilie: (the environmental/ecology stuff). Hopefully, the next Unit won't leave me so insane that I pull out the emoticon of a dancing badger.

:crossedf::grin:
Original post by turnor123
Tbh from what I can see the posts you've mentioned as being "overly-hormonal" are pretty bland, so where you got that from I don't know :wtf: it's just people offering their explanations for what you have pointed out... No one has tried to disregard your opinion from what I can see. And personally, even though it might be a bit depressing seeing others getting offers sometimes, I'd prefer to know how the uni's are doing on the offers/ rejections front. But each to their own :wink:

'Overly hormonal' stemming from the fact people are reiterating the same points - alongside the people 'negging me' for simply stating my opinion. Also, the fact of what I actually did say - it was hardly the most controversial thing anyone had said & the overwhelming response confuses me.

I was not talking about people disregarding my opinion but I was simply validating and defending my viewpoint which has evidently caused quite the stir - the fact you find the need to further perpetuate this argument confirms that. I agree - seeing offers/rejections can be warming/depressing and I too would like to know, but I was just saying with regards to ' new members' - nothing else.

I don't intend to carry on this discussion nor clog up this thread with it - I apologise if I offended anyone, but I stand by what i said.
Reply 1076
Soooo... I'm not sure if I can survive the anticipation any longer.
Good things come to those who wait though right?
It's strange how medicine asks for our UCASs really early but is probably the last course to give out all their offers. But hey, as long as we get the offers in the end.

Although, this is driving me insane and I'm supposed to be revising for physics and biology next week. AHHHH
Original post by JoshMa
Soooo... I'm not sure if I can survive the anticipation any longer.
Good things come to those who wait though right?
It's strange how medicine asks for our UCASs really early but is probably the last course to give out all their offers. But hey, as long as we get the offers in the end.

Although, this is driving me insane and I'm supposed to be revising for physics and biology next week. AHHHH

I guess they just need a lot of time to sort through all the applications. :dontknow:

I'm going crazy too...revision has become my excuse to keep me away from track/email and my email/track has become my excuse to stay away from revision. :colondollar:

Good luck with Physics and Biology!
'Overly hormonal' stemming from the fact people are reiterating the same points - alongside the people 'negging me' for simply stating my opinion. Also, the fact of what I actually did say - it was hardly the most controversial thing anyone had said & the overwhelming response confuses me.

I was not talking about people disregarding my opinion but I was simply validating and defending my viewpoint which has evidently caused quite the stir - the fact you find the need to further perpetuate this argument confirms that. I agree - seeing offers/rejections can be warming/depressing and I too would like to know, but I was just saying with regards to ' new members' - nothing else.

I don't intend to carry on this discussion nor clog up this thread with it - I apologise if I offended anyone, but I stand by what i said.

I’m pretty sure no one thinks what you said was at all “controversial”, nor was the response particularly overwhelming :hmmmm: They’re just pretty normal, chilled replies. You just seem to be acting overly-defensive over nothing, and I responded because I thought your reply was a bit ridiculous really :tongue:
Original post by turnor123
I’m pretty sure no one thinks what you said was at all “controversial”, nor was the response particularly overwhelming :hmmmm: They’re just pretty normal, chilled replies. You just seem to be acting overly-defensive over nothing, and I responded because I thought your reply was a bit ridiculous really :tongue:

Well everyone's entitled to their own opinion - so I say we just agree to disagree and leave it there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending