The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King’s College London Open Week 12-16 March

Scroll to see replies

Original post by confusedexcited
Hey KCL official representative (catchy name),

I've recieved a conditional offer to study history at King's college, I was wondering firstly about whether you have any specific employment information for history at KCL.

Secondly, how do most King's college students deal with the lack of money? Do some get a job?

Thirdly, would you be able to provide any further information about the possibility for international study?

Thank you so much for bothering to even read my post!

Hi confusedexcited!

Yeah, catchy username hey?! :smile:

Thanks for your message. Congrats on the offer to study history with us!

So, in terms of graduate employment for history students, basically having a history degree is really well respected by lots of employers as it shows an ability to research, analyse, comprehend, construct an argument and defend it. Some of our recent graduates have gone on to become historians, lawyers, researchers for government departments (such as the Ministry of Defence), work for arts organisations, in banking and finance, media and TV, charity work and also teaching. So, a really wide range of career opportunities!

In terms of working while at university, our Careers & Employaility Service offers advice on getting part time work to fit around your studies. There are even plenty of jobs on offer at King's, such as in the Student Union. Our Student Services centre, the Compass, also offers lots of advice and workshops to help you budget while you're living in London. I can't lie, London isn't the cheapest place in the world to live, but there are so many opportunities to do really cool free/cheap stuff. Also, as student you get tons of discounts on clothes, food, drinks, transport etc! :smile:

Finally, there are lots of chances to study internationally at King's and we have lots of partner organisations across the world. We've got a Study Abroad office which will help advise you on where you can go to study and help you with your application. You can check out their website for a bit more info on this: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/abroad/discover/index.aspx

Hope this helps! :smile:

Fran
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Why haven't you replied to my application yet? <_<
Reply 162
Original post by King’s College London
Hi paulas

I'm afraid Erklam isn't live on the forum at the moment but he may be logging in later and can back to you; if not, he's back live with us tomorrow at 4.30 so I'll make sure he gets back to you on what he reckons :wink:

Thanks!

Fran

Thats fine, Thanks :smile:
Original post by Maddog Jones
Why haven't you replied to my application yet? <_<

Hi Maddog Jones,

Thanks very much for your message and I'm sorry to hear you're still waiting to hear back on your application.

You don't say which degree programme you have applied to, but some degrees have the procedure of waiting until all applications have been received, then process them all and then make offers after that, other programmes make offers in batches. We do get a lot of applications and it can take a long time to go through them, but everyone will be responded to. We have a deadline of the end of March to respond to applications so that's a couple of weeks away yet, so there's still time.

The best advice I can give you really is to keep checking your messages on the myApplication portal and UCAS track regularly as this is where you'll hear the decision. If you are getting really concerned, please try emailing the admissions team through myApplication and see if they can update you on the status of your application.

I realise its really tough to be waiting like this, but the admissions team will respond to you soon!

I'll keep my fingers crossed! :smile:

Fran
Hey,

In terms of your A100 Med course:

How many hours of dissection do you do a week roughly?

What percentage of graduates go on to be GPs/ consultants/ surgeons?

How do you look at the UKCAT?

Is intercalation compulsory, or do you have to get certain exam average grades to be considered?

And in terms of the campus:

Are you only allocated a room for your first year?

Can you pick your campus?

Reply 165
Original post by erklam
Hi,

The most basic difference between staying in King's hall and staying at an intercollegiate hall is that, as the name suggests, there are people from many different unis at the intercollegiates. It is also worth mentioning that from next year on, none of King's halls will be catered - so if you want to go for catered, go for the intercollegiates. At the same time, if you don't want catered, you should consider King's halls (since all intercollegiates are pretty much catered).

Every undergrad intercollegiate hall (except for Nutford) is in Bloomsbury, a very lively and very studenty area of London just next to the British Museum. King’s halls are spread out across London, e.g. there are some close to Guy’s campus, there are some just next to Waterloo campus, there is also one in Hampstead in a beautiful area but far from any King’s campus...King’s halls offer a wider range of facilities (in term of being an apartment or not, having your own kitchen or not, being ensuite or not, etc.) and there is also a wide range of prices.

I live in an intercollegiate hall and I love it! I choose to live in an intercollegiate because I knew I wanted catered (couldn’t cook for myself haha)...It's just an amazing atmosphere, I really enjoy eating with my neighbours every day, and the facilities are great too. There are squash courts in the basement, a pool table, a music room with a piano and a drum set, and we are also allowed to freely use the tennis courts in front of our halls. Occassionally, the hall also organises parties in the common rooms which can be fun. It does cost more than most (if not every) King’s hall, but if you consider that daily breakfast and dinner is included, it kinda equals out! Price was a huge factor to me and that is how I arrived at the decision to stay at the catered intercollegiates, paying more than I would at a King’s hall.

I hope this answered your question:smile: Let me know if you have any further questions...
erklam from KCL

P.s. and the food is not "revolting". It did get better this year, for dinner there is generally a choice of three meals, salad, fruit, some cake for dessert etc. They are also gradually introducing a pasta/salad bar for vegetarians which could also be nice for those who aren't vegetarians:smile: Also, you can leave feedback on comment cards at any time and they do actually listen to what you have to say!

Thank you for a brilliant reply! Do you find that the cost of the intercollegiates halls is justified to the average cost spent on food by KCL students at the individual college halls? Also, quick question added on, when can we start applying for any accomodation at all? Either halls or individual kings places? And when do we find out whether we achieved them? ALSO, sorry about the many questions, but i happen to just about live outside the M25 belt, does this mean i am guaranteed at least one year, in either college or kcl halls?

Cheers!
Original post by Natalie21
Hey,

In terms of your A100 Med course:

How many hours of dissection do you do a week roughly?

What percentage of graduates go on to be GPs/ consultants/ surgeons?

How do you look at the UKCAT?

Is intercalation compulsory, or do you have to get certain exam average grades to be considered?

And in terms of the campus:

Are you only allocated a room for your first year?

Can you pick your campus?

Hey Natalie21

Thanks for your message! I'm afraid I'm going to need to check some of this information with my colleagues in the Medicine Admissions team as they'll be able to help with the specifics. In the meantime, the School of Medicine website should help you with a bit more info: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/medicine/study/ug/about.aspx

But we will get back to your specific questions asap :smile:

Fran
Original post by nimanim
Thank you for a brilliant reply! Do you find that the cost of the intercollegiates halls is justified to the average cost spent on food by KCL students at the individual college halls? Also, quick question added on, when can we start applying for any accomodation at all? Either halls or individual kings places? And when do we find out whether we achieved them? ALSO, sorry about the many questions, but i happen to just about live outside the M25 belt, does this mean i am guaranteed at least one year, in either college or kcl halls?

Cheers!

Hi nimanim

I'll leave Erklam to get back to you on the intercollegiate halls bit of your question (it was a brilliant reply wasn't it?!).

However, I just wanted to say that applications are open right now for all accommodation (intercollegiate, King's and nominated residences) and the deadline for applications is 30 June.

As you live outside the M25 you are guaranteed a place in any of our halls (again King's, intercollegiate and nominated) for one year, though it may not be your first year. As you live outside of the M25 you are considered to be a higher priority to those who live within the M25 or have already undertaken previous higher education study. Therefore you should have a pretty good chance of securing accommodation and hopefully you will get in for your first year, but be warned competition for accommodation can be pretty fierce!

Hope this helps! :smile:

Fran
Hey Natalie21

Thanks for your message! I'm afraid I'm going to need to check some of this information with my colleagues in the Medicine Admissions team as they'll be able to help with the specifics. In the meantime, the School of Medicine website should help you with a bit more info: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/medicine/study/ug/about.aspx

But we will get back to your specific questions asap :smile:

Fran

That's fine - thank you :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 169
Original post by erklam
Hello Organon,

Congrats on your offer, it seems to be such a unique degree! I had a look into the course structure and it seems to you will be taking classes in both the Physics and Philosophy Departments. I could give you a rough estimate that there would be around 12-18 contact hours/week. If you would like to find out a bit more about the course in specific, you could have a look at this course handbook. (I am not sure how up-to-date it is but it could give you an idea of the course structure)
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/nms/depts/physics/Induction/UGhandbook-2011-12.pdf

To find out more specific details about your course, I'd advise you to contact the department directly via [email protected] or call +442078482271

I am pretty sure that no previous knowledge is required nor expected from you in Philosophy. As Philosophy is not a required course for admission into this course, you are probably going to have plenty of classmates who never did Philosophy before either!

I hope this helps but do let me know if you have any further questions!
erklam from the King's team

Thank you very much for your answer, erklam. I had a look at the course handbook, which I found very useful. By the way, would you have an idea of the number of applicants for Physics & Philosophy, as I found only one person here on TSR?
Reply 170
For the international relations course what type of work experience do you see as fitting for UCAS personal statement

Thanks
Hi :smile:

The requirements for the courses im looking to do are around AAA and an AS grade.

I was wondering if it would be looked upon more favourably if someone was to take on 4 subjects at the start of their AS year and then to drop one and carry on with 3 alevels in the second year..
OR if someone started of with 3 alevels and picked up an AS at the beginning of their second year..
In the end, in both situations you will end up with 3Alevels and 1 AS..

(Sorry im not very good at explaining :colondollar:)

Thank youuuuu :smile: :smile:
Reply 172
Thanks very much for answering these questions.

I have another question about the maths course.

Do you have to choose your 2nd semester modules at the start of the year at the same time as choosing your 1st semester modules? Or do you have a chance to find out if you enjoy your 1st semester selections before choosing for the 2nd semester?

Thanks in advance.
hello :smile:

how well respected is the war studies BA? i've asked a couple questions about it before, and researched other unis that offer it (birmingham, kent) but KCL seems to be a head above them all. also, can you give examples on some of the speakers that have visited the dept?

Reply 174
Hey,

I'm currently holding a conditional offer for Medicine 2012 entry and I was wondering which vaccines I need to get and also if I will need to get them myself before the start of the course.

Thanks!
Reply 175
Hi KCL,

I've just received a conditional offer for English Lang. and Lit. (Yay!)!
I have a few questions I'm hoping you can help me with:

1) My condition is that I pass the TOEFL (e.g.) but I'm wondering by which date the school needs my results? Also, assuming I pass, when will I receive an unconditional offer?

2) Will it be an advantage for me to send in my TOEFL-scores sooner rather than later (still within the deadline of course) in regards to receiving an unconditional offer? Basically meaning: Am I guaranteed a place if I pass the TOEFL?

3) Is it an advantage to apply as soon as possible for accommodation or has the date of the application no relevance as long as it is before the deadline (June 30th) ? Also, just checking: As a student not living within M25, I am secured accommodation in one of the halls, right?

Thank you for all the answers in here - they are very helpful:smile:

Hope to see you in the fall!

-Sofie
Reply 176
Hello, this is a question for the entry to Medicine A100:

I AM doing Chemistry at A-Level, but does it have to be at an A grade if I offer 3 other A-Levels at grade A (Bio, History and English Lit)?

Also, are A-Levels completed a year early accepted in the normal offer?

Thank you.
Hi NeuralYelir

Thanks for your message; great to hear you've accepted your offer with us!

Well, speaking from experience, I actually went straight into an MA after completing my undergraduate degree and I actually found that it was helpful to me as I was still 'in the zone' with regards to studying! I think if I had taken some time off in between it may have been harder to get back into it!

However, there were a number of people on my MA who were a few years out of uni or had done some work experience or were returning to study as a mature students but I actually found this really helpful as it was great to hear different perspectives from people with different experiences.

Most MAs have mixed groups of younger and more mature students so there will definitely be people in the same boat as you, also some of the older students may worry that they're at a disadvantage because they haven't studied for a while so you'll all just get stuck in and in no time at all you'll forget all about it :smile:

Hope this helps!:smile:

Fran

Thanks Fran! I feel much better now.
Reply 178
Dear Ruixue,
Thank you very much for your message.
It’s really great that you are interested in studying at King’s and the China & Globalisation MSc is truly innovative. Entry to our master programmes is competitive but all applications are considered on merit. It seems that you are doing all the right things to boost your application and I think you should pay particular attention to writing your personal statement, so that you can highlight your visits to China, internship etc.

Please bear in mind that there is a requirement for a 2:1 or equivalent from your bachelor degree and you may want to contact our Admissions Team to ensure that your predicted grades match that once converted to the English equivalent. You can get in touch with our Admissions Team at [email protected] or on +44(0)2078482765/2232.

I would definitely advise you to apply as soon as possible. You do not need to wait for your results as King’s will be able to make you a conditional offer based on the information you provide in your application. In your offer letter you will be told what grades King’s would like you to get from your bachelor degree and IELTS and once you meet those ‘conditions’ your offer will become unconditional.

It’s good that you don’t foresee any problems with your IELTS scores. The requirements for this programme are 7.0 overall; minimum 6.5 in Writing & Reading, 6.0 in Listening & Speaking.

In terms of term dates, enrolment will start week commencing 17 September 2012 but we usually run some activities for international students the week before so you may want to plan to London a little bit before then to get settled before the course starts!

I hope this information is helpul. You may also want to visit the China Institute’s website for additional information: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/aboutkings/worldwide/global/chinainstitute/index.aspx

Good luck with your application!

Laura

Hey Laura!

Thanks for the info. I am so happy you're doing this, makes me feel much more comfortable :smile:

However, I have a few new questions.
How long will a conditional offer be valid? What IF I get accepted into the programme, I will graduate June 25, but won't get my official degree on paper until July 4. I can understand that a period of about two months holding a conditional offer is pretty long. Is there a time limit of holding a conditional offer?

Also, about the 2:1 equivalent. I have been searching everywhere to see what the equivalent is in Dutch, but with no success. Some sites say your average has to be between 60-70%, other state that it has to be above 75%. What grades does King's want their students to have, being it a 2:1? As my average is 7,87 in Dutch, I take it it's 78,7% in the UK? I only had a 6 four times during my four-years study, so I really do hope my grades are well enough to be even considered for King's :smile:

How long does it usually take to hear whether you get a (un)conditional offer?
How many students can enter this programme?

thanks again for answering all my questions!

rachelle / 瑞雪 :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 179
Hi Fran,

In reply to an earlier question you wrote ...

King's has a Modern Language Centre where anyone can undertake language classes and we offer over 15 different languages. ... but you are able to study languages at the Modern Language Centre outside of your degree for a small fee, and sometimes for free (depending on your eligibility).

Do you know if something similar is available for picking up some computer skills e.g. to learn some programming?

Thanks for answering all of these questions - it's very helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest